Sunday, January 27, 2013

In The Bayou

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" is no longer playing in any movie theaters near me, so I rented the DVD from Redbox today.

  • My goodness, it's no wonder this child was nominated for an Oscar.  Quvenzhane Wallis has the eyes and the talent of an old soul.
  • I'm trying to understand these folks that were stranded in the Bayou.  Their lives are just so very different from mine, and I don't understand why they wouldn't want better ones if offered.  I guess they're afraid of that which is different...or they just can't bear to leave what's left of their homes.
  • "Once there was a Hushpuppy, and she lived with her daddy in the Bathtub."
  • I was ready to smack that father many times, then he ended up breaking my heart toward the end.  Dwight Henry sure had me feel sympathetic for him.
  • Loved the part where the beasts bowed to Hushpuppy. "You're my friend, kinda."
  • Since I was watching this at home, I became easily distracted, and thought that I might need to watch the movie again before returning it.  However, there I was, crying at the end, so I guess I actually was paying attention.
  • Great.  Now I'm hungry for catfish and hushpuppies. :)
I thought that the movie was well done, but I'm biased and I wish that Ben Affleck would have been nominated for the Best Director Oscar over this one.  The images are not for the faint of heart, so be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment