Thursday, July 8, 2010

Beyond Infinity, My Friend



I wasn't able to get the seats that my friends and I wanted on opening weekend at the El Capitan, so we saw "Toy Story 3" in 3-D the next weekend, instead.  Mox had already seen the film and said that we'd cry, so Linda supplied tissues for us.  For some reason, there was a line to get in, even for the VIP seats.  That was strange to us, but Linda and I had fun as we laughed at the 2 guys in line who turned down a panhandler because she clearly had enough money to buy nail polish.  (Her toes were painted).  I just loved the fact that they *noticed* the nail polish on her toes.


We picked up our refreshments and Mox was a bit disoriented since our seats that night were on the opposite side of the seats from where we usually sit.  We listened to the organist and wondered how he knew when he should stop playing.  Then Linda and Mox figured out that he probably keeps playing until he feels the organ descending.  Duh, Sherry.  I then wondered if there would be a pre-show, but there wasn't.  Linda and I got ready with her Bullseye and my Jessie.  Yeeehaaaaaw!






I also saw the movie a couple of weeks later, with Bro, V, and Brady, for Brady's first movie theater experience.  I wish I had a picture of him in his kid-size 3-D glasses.


The Pixar short, "Day & Night" was humorous and thought-provoking.  What would you discover if you got over your fears of the unknown?  I loved the artistry and the concept.  Brilliant. Dr. Wayne Dyer's quote is inspiring.


Then it was time for the 3rd installment of "Toy Story 3".

  • OK, that spaceship reminded me of "Pigs in Space".
  • Death By Monkeys.  Hmmm....a little bit of foreshadowing?  V said that her uncle gave her one of the monkeys with the cymbals when she was a kid, and was creeped out by it back then.  Dude, there's a reason those things were in Haunted Mansion Holiday.
  • Loved the video clips of Andy growing up, and yes, his mom made me cry when she looked at his empty room.
  • I don't know why the toys never listen to Woody when he tells them important stuff.  Didn't they learn from the first movie?!
  • People are still allowed to leave trash bags on the sidewalk?
  • I like the fact that the toys still hide under stuff as they walk around in public.
  • I've never heard of some of the toys at Sunnyside, but people say they've had Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear.  I feel deprived somehow, because I never had a strawberry-scented bear, but also feel better that I didn't have the stuff that creeped me out.
  • They mentioned Hungry Hungry Hippos, and I cheered.
  • I want a Buttercup.
  • Mr. Pricklepants made me giggle every time he talked.
  • The Caterpillar Room is proof that when the label says "For Ages 3+", people should really follow the guidelines.
  • Totally loved the Ken Fashion Show.  (For you "The Office" fans, this is what I now hear in my head as I type this:  "Fashion Show! Fashion Show! Fashion Show at Lunch!")
  • Smart Barbie is awesome, and that's not just because she's voiced by Jodi Benson.
  • Te amo, Spanish Buzz.  
  • Brady started wanting to leave toward the end -- but then he saw the trash truck and was completely mesmerized.  The boy loves trash trucks.  Seriously.
  • The scene at the dump scared me and I almost cried, thinking, "They wouldn't end it like this, would they?"
  • I heart Bonnie, and the way she makes sounds on her microwave.
  • I love that Andy still cherished his favorite toys.  It made me dislike my mother for making me throw/give away stuff, though.  There must be something I've suppressed from my childhood in there somewhere.  Well, yeah, and in adulthood.  Whatever.
  • That whole ending was sweet as can be.  Tears streamed down my face for probably at least 10 minutes.  Both Times.  Even right now.  Sigh.
At the El Cap, we made our way to the Toy Story Fun Zone.  We played the video games (and Linda and I showed our true non-gaming skills), we all went through the maze, and we watched "Dancing with the Toys".  I loved seeing Buzz dance with Jessie, and I love that Gipsy Kings arrangement.



A fun time was had by all.  Pixar does it again!

In Andy's words, "Thanks, guys."


2 comments:

  1. Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear was invented for the movie, but Pixar did a good job of convincing people it was a vintage toy, which is probably why you've found people that think they had one as a kid. :) Pixar even created some vintage TV commercials for the toy and uploaded them to YouTube.


    As for the movie, think about how much the ending got to you and then imagine watching it as a parent of a child named Andy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the "death by monkeys" bit, and yeah, it was totally fitting that cymbal monkey was evil - those things are danged creepy.

    There was a montage of Andy growing up that was in the trailer that I don't recall seeing in the actual film. The trailer made me sob.

    Today, I bought PVC toys of Buttercup and Mr. Pricklepants. They soooo should make plush of them.

    BTW, I also saw an electronic Buzz Lightyear that dances and talks in Spanish. :)

    Ohhhhhh, that's why you said that Brady needs that trash truck toy. I thought it was hysterical that Lotso is there, and he has phrases he says too.

    Yeah, sobbing at the end, and thinking to myself: "How the heck am I ever going to get rid of any of my toys? I need to find a Bonnie."

    I *loved* the Fun Zone at the El Cap. I particularly enjoyed the ball toss with the aliens and them going "oooooooo" when you got the ball in the hole. We played the one with the pea pods too, but that was so much harder. The husband got one, but I never made one in.

    ReplyDelete