Thursday, May 10, 2012

Just Dance

Billy Elliot
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Pantages Theatre 


My friend June saw that Goldstar had discount tickets for "Billy Elliot", which neither us have seen on stage, so we decided to go. After we parked, we picked up June's wine nearby at a place I need to explore a little more when I'm not in heels. We had dinner at Dillon's Irish Pub & Grill, because it was close by and not as pricey as the other places.  I decided to order a Toasted Irishman, and also a drink.  The server did not get it.  June did, though, so that's why she's my friend.  The drink was tasty.  I need to try their avocado fries sometime.  That night, though, I wanted sweet potato fries instead.


We still had some time before the show started, so we stood outside the theatre and watched an a cappella group perform, called the Street Cats.  They did standard fare, and they were quite good.  I turned to June, though, and said that they needed drums.  I'm like that, you know.  When they sang "Stand By Me", I was happy.  They were taking requests, but I was too shy to ask for a Rockapella original.



Our seats in the theatre were in the mezzanine, in the 3rd row, left of center.  I was irritated by the way people dressed for the theatre, like in baseball jerseys and jeans.  I now we're in the balcony, but let's show some respect for the theatre, people!  Anyway, on to the show.



  • Ty Forhan, the Billy of the night, was simply amazing.  He tapped and danced ballet with such ease and just blew everyone away.  I jumped to my feet to applaud him at curtain call.  His singing wasn't as strong as his dancing, but he did a superb job.  The kid is 13, for goodness' sake!  Wow.
  • There are 4 kids that play Billy, probably due to child labor laws.  I would like to be able to compare all 4 Billys, but I don't have that kind of money or time to do so.  If they're anything like Ty, then everyone who sees this show is in for quite a treat.
  • Billy's best friend, Michael, was played by Jacob Zelonky, and he was hilarious and sang marvelously.  That kid is a star.
  • Probably the most Elton of all of the songs for me was "Expressing Yourself".  Loved it.
  • I thought it was weird that the orchestra didn't play the song from "The Nutcracker", and it was recorded music instead.  But maybe they didn't have enough string instruments to pull it off by themselves.
  • Oh, wow, that Nutcracker piece with the aerial work, with adult Billy dancing with young Billy.  That was cool.
  • I really liked Leah Hocking, who played Mrs. Wilkinson.  Great, strong voice.
  • I also enjoyed the performance of Rich Hebert, who played Billy's dad.  I was especially moved during "Deep Into The Ground".
  • "Electricity" = what every performer feels when they're on stage.  More wow-ness.
  • Grandma, played by Patti Perkins, cracked me up a lot.  
  • Aw, Mom's letter to Billy, and then his back to her.  Awww...
That was an enjoyable show.  I'm still amazed by that kid's dancing. Have I typed "Wow" yet?

Billy Elliot plays at the Pantages through May 13, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment