Sunday, August 22, 2010

Falling Through The Looking Glass

DCI Finals
Lucas Oil Stadium -- Indianapolis, IN
Saturday, August 14, 2010

This morning, I had some Concord Grape Jelly on my English Muffin.  I figured that I would just make it a Concord Blue Devils day, since I'd be wearing my new BD tank top, and they were still at the top of the standings.  Their "B" corps won Open Class Finals in the morning.  Congrats, BDB!

Revolution Horns
Bro and I were both still tired from the previous evening, and since SCV Cadets didn't go to Indy this year, we decided to stay in the hotel room and rest.  Bro heard something outside and realized that a horn line was warming up in the parking lot across the street from the hotel.  It just happened to be the line from the same corps that was warming up outside his house in Tempe!  Weird.  Revolution is stalking my brother.  Normal people don't mute everything inside just so that they can hear a horn line tune outside, do they?  Because I don't think that what we were doing was normal.  We just love hearing the sounds of drum corps, whether they're in our face or outside across the street.  I totally wanted to open the window so that we could hear them better, but we were on the 6th floor and the window wouldn't open.  No, we were not going to go outside in the heat and listen when we could hear just fine from inside.  They played "Simple Gifts" and it made us happy. :)

D'Saints at BWW
Once lunch time came around, we went back to Buffalo Wild Wings and our server Veronica recognized us and told the hostess to sit us at her station.  We were happy to see her, and I enjoyed my Loaded Peach Iced Tea very much.  I just had to order that Salt & Vinegar rub, and Bro ordered a Chipotle rub.  We figured that we would be sitting in a section that was not at the same level as my elusive sweet potato fries, and would save $ if we brought our own dinner to the stadium, so we ordered more wings to go.  We actually ended up leaving them in our hotel room because we were still really full from lunch.


We went on a "Backstage" tour of Lucas Oil Stadium, to see where the corps gets ready for competition, and see the entrances for the pit and the corps proper.  We walked through the actual tunnel that the corps go through, and the guide let us have some time on the field to take pictures.  In addition to field pictures, we could get up close to the DCI trophy and take pictures there, too.  Bro said that next year, he's bringing a football for us to throw on the field.  I just had to bend down and touch the turf.  I thought about how overwhelming it must be for the corps members to be in such a huge stadium, and said to Bro that I'd be the one distracted by the jumbotron, trying to look at my friends instead of actually performing.  Perhaps, though, knowing how focused I was in Drill Team, I would have paid attention to my drum major after all.  The USMC Drum & Bugle Corps was rehearsing in the end zone seats while we were there, and played a little bit for us, which was nice.  After the tour, we went to the Marketplace for a bit, and I saw that SCV had a tank top on sale.  Um, where was that yesterday when I wanted to buy something to wear today?  Whatever.  It would now be my top for the flight home.
Bro at Centerfield

Straws = Happiness
We checked out all of the concessions, and decided to get a drink before the show.  If you recall last year's blog entries, Bro and I had been annoyed that they didn't give out straws or lids for the  drinks, and took off the caps from the water bottles, all because they didn't want people throwing stuff at the teams.  Bro and I had a plan this year.  BWW Veronica had given us straws to take home with our drinks yesterday.  I also took straws from today's lunch.  So there we were, the two of us, sharing a drink with the straws that we brought.  Yeah, we're insane.  We did have one extra in case a nice person asked about them, but nobody said anything to us.  They might have said something while we were in the restrooms, but nothing.  I wonder how many people got our idea and will utilize it next year, though.  I'm still planning on bringing a box of straws next year.  I totally forgot this time.  Bro had to remind me about the mustard dispenser the other day.  We both forgot about needing our own bottle caps.  

Bro and I were happier today because we would actually get to have our Bro/Sis DCI bonding time during Finals Week.  Yeah, we've been talking about stuff before/after the shows, but it's not the same as sitting together.  With all the drama of the evening, it turned out to be a good thing, because otherwise my thumbs would have hurt from all of the texting.  Our seats were on the right 45-yard line, 6 rows down from the very top.  The couple that sat by Bro were parents of a contra player in BD, whose name was Dwight.  His friend, a euphonium player, was named Omar, so I promised to cheer for them.  APPARENTLY, Dwight used to be in the Boston Crusaders, whose style is military, and BD is more laid back and professional.  Dwight's dad agreed with me that "it's all about the swagger."  Dwight wants to stick with BD, and I don't blame him, G7 or not.

