Friday, August 13, 2010

Praying for the Right Color

DCI Quarterfinals
Lucas Oil Stadium -- Indianapolis, IN
Thursday, August 12, 2010

I arrived in Indianapolis on Wednesday afternoon.  On my PHX to IND leg, I sat next to a woman whose son was a snare drummer for the Bluecoats, and had formerly been in SCV.  She also knew snare drummers in The Academy and Blue Devils, so I told her that I would root for them.  She didn't really want me to root for BD, though, because she didn't really like their show.  Oh, well, I like their show, so I'll root for him anyway.  Besides, I'm sitting with a bunch of BD people on Finals Night.  :)  

Bro arrived in the morning, and we walked into Downtown, and on the way, people noticed his awesome 1scvfan shoes.  We had a yummy lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings, where Bro ordered a yummy Salt and Vinegar Rub for his wings.  Veronica, our server, said that the Desert Heat rub wasn't that hot when I asked her about it. She said, "It's peppery, though."  I asked, "Black peppery, or chile peppery?"  She said, "Chile peppery."  Um, that means HOT!  So I ordered the Honey BBQ sauce, which was also tasty.  We may need to go back there later this week, if not every day.  There is a wine bar and bistro nearby that looks interesting, though.  

After resting in the hotel for a bit, we walked across the street to Lucas Oil Stadium and looked for someone to trade Bro's single semis ticket for two together.  No luck, so we got in line at the box office.  Bro had an idea of sitting in front if we couldn't sit near each other.  The very helpful lady said that she couldn't find anything in the same section as his current seat, so we decided that I would take that one (for picture-taking), and he would sit up front.  He asked if there was anything in row 1, and there were plenty of seats.  He asked how much.  She said, "$75.00."  He exclaimed, "FIVE DOLLARS?!" quite loudly, and a bunch of us laughed as the lady corrected him with "SEVENTY-five dollars."  Oh.  It's front row.  He took it.  His ears are going to bleeeeed.

We shopped around briefly and I think I found a tank top that I like, but didn't buy it yet.  Due to a last-minute decision, I wasn't able to sit with Bro since he got his tickets way ahead of time.  I was able to get a seat in the section right below his, so that was nice, because we had the same entrance, and he went up the steps, while I went down.  I was at the 10-yard line, 3 levels up, in the 2nd row.  The people who held the tickets for seats in front of me were not there for the first group of corps, so I had a nice view.  The Star-Spangled Banner was a recording, but I was still in the restroom anyway.  I envy guys that can still stand while listening to the National Anthem while they're using the restroom.  ;)

Corps with a * notation advance to Semi-Finals.

PIONEER -- 73.95
Repertoire:  "The Corps Prayer" -- Swing Low, Sweet Chariot by W. Willis, Make His Praise Glorious by B. Wolaver & R. Wolaver, The Prayer by D. Foster & C. B. Sager, Fantasie on the Doxology  by D. Allen, K. Gay & A. Hill, Old Hundredeth by Los Bourgeois

Sparkly!  Their pre-show was Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, which was very nice.  The color guard (CG) was wearing choir robes at the start.  I couldn't understand what the (recorded?) talking guy on the was saying.  This means that you should NOT have talking during your show!  Their pros included crosses, and at one point they spun their rifles around the cross.  That's kind of weird imagery for me.  They also had a big flag with praying hands on it at the end.  Nice show.  Where's the Irish, though?  Oh, OK, they had the shamrock.


Pioneer


Bro texted me to ask if Michael Cesario and Dennis DeLucia (DCI Afficionados) had sat near me.  Two young guys had sat down next to me, and I told Bro that unless we traveled back in time 30 years, the answer was no.  He later told me that he meant that Michael and Dennis were sitting a couple of rows behind me.  Oh.  I still giggled about it all night, and even told the young guys later.  I never got their real names, but they were really friendly, and we all had a good time watching. Since I thought that Bro asked if they were Dennis D and Steve Rondinaro, I nicknamed my two guys NotDennis and NotSteve.

CASCADES -- 74.60
Repertoire: "Silver Lining" -- Cloudsplitter Finale by J. Stamp, Allegro Impetuoso  bY V. Nehlybel, River Flows In You by Yiruma, Hope Awakes by J. Hinkel, Tomorrow by C. Strouse

As they entered the field, they made a white ranch-type fence.  I wondered if they were going to Caroliina Crown's 2007 show, "Triple Crown" at first.  Their pre-show was Tomorrow from "Annie".  I didn't understand why they were playing this while people were picnicking and playing games in the park, but I got it by the end.  Rain interrupted the nice day and Tomorrow was the promise of a new picnic day.  I like those lightning flags!  I also like the picnic cloth flags at the end.  The guy giving the weather status sounded like Dan Potter of DCI.   I texted Bro with "What was that butter churner thing?" at center field.  He told me that it was a weather vane.  Ohhhh.  Bro had seen this show back in Mesa, AZ, and when they started playing, rain started to fall, and they had to stop the show because of an actual lightning storm headed their way.  What a perfect show for that!  I also like that the rain show was done by a corps from Seattle.  :)

JERSEY SURF -- 75.70
Repertoire: "Living the Dream" -- Variations on America  by C. Ives, America the Beautiful by S. Ward, Festival Overture on a National Air by. D. Buck

Their new uniforms confused me until I remembered that I had seen a picture of their new uniforms.  They had red/white/blue wooden boards propped up.  I like the modified Old Glory flags.  I really like that jazzy arrangement of America the Beautiful, made famous by Ray Charles.  They had blechy lines, though.  I miss the fun Jersey Surf.

TEAL SOUND -- 77.80
Repertoire: "In the Presence of Enemies" -- Octavarium by Dream Theater, In the Presence of Enemies  by Dream Theater, Ra/Feed the Wheel by J. Rudess, Goodnight Kiss by Dream Theater, The Running Free by Coheed and Cambria

Teal Sound Battery
What happened to all of the teal?  A couple of years from now, they're going to wonder why they're called *Teal* Sound.  I like the CG blue though.  I also liked the beginning music, but then I spaced out.  I guess I was supposed to.  NotSteve & NotDennis said that they are big fans of Progressive Metal rockers Dream Theater, and they were surprised to see that a drum corps had done music from one of their favorite bands.  I said that I'd check out their music, but they said to sample a few songs, since it varies a lot.  





MANDARINS -- 78.10
I don't remember seeing those compass things, or the colorful shiny double flags before.  I do  remember the singing, though.  Somebody dropped an orange thing on the field.  The horns sounded a lot better tonight than when I last saw them.  As they walked off the field, someone fell down and had to be held up a little bit.  Bro mentioned that he didn't hear the horses neighing, and neither did I.  I figured that it just got muffled with the dome thing, but he said that they might have taken out a lot of the annoying sounds.

PACIFIC CREST -- 80.35
Yay!  I like that music.  CG gal ran off of the field at the end, and I wondered aloud if she was supposed to come back and help clear the equipment.  NotDennis/NotSteve said that he wants that job, then.  (I don't know which is ND and which is NS, so they will now be NDNS).  He also said that he thought that maybe she had to go to the bathroom.  Congrats on a good show, PC.  See you next summer.

CROSSMEN -- 80.80*
Repertoire:  "Full Circle" -- Heat of the Day, Minuano (Six-Eight), Letter from Home, The First Circle all by P. Metheny and L. Mays

I told NDNS that I miss the vampires.  They said that they miss the red uniforms.  Cool movement with some taking slow steps, and others taking fast ones.  It turns out that this is because of the different time signatures in the first piece, and Bro says that it is their signature move.  Oh, I forgot that I've seen that a lot from them.  I didn't see any circles formed by the corps, but I liked the circles on the CG uniforms, including the big open one in the back.  They dropped 3 plumes and one mallet, leaving one of the judges to do cleanup duty as he talked into his recorder.  Nice mello solo!  
Crossmen Circle Flags w/Bones in back

SPIRIT -- 82.85*
Repertoire: "Forging an Icon" -- Piano Concertno No. 1 by K. Emerson, Symphony No. 5 in B Flat Major by S. Prokofiev, Prelude (from Psycho) by B. Hermann, Brooklyn Bridge by M. Daugherty, Serenada Schizophrana by D. Elfman

I felt stupid when they entered the field, because I didn't recognize them.  They got new uniforms again!  Too much orange and blue.  Why are you hitting the ladder with your gold sledgehammer?  Oh, are you making something?  During the Hermann piece, the trumpets climbed short ladders and played with their mutes.  At one point, the CG lead hammered at the snare drummer's head.  They must not like each other.  According to the program, Spirit is back to their roots in Georgia, which explains those Delta props that they were holding up.  Oh, icon.

--Intermission--
Bro and I went to concessions, which seemed to run a lot smoother than last year's debacle.  They ran out of sweet potato fries before it was my turn to order, though, and as we were going to our table, I saw them wheeling in more boxes of them.  It is now my goal to get sweet potato fries there sometime this weekend.  I admired the fancy Colts carpet as we ate.  When I got back to my seat, a familiar-looking couple wearing Crown gear was seated in front of me, slightly blocking my view.  

