Saturday, August 7, 2010

Holy Headline, Batman!

Open the gates, and seize the day!


This month, the Arclight Cinemas are paying tribute to Disney in conjunction with its fan club D23, by screening some classic Disney flicks.  I went to the screening of "Newsies" at the Arclight Pasadena last week.

  • When the Arclight greeter did her spiel, someone in the back yelled, "How about singing?!"  and she said, "Yes, you can sing."  YAY!
  • Director/choreographer Kenny Ortega was there and was very excited to see that the show was sold out.  His first words to the audience were "Carrying the Banner!"  Since he had been sitting in the back of the theater, I started to wonder if it was him that asked if we could sing along.
  •  In the audience were a couple of people that worked on the movie, including the set designer, which surprised Kenny, and he hugged him and said, "You're amazing!"  Kenny then did a short Q&A.
  • D23 had a trivia contest to give away some stuff.  I only wanted the original "Newsies" movie posters, which I didn't win.  
  • I told the gal next to me that we were allowed to sing, and she was like, "Cool!  That's my cigar, I'll steal another" (the opening lyrics to the movie) and said, "I'm ready!"
  • Big applause for Christian Bale, Gabriel Damon (Spot) and Robert Duvall.
  • People were singing, but it wasn't very loud, and you could hear the movie just fine.  I sang quietly to myself, except for "Seize the Day" and "The World Will Know", because pretty much everyone was singing or shouting "NO!" during those moments.
  • I was sooo wishing that Bro was there with me, because he loves the songs, too. 
  • At one point, Christian Bale's character, Jack, is scaling a wall by the refuge, trying to break out his friend, Crutchy.  As he hid from the warden and got away, I said to myself, "He can do that because he's Batman!"
  • I love watching a bunch of guys dance.
That movie makes me happy.  I was glad to see it on the big screen, and I wonder if I'd ever done so before.  I just know that I've seen it on TV a LOT of times.  Thanks, Arclight, for the screening!

No comments:

Post a Comment