The show opened with the United States Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps, "The Commandant's Own".  Their cadence sounds like our alma mater's, so we especially like it.

Part I:  Tour of Duty, Mozart Sonata, Grace
Part II:  Hair, That's Life, Stars and Stripes Forever

They have a nice, full sound for just 47 horns (one was missing).  I liked the percussion feature in the Mozart.  Can you believe that the Marines played stuff from "Hair"?  Can you believe that they actually SANG "Let the Sunshine In"?  Well, it happened.  It was awesome.  Great soprano solo for the Sinatra piece, although I wondered why one of the people in the duet didn't have the same hat as the others.  Maybe she was still a cadet, I don't know.  I didn't care for their announcer, though.  He was just...not Brandt Cocker.  Bro decided that it would be cool to be a Commandant and have your own Drum & Bugle Corps.  Yeah, you could just have 12 groups come in and compete and stuff at your whim.  I, however, would be Emperor/Empress in order to not have to deal with elections. :)

The Star-Spangled Banner was played by the USMC while we sang along.  There's just something about that experience that makes me even more patriotic than usual.  I love singing that with them, especially when people around me are in tune, and even sing in harmony.  The Corps then marched off the field while playing The Marine Corps Hymn, and I said, "Ooh-rah!"  He asked if I was actually aloud to say that.  I said yes, because I have a jacket.  So that's all settled now.

The Volunteers of the Year were announced.  They were volunteers for Blue Stars, Phregiment, and 2 from Racine Scouts.  At this point, somebody a few rows in front of us took off his shirt to change it.  This couldn't be done in the restroom?  No, he did not have a nice body.  Perhaps that's why I would have preferred that he did that in the restroom, away from my eyes.

The Director of the Year was announced:  Dan Petersen of the Madison Scouts.  They then played a tourism bureau video for Michigan City, Indiana, where the Open Class Quarterfinals were held.  I remember seeing this last year.

We were then treated to a performance by the 2010 Open Class Champions, Blue Devils B.
Repertoire:  "Space" with music by Amin Bhatia, Eric Whitacre, Imgoen Heap, and John M. Meehan.  That was a cool show, using the BD "A" corps "Space" sound from their 2003 show, "The Phenomenon of Cool".  
Blue Devils B

We took a break and didn't listen to the Sponsor Recognition.  Then the real show started.

G-MEN
I can't see the guy with the Union Jack flag from way up in our seats.  Bro said that he was part of the staff, so he was up in front.  I like those pink swirly flags.  I have earrings like that symbol.  Why is there recorded singing?!  I didn't get sleepy this time, but Bro did.  The one that had a long nap.  What is that woman doing, standing on TOP of the multi-tenor drums?  Wow.  I didn't see that cross with the sheer flag and the horn in the middle before.  This is what happens when I watch while sleepy.  They only had 4 bass drums.  Bro wondered if someone was missing.

B K
WHY are you dropping your rifles on Finals night?!  Bro likes the Farandole, and asked if I ever played that with the orchestra.  I told him that nobody plays violin for 9 years without playing Farandole.  I like the Elgar, as I mentioned before, so we both really like this show.  I'll probably play this year's CD a lot, especially this show.

MADISON "EXPLORER" SCOUTS
OK, Mr. Cocker did not use the term "Explorer" yesterday, did he?  At least, I didn't hear him say it.  The crowd goes so wild when Madison enters the field that I may have missed that.  Bro told me to watch the very muscular and shirtless Japanese guy.  (Him, I'll watch).  DAYUM!  He has some serious upper body strength, grabbing onto one of the poles from their stands, and doing a horizontal lift.  My goodness gracious.  Bro told me that they have their old-school "M"s on their snare drums.  Neato.  I saw their helicopter move today.  APPARENTLY, it's very cool from where Bro was sitting yesterday, because they throw him up high.  I like when they throw the rifle from their stand, jump over the cymbal player , then catch the rifle.  They jump from those stands a lot.  Afterward, the DM threw his hat into the stands.  Or maybe just at the staff.  I couldn't see where it actually went.