Al Chez of Crossmen and Late Night with David Letterman fame played a great rendition of America the Beautiful.  We are now ready for Big, Loud, Live to be shown in the movie theaters.  Hello, America!

TROOPERS -- 84.20*
Repertoire: "Wanted" -- Wanted Dead or Alive by J. Bon Jovi & R. Sambora, Trittico, Movement 1 by V. Nelhybel, Proven Lands (from "There Will Be Blood") by J. Greenwood, Our Town Suite by A. Copland, Borinage by M. Gordon, Journey to the Centre of the Earth by P. Graham, Night Flight (from "Swing Shift") by K. Bunch

Nice waterfall! A CG guy shot a bunch of people at the beginning of the show, and then later on, it's the corps guy that is held prisoner.  So who's the bad guy?  I like the blue/purple flag with the yellow X like their modified symbol.  I like all of the ripples that the CG and corps proper do.  I also like the ending with Bon Jovi's melody being played on the xylophone.  As they walked off the field, the CG gal still had her rifle aimed at the corps guy, and he kept his hands in the air.  

COLTS -- 84.7*
Repertoire:  "True Colors" -- Green by M. Torke, Alone in a Crowd (from "Pollock") by J. Beal, One Man Show (from "Pollock") by J. Beal, True Colors by T. Kelley & W. Steinberg, Appalachian Morning by P. Halley

Ooh, green rifles and sabers!  Then there was a touch of blue on some stuff, like one blue rifle, a little bit on a drum, and a blue cover on a horn.  There was also some gold on the marimbas, but I saw that other corps had the goldtone, too, so that was probably not a thematic choice.  I like the pink flags.  One CG dude kept stealing stuff, like sticks, and a cymbal, and a mellophone, and a rifle.  I guess he wanted to be his own show?  Really nice soprano duet.  Lots of dancing by the corps, and they had some interesting positions during the soprano ensemble solo.

THE ACADEMY -- 84.25*
Go, Romeo!  


The CG did not have these uniforms when I saw them.  Now they're in red robes with hats, and the guys are in purple with gold hats.  I also don't remember her being naked.  Ooh, and now there are carpets with more naked people.  I like the show more now.  Enjoyable and entertaining.  NDNS enjoyed seeing the naked girls.  Ok, no, they weren't exactly naked, but there was a lot of skin.

GLASSMEN -- 87.15*
Repertoire: "The Prayer Cycle" -- Act I: MERCY; Scene 1 -- Reverance (Mercy from "Prayer Cycle") by J. Elias, Scene 2 -- Ritual (Primacy of Number from "Naqoyqatsi), Scene 3 -- Conflict (Terminal); Act 2: HOPE (from "The Prayer Cycle"); Act 3: FAITH Scene 1 -- Doubt (Epiphanies, Fanfares and Chorales) by R. Nelson, Scene 2 -- Devotion (We're Jungle Creatures from "The Lion in Winter") by J. Barry

I like the sheer flags with the religious symbols, as well as the other sheer flags.  During the pre-show, one of the corps members is praying.  This is what I got from the show:  "I will pray and then open my dress for you, then keep stripping until the final bow."   I don't think that's what they meant to convey, though.

MADISON SCOUTS -- 89.15*
Repertoire: (no title) -- Slaughter on Tenth Avenue by R. Rodgers, Rhapsody in Blue by G. Gershwin

Scouts Photo Op
Ooh, I like this show.  Classic Madison.  I like the way it starts with a photo op of the corps proper, with a big flashbulb pop.  The soprano solo intro for "Rhapsody" is to DIE for.  Very cool solos on the stand thingy, too.  Um, they did a helicopter throw!  That's the move that cheerleaders aren't allowed to do because it's so dangerous, according to one of the "Bring It On" movies.  Yeah, I watch too many of those things.  Anyway, what is the color guard doing, playing all of those cymbals?  That is cool!  The short sleeves on the new corps uniforms are weird.  I like those white drums.  Enjoyable show.  I can't wait to see it again.

The Crown people in front of me got up and left.  I texted Bro about it, telling him that I think these were the same people from last year.  He said that then I'd probably never see them again tonight.  I laughed. They never did come back last year!


BLUE KNIGHTS -- 88.40*
Repertoire:  "Europa" -- L'Arlesienne Suite No. 2: Farandole by G. Bizet, W.N. (from Enigma Variations) by E. Elgar, Nimrod (from Enigman Variations) by E. Elgar, Symphony No. 1 Mvt. 4 by J. Brahms

ACK!  That's a lot of orange, and they're blue....and of course, Bro loves it.  The announcer asked, "Is your corps ready?"  and the Drum Major (DM) was still walking on the field. The lady next to me and I answered, "Um, no."  They ended up not getting a time penalty, most likely because it wasn't their fault that they entered the same tunnel that the Scouts exited.  Yay -- the hand painted flags are back!  That made me smile.  Not a flash show, but it was beautiful.  Orange modified rifles and all.  

