Saturday, July 24, 2010

I've Always Wanted to Learn How to Play the Marimba

Western Corps Connection
Monday, July 5, 2010
Riverside Community College Wheelock Stadium


In the morning, we all talked about the fireworks that we saw the night before.  I liked hearing Brady talk about fireworks that looked like rain.   Miss O had fallen asleep, so I don't think she saw much.


We said our goodbyes to Auntie Milda, Allen and Allison, then Rudy and Jeff arrived and met Olivia and Rudy tickled Brady before we left for RCC.  


We found Bro's car and parked by him then took the long pathway over to the marketplace, where we met up with Bro and V.  I went all crazy and bought a smoothie in a pineapple, and Rudy was slyly able to avoid the very long line for the food he wanted.  We happily walked to our seats at the other side of the stadium, and I promptly spilled smoothie.  Oops.  It was just a little bit, but still...sticky.  Although their seats were not next to ours, Rudy and Jeff hung out with us until the actual ticketholders arrived.


The Star-Spangled Banner was performed by the Moreno Valley All-City Youth Band, and then they played some other selections.  
I wondered aloud:  
Sher:  Have the drummers played yet?
V:  (shaking head)  One of them yawned.
They finally played some Sousa march, which was probably Washington Post, during which the drummers actually played their instruments.


SO CAL DREAM


Repertoire:  "Necrology -- A Celebration of Life and Times" -- I.  Excitement; II.  Sadness; III.  Anger;  IV.  Fear, V. Celebration by G. P. Nash


The color guard was dressed in purple, with the females in tutus.  I like the double white sheer flags during the ballad.  At one point, the snare drummers were using their hands instead of their sticks.  




CITY SOUND


Repertoire:  "Over Under" -- Selections from The Who's Rock Opera "Tommy"


Oh!  Big Balls!  The corps kind of look like cops, while the CG had strips of color in their hems.  They just need to not roll on those balls, because they get out of control.  V said, "I'm not really a fan of exercise class."  Pretty good sound, though.




INCOGNITO was absent again.




IMPULSE


They had some intonation issues during "America the Beautiful".  Overall great sound, though.  I like the bow and arrow move done by the horns.  I don't remember the rain sticks from the other night.  The drumline played their cadence as they marched off of the track.  I like that.




GOLD


Repertoire: "Primary Colors" -- Yellow; Blue; Red --all selections by T. Larson


NICE!  Rudy asked where they came from.  I told him that this was the tiny corps from a few years ago and reminded him of the CG guy I met at the Calabasas show.  He was quite surprised, as was I.  I like the big red flags, and their new uniforms.




VELVET KNIGHTS
VK Mirror on Wheels


OMG, they have a MIRROR!  For those of you that don't know, VK likes to mock another drum corps' show every year in little ways.  Last year, they had a chair that looked exactly like BD's.  This year, they have a mirror hanging from the DM stand.  I guess we know what they did yesterday on their day off. :)  The DM used it to primp before giving his flower away for "La Vie en Rose".  I laughed and laughed.  "SHARK!"  then they ran off the field.  I must not have heard them shout the other night, because I was puzzled by their running.  Fun as usual, VK.  Now just work on that intonation, please.














REVOLUTION


Repertoire:  "Fade to Black" -- Liberty by S. Vai; Uprising by Muse; The Motive Revolution by E. Whitacre; Turbine by J. Mackey; Tarantella (from Ethel) by P. Kline


Our reactions as they entered the field:  "Death."  "In the '70s."  "Is it about Elvis dying?"  "No, Scrubs."  "Death in a hospital."  I like their gray and sparkly plumes.  I lke that DM!  He really gets into it.  The Scary Shroud Lady's dress is turning green from grass stains on her hem.
Scary Shroud Lady and her corps






--INTERMISSION--


PC Color Guard
PACIFIC CREST


GREAT sound, PC!  I really like that show, especially musically.  Rudy loved all of the dissonant chords.   I lamented that day that it would most likely be the last time I'd see this show live.  Well, circumstances have since changed, and now I DO get to be at Indy for Quarterfinals!  YAY!  See you there, PC!














No, they're not falling
THE ACADEMY


V pointed out that one of the marimba players looks like a young Josh Duhamel.  Somebody lost their shoe.  CG dropped her saber, then kicked it and couldn't pick it up.  The guard work needs help.  I'm so used to them having great CG, so it's disappointing.  Rudy texted that the way amped synthesizer was very distracting.  I responded with "wait until you see this next one". 








MANDARINS


...And now there's talking and a galloping horse.  Sigh.  Those silver flags really shimmer in the light.  Very pretty, especially with so many of them.  Bro said that he saw the guy playing the pitches of the gal singing on the synthesizer.  I still don't like it.




SANTA CLARA VANGUARD


MARIMBAS!!!  Wow, that was awesome.  I'm loving this show more every time I watch it.





BLUE DEVILS


The uniforms have mirrors on them, and are silver under the pants cape.  Love it.  Damn, marimbas!  That's fast!  (I tend to focus on marimbas a lot when Rudy is there, because his mom always wanted to learn how to play one).  I like that ending stance.  Rudy thinks that BD made a deal with Satan for their awesomeness.  Why do you think they have that name, Roo?  ;)

See how their rifles are all at the same height mid-air?  Awesome.




ENCORE


Hi, Chris!  Love, Mom
Whoo Hoooo!!!! VANGUARD!!!!
The DMs came up to the stands near us in order to conduct.  I tried to say hi to Christopher for his mom, but then didn't have the nerve to freak him out.  V didn't understand why Chris and the CG lead had to be there, since they didn't do anything, but I guess the leaders just wanted to have their entire presence together.








The brass ensemble played "Danny Boy"
They all played a section of "Bartok"
Then, of course, their anthem, "Send In The Clowns".  


I'm a happy girl. :)


SCORES


All-Age
63.35 So Cal Dream


Open Class
60.25 City Sound
62.95 VK
69.80 Impulse
69.90 Revolution
72.15 Gold


World Class
68.10 Mandarins
70.25 PC
74.10 Academy
80.70 SCV
84.50 BD


Bro and V drove back to Wildomar with Rudy and Jeff, and I went home.  Bro was happy that he would get to hear all of the post-show talk from Rudy.  No crying this year, though.



No comments:

Post a Comment