B CRU
The dude sitting directly in front of me is tall, so I wasn't able to see my chair the throne.  I had to watch the monitor a lot.  During the quiet rest after the Rachmaninoff, we could hear the Blue Stars yell from either inside the tunnel or outside.  Wherever.  It shouldn't be audible on the CD, but we heard it.

Bro says that the curtain that they put up over one of the end zones really helps with the acoustics.  Yeah, but then we don't get to see the cool horseshoe seats.

Bro said to me, "Knock, Knock".  I didn't hear him at first.  Then I said, "Who's There?"  "Houdini".  Yes, I knew what was happening mid-way, but decided to annoy him by feigning ignorance.  I think it worked.

B*
The lady behind me thought that the boxes were coffins.  There are no vampires in the show, Lady.  That was last year, and not even this corps. Get with it!  ;)  I like how they're leaning back while kneeling as the guy gets into the box.  The judge should just sit on that chair.  Perhaps he should have sat on B Cru's throne, too.

SCV
Wow, they had a LOT of green feathers.  That did not make Bro happy, since that meant that a lot of people aged out this year.  At least the DMs still had red plumes.  Unless I just couldn't see the green feather in their massive plumes. (Go, Christopher!)  People could not contain themselves from yelling at the beginning, and their show starts very quietly.  Aw, somebody fell down!  Bummer.  Dude, she jumps on the plates at the end, before her tumble!  That's awesome.  Bro wondered where their 5th bass drum was.  

--Intermission--

PHREGIMENT
Go, Christopher's Girlfriend!  They open the show with all of the CG laying on their backs, so I explained that it starts off with them being dead.  Then later they go into the light.  But wait, it's the corps that goes into the light.  I don't know.  I like the dissonant chords during the big block.  I like that the soloist (Spirit Guide) is part of the Chevron.  My interpretation of the show:  "Eat a nectarine, go to heaven."

CADETS
Opps.  Geoffrey (I guess his name is supposed to be spelled like the Toys R Us giraffe) dropped the rifle when he wasn't supposed to do so.  At that point, the corps forms an arrow toward Geoffrey so that we pay attention to him.  Perhaps they shouldn't have this time.  Go, drums, go!  The dude behind me, after they performed the drum feature, exclaimed, "Good Lord!"  Bro asked me if they have a 5th bass drum.  I decided that Bro has become obsessed with the number of bass drums.  I heard the "Right/Left/Right/Left/Right" over the speakers this time.  UNNECESSARY.

CROWN
The marimbas were amped too high, so the balance was off to me.  There were some interesting positions, like one of the horn players was playing while doing a hand stand.  At least I think they were playing.  Bro's theory about Peter Pan saving the gal at the end:  This was actually Peter's second chance, because he didn't get to keep the girl in last year's "The Grass is Always Greener" show.  Oh, wow, Bro.  Seriously, I think he's totally right.  According to a blog by one of the corps members, they added a new ending before the Westchester show.  Here's his comment:  "Let's just say it didn't take much effort for me to learn the cymbal work since it was all too familiar."  My bro is the smartest brother EVER. 

Drama:  One of the horn players fell down as they were running to form the company front, and then he had trouble getting up. He kept trying, to the point that he was pretty much crawling to join the rest of the corps.  The drum judge went to help him a little bit and then members of the staff ran to him to pull him off of the field.  I was reading about this the next day, and it turns out that the point that he fell was fortuitous because, had he been in the middle of the field, or in the middle of the show, many more injuries would have happened like a train wreck.  Thank God nobody ran into him.  It also turns out that a Crown bus driver, while trying to help get the guy off the field, ended up breaking his own leg in the process.  The crowd hardly noticed the end of the show because everyone was so concerned for the kid.  He ended up having a tibia fracture, probably as a result of some earlier injuries that hadn't healed enough yet.  May you heal quickly from your surgery, Ryan B.  And to bus driver Stan, may you heal quickly, too. (He broke his right tibia).

BLOOOOOO
I like how the drummers are marking time side-to-side during the tenor/pit feature.  Did someone fall down on purpose?  If not, they recovered really well.  What was up with the falling down tonight?!  That's a kick-ass show.  Love it.