BOSTON CRUSADERS -- 89.75*
Repertoire: "Thy Kingdom Come!" -- Throne Procession and Fanfare by J. Kennedy, Symphony No. 10 in E Minor, Op. 93, Mvt. II by D. Shostakovich, Power Shift by J. Kennedy, Planet Damnation by J. Psathas, Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, Op. 43, Variation XVIII by S. Rachmaninoff, The Quest for Glory by J. Kennedy

I told NSND that my chair was here and I needed to sit in it.  I told them that they would laugh if I went down to the field and actually sat down, then was carried off by security.  They said they'd YouTube it.  I decided that I wanted to see the rest of the weekend's shows, and stayed in my blue seat, forgoing the throne.  













BCru is celebrating their 70th anniversary this year, as noted on the throne with the LXX notation.  I like that pas de deux.  The corps must do a lot of yoga, as they let each other sit on their lower legs while they lie on their backs.  I like the pink/purple flags with the gold crown.  I want them to bring that throne to the finale retreat. 

--Intermission--
I texted Bro to tell him that the Crown people still hadn't returned.  He answered "Sounds about right."  I giggled.  They NEVER CAME BACK.  The Bro Knows.  

Dan Potter hosted the annual Zildjian Dash to the Crash.  Both of the kids, brothers of a Boston Crusader corps member, fell down on their way to the mallet, due to all of the spinning.  We were reminded to party at the Hard Rock Cafe (emphasis on the -fe), and I told NDNS that you have to do the spinning thing to get in the door.  We all imagined a bunch of drunk people trying the Dash to the Crash.

BLUE STARS -- 91.65*
Repertoire:  "Houdini" -- Notes on a Scandal by P. Glass, Morning Passages by P. Glass, Primacy of Number by P. Glass, The Illusionist by P. Glass, Trapped by F. Sullivan, Tearing Herself Away by P. Glass, The Mountain by M. Shaiman, Nixon in China by J. Adams

I had to ask NDNS who this corps was, because I didn't recognize them.  They told me, and I asked, "Where is the blue?!"  We could only see a little bit of blue, and were puzzled. It must be the Blue Stars, though, because they have those panel things, which were pictures of Harry Houdini and his wife.  The CG was dressed in straightjackets, and they had props of boxes, and chairs.  They were tied to the chairs a lot and escaped.  At the end, there was an open box, and Bro and I guessed that someone must have escaped from the box, but neither one of us saw anyone go into it.  I like how the battery moves through the rest of the corps block in the last piece, and I also like how the low brass trades notes with each other during that.  They have flags with keys on them.  I didn't even notice until later on that they were holding keys because I was distracted by the Bartok Red in the tunnel.  :)

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD -- 91.90*
I just love all of the different musical parts of the show, with the different sections playing off of each other.  That's a different ending, right?  Because, like, I now know that it actually ended.  I like it:  it ties in better now with the beginning, where the CG gal runs up to the top of the corps circle, and now at the end, she tumbles down off of the corps.  Bro confirmed to me that yes, the ending is new, along with a bunch of other movements during the show.  

PHANTOM REGIMENT -- 92.35*
Repertoire: "Into the Light" -- The New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms  by M. Kamen

Phregiment Show End
The corps was not on the field when the show started.  I was told by NDNS that the FieldPass radio was saying that they hide the corps before and after the show.  I said, "That's why they're called *Phantom* Regiment."  They told me to rent one of those radio things, because it's cool to hear the commentary.  I may just do that.  They had let me listen to a little bit of it before B Cru, and it was like watching it on PBS all those years ago.  Pretty purple dresses.  How do those white uniforms not get dirty from all of the laying down on the grass?  Nice flugel soloist, whom is not mixed in with the corps most of the time.  He's like the narrator of the tone poem, I guess, because at one point he points as the CG gal runs by each corps member.  I liked that.  I also like the flat that looks like the inside of a nectarine, with the peach and reddish colors.  The show is lovely, though it doesn't move me emotionally like other Phregiment shows.

