Sunday, July 11, 2010

Don't Ever Look Back

Oscar Noir: Week Seven
 The Strange Love of Martha Ivers
Monday, June 28, 2010

Liz was unable to join me for this one, so I was on my own.  I arrived fairly early, so I was near the front of the line.  Right before they opened the doors for us, the series' representative and speaker Randy told all of us at the front that because people had done stuff that was "illegal", this would be the last year for them to offer the series pass.  What was this "illegal" stuff?  He said something about codes against the fire marshal, and the treatment toward the ushers/staff.  He also said that the phone calls/complaints he received stated that the perpetrators were the ones that were often at the front of the line.  So we were told that we should advise whomever it is (if it isn't us to whom he was currently yelling -- or maybe speaking loudly, so we could hear him) that they ruined it for everyone else.  He then said that we should all be aware that just because we had series passes, this doesn't mean that we're members of the Academy, which I guess some people had thought they were, by just paying $30.00.  Seriously?  So they couldn't just talk to whomever was giving them trouble AT THE TIME IT WAS HAPPENING, and revoke their passes?  WTF?  I had not seen any of this behavior in all of the weeks that I attended.  I didn't see any fire codes being violated (not that I know all of the codes).  I did not see people standing in the aisles and blocking exits, nor were they yelling "fire" or pulling the fire alarms needlessly.  Last post about this, I said it was ugly.  This was just downright preposterous.  I'm writing this two weeks later and I'm still pissed off about it.  I see the problem as this:  they issued series passes, and said that if you're not there with your pass by a certain time, they would let standby ticket holders inside.  There were also regular ticket holders, whom were guaranteed a seat because they had paid the $5.00.   So it was my assumption, and probably many others', that all you had to do was show up on time and you'd have a seat.  If you got there late, then you'd need to be in the standby line.  In my logic, therefore, you would only have a certain number of series passes issued.  Everyone else would be either regular ticket holders, or standby.  Once the cutoff time passes, then you let in the standby people.  Sounds easy enough, right?  Well, APPARENTLY, from what I overheard, they were letting standby people in before the cutoff time for the pass holders.  (This is before the week that they started handing out numbers).  So whose fault is it that they have too many people in there?  This is something that could be easily controlled, yet they don't see their part in this.  Just stop letting people in!  AUGH.

OK, is that enough ranting for you?  I was bummed that Liz wasn't there to help me bitch that night, and so that maybe she could ask the guy what codes were violated, since she knows about some of that stuff.  Oh, wait.  I forgot to add that to top it all off, the only seats available in the center section in front of the VIP section was the 1st 3 rows.  THREE.  So this has nothing to do with them not having enough room for the series pass holders?  Harumph!

When the show was about to start, the same guy did not mention that he had scolded us at the front of the line.  In fact, we were told later that it was his birthday that day.  OK, whatever.  I joined in the singing, but only because he had put together such a terrific program.  His people skills need help.  

Cartoon:  "Rooty Toot Toot" (1951)
I absolutely loved this piece, which was a stylized animated version of "Frankie and Johnny".  The jazz was awesome, and the animation was fun.  I want to see this again!  It was voiced by Thurl Ravenscroft.  Oh!  Well, it's no wonder then why I liked this so much. Ooh, I found it. :)




Short:  "Adventures of Captain Marvel, Chapter Six: Lens of Death"  (1941)
Captain Marvel gets out of this pickle by looking above him, and seeing a hole in the ceiling of the cave.  He jumps up and finds a way out.  The Scorpion (hissss!) sets up a trick to find out where the other men keep their lenses.  There is a gunfight at one of the houses, and the cliffhanger is that we don't know whether or not Captain Marvel will be electrocuted by the security system where the lens is kept.


Feature:  "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers" (1940)  Screenplay by Robert Rossen and Robert Riskin, Story by Jack Patrick, Directed by Lewis Miletone, Music by Miklos Rosza, and starring Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, and Kirk Douglas

  • The film was introduced by Robin Swicord, screenwriter for "Little Women", "Memoirs of a Geisha", and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".  I like that she said that her mother noted that the bad girl always wears the dark lipstick.  That makes me just want to wear dark lipstick more often. ;)  
  • Ooh, another Barbara Stanwyck film, this time as a brunette!  Wow, she's awesome.
  • This was Kirk Douglas' first film, and he does a great job as the wimpy Walter.
  • Why have I never heard of Van Heflin before?  I like him.  I like how the director added the twirling of the coin on his fingers as the habit of a gambler.
  • Lizabeth Scott really did look, in Swicord's words, "like the love child spawn of Veronica Lake crossed with Lauren Bacall."  Beautiful, and she even sounded like Bacall with that throaty voice of hers.  She's got some awesome clothes for someone who just got out of jail.
  • I like seeing what's made the 3 main characters (Martha, Sam and Walter) who they are, so we know what's been sticking in their collective craw all these years.
  • "The road curved.  I didn't.
  • Lizabeth Scott spoke after the movie, and she seemed to remember the shooting of the film like she had just finished it yesterday.  She said that she wanted to act in the theater, not in the movie business, but ended up there anyway.
  • We were also treated to a video of Kirk Douglas speaking about this film recorded in Palm Springs.  He wasn't going to move to Hollywood either!  He also wanted to work in the theater.  
  • Best part of Mr. Douglas' speech was that it was Stanwyck's idea as to how Ivers would eventually meet her demise.  Coolness.
I still can't figure out what the title means, Ms. Swicord.  It's still a mystery to me.

Next:  "The Dark Mirror"

No comments:

Post a Comment