CAVALIERS
At the start of their show, everyone is in different positions, doing different things.  I pointed to one and told Bro, "That one's confused and thinks he's in SCV."  He appeared to be in Bottledance position.  Their chant is part of the US Marine Corps' Rifle Creed:  "This is my rifle.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.  My rifle is my best friend.  It is my life."  That second evil laugh is unnecessary.  Dayum, Sopranos!  Masks are creepy.  The crowd went so crazy after Smile that Dwight's dad thought the show was already done.  That is a lot of dang pirouettes in a row.  That dude broke his rifle at the end.  Did he always do that, or is this a Finals thing?  Is BD now going to break all of their mirrors?  Bro wants to see that, but there's already been enough bad luck here tonight.

B D
Go, Wesley!  Go, Dwight! Go, Omar!  (Bro said I did a good job.  I may not be loud, but at least I keep my promises).  I like when they're all in a line, jumping between the mirrors.  I just don't like when the mirrors are behind each other and you can see them being moved by the corps members.  I love that bit at the end: it reminds me of the actual twist in the movie "Laura".  I wonder if the director showed the movie to the corps.  Bro said that was the best he's ever seen them.  I honestly don't know how people don't get how amazing this show is, because it's really, really good.

FINALE
Hmmm...no darkness and smoke this year.  Perhaps they read my blog from last year.  I'm not sure whether or not that would be a good thing.  SCV *does* have 5 bass drums!  There must have been an injury.  I guess there were a lot of bass drum injuries this year, according to what I read in the online forums.  OK, Bro, you're not obsessed with the bass drums.


Finale: Top 12 Corps
Blue Devils' DM led all of the corps in playing The Battle Hymn of the Republic.  It was very well done.  They then showed a video, which the SCV and Cadets corps members did not watch, but all of the other corps did.  SCV's CG watched, though, so I told Bro that they're going to be in trouble.  


Yay!  BCru brought their throne to the finale!  My wish came true!




AWARDS

Fan Choice:  Carolina Crown -- that's two in a row that Peter Pan gets.  Congrats, Petah!

12) 85.80 -- Glassmen

Leadership Award:  Drum Major for the Madison Explorer Scouts

11) 87.10 -- Blue Knights

10)  88.95 -- Madison Explorer Scouts

Color Guard:  Blue Devils (well, I should hope so, getting perfect scores every night!)

9)  89.35 -- Boston Crusaders

Visual:  Blue Devils

8)  91.90 -- Blue Stars

Brass:  Blue Devils

7) 92.00 -- Santa Clara Vanguard

Percussion: Phantom Regiment

6)  93.15 -- Phantom Regiment

General Effect:  Blue Devils

5) 95.10 -- Cadets

4) 95.95 -- Carolina Crown

3) 96.40 -- Bluecoats (their CG just died during the salute) -- 1st time ever in the top 3

2) 97.75 -- Cavaliers

1) 98.90 -- Blue Devils (That's championship #14.)

Hmmmm...all of the G7 are in the top 7.  Conspiracy?  ;)

The Blue Devils remain undefeated since June 2009.  They have been PISSED since "Spartacus".  (giggle)

ENCORE -- Blue Devils
It would be cool if they could do their show without the mirrors.

The CG warmed up behind the mirrors instead of watching the corps while they played.  WHAT is up with that?!

F-Tuning (my favorite reason for BD to win)
Eternal Father, Strong to Save (the Navy hymn, and my personal favorite -- sigh!)
Seven-Fold Amen
Through a Glass, Darkly

Mirrors with Faces
Congratulations, Blue Devils!  West is Best.  AGAIN.  :)

Bro and I went back to the hotel and ate our BWW before going to sleep.  I laughed at the lewd lamp in our room, because the switch that you push is in a place that's just below where the lamp's "waist" would be, if you know what I mean.  In the morning, we rode the shuttle to the airport and parted ways.  I ended up taking an earlier flight because they needed volunteers when my flight was overbooked. So I hung out in the Vegas airport for awhile. We were delayed a few minutes,so my luggage was actually at LAX a few minutes before I arrived.  I had trouble finding my car in the parking lot when I got back to LA because I was stupid and thought that I didn't write down the number of my parking space when I arrived on Wednesday.  It turns out that I had typed it into my phone, which I didn't discover until 3 days later.  DUH!!!

You know what sucks about Finals?  It means that Drum Corps Season is over.  Sigh.  Until next summer, everyone.
The Famous Shoes on Lucas Oil Field


No comments:

Post a Comment