CADETS -- 94.45*
Repertoire: "Toy Souldier" (sic) -- Procession of the Nobles (from Mlada) by N. Rimsky-Korsakov, Overture to "School for Scandal" Op. 5 by S. Barber, Children's Dance (from "Merry Mount Suite")  by H. Hanson, Dance of the Tumblers (from "The Snow Maiden") by N. Rimsky-Korsakov, March of the Toys (from "Babes in Toyland") by V. Herbert

First reaction from NDNS (both of them):  "What is this?!"  That's not red.  Aren't they supposed to be red?  I said that it was "red, with a pinkish hue."  One of NDNS is a Seinfeld fan and got the reference.  I knew I liked these guys for a reason.  


Second reaction, now from Sherry:  "Oh, they're TOYS!"  It turns out that the pinkish soldiers were the colorguard members.  The pre-show puzzled us as somebody dressed as a kid tried to get the attention of the audience.  Then the announcer asked, "Drum Major Little Jeffrey, is your corps ready?"  and NDNS and I said, "WHAT?!"  and the kid guy started the show.  So he's the kid, playing with the toy soldiers.  If you are familiar with the Cadets, you know that their uniform is a very traditional soldier-like look, so to me, they are the only corps whom could pull this off, and that they did.  It was awesome.  Yes, Sherry actually liked an entire Cadets show.  I can't remember the last show of theirs that I enjoyed from beginning to end.  The kid was a bit annoying, but I was fine with it.  I mean, Hello.  There was NO talking.  YAY!  I liked the herald trumpeters that played during Procession.  Really cute show.  I freaked out a little bit toward the end, because I had a deja vu of Jeffrey being dressed into one of the soldiers. Yes, there was a glitch in The Matrix.  Trippy.  I know I dreamed this before. Where's my token?!

CAROLINA CROWN -- 94.85*
Repertoire:  "A Second Chance" -- Symphony No. 2 by G. Mahler, Symphony No. 2 by A. Khatchaturian, Danzon No. 2 by A. Marquez, Nimrod (from "Enigma Variations") by E. Elgar

As the corps entered the stadium, NDNS asked, "Ths is the Cavaliers?!"  I said, "No. This is Crown."  He had the list of corps in his head, and had forgotten about Crown.  Relieved, he was ready to watch the show.  Now that I know the repertoire, I get it.  All second movements from stuff.  I liked the Tango, and suddenly remembered that I was missing the finale of "So You Think You Can Dance".  (Congratulations, Lauren!)  They do a lot of stuff with their feet, like the corps twirling a flag with their feet while lying on the ground.  I didn't notice the goldtone horns until they were already on the field for 5 minutes.  Peter Pan saves the girl at the end.  At least, that's what it looked like to me, because the guy was dressed in green.

CAVALIERS -- 96.55*
Repertoire:  "Mad World" -- Mad World by R. Orzabal, Harrison's Dream by P. Graham, Dismantling Utopia by P. Metheny, Smile by C. Chaplin

I kiddingly told NDNS that this was the Blue Devils.  He said, "I will accept pink for maroon, but I will not accept Green for Blue."  Other NDNS said, "I feel like I've gone color blind."  Hee hee!

Mad Cavaliers




So the CG looks like demons, or Adam Lambert.  Or whatever scariness.  They were going kind of crazy, and the show ends with corps members going crazy instead.  It was cool.  Wait -- they're ALL carrying rifles!  Then the CG threw their rifles over and between them.  WHOA.  Classic Cavaliers WHOA.  What are they shouting?  Is it stuff from "Stripes"?  Because at the end of the shouting, I know they're saying "Boom chakalakalaka Boom chakalakalaka Boom". 

BLUECOATS -- 96.25*
Repertoire:  "Metropolis: The Future Is Now" -- 160 BPM (from "Angels and Demons"  by H. Zimmer, Aha! by I. Heap, Metropolis by D. S. Thower & T. Rarick, Asphalt Cocktail by J. Mackey

Go, Nathan!


 I like the beat in that last piece.  So does Bro.  It turns out that PC does it in their show, too.  Oh.  I like the window pane flags.  Why was that CG gal messing with the big bass drum?  Good, solid, drum corps with no props.

BLUE DEVILS -- 97.90*
...speaking of props.  ;)  Go, Wesley!  Oh, THAT surprise ending!  The guy gets pulled into the mirror, and comes out the other one.  CG now looks kinda topless.  That's new.  I still like this jazzy show.



...AND those Crown people NEVER. CAME. BACK.  The Bro knows all.

Bye, NotDennis and NotSteve!

Encore
The Hellcats from the West Point Band played their traditional stuff.  That was cool.
Hellcats of West Point Band

Off to the hotel we went, and Bro couldn't sleep because he was figuring out time zone issues with Daylight Savings Time and the non-compliant states.  He was going nutso, seriously.

Next up: Semi-Finals

No comments:

Post a Comment