Friday, May 30, 2008

Spellerrific

I'm absolutely loving the contestants in the National Spelling Bee. They're not only amazing spellers, but they're funny, too. Thoughts as I watch the program:
  • My favorite line : (after hearing audience laughter when the word was first announced) "numb nuts?" ...much more laughter.... (after he is advised to listen to the word again) "Ohhhh! Numnah!"
  • "Oh, Nietzschean!" (I'm sorry that she's out. She was funny. When she was reminded to look at the clock as she was running out of time, she said, "Yes, that's a very pretty clock.")
  • The gal with the curly hair had a hilarious look of happiness on her face when she knew the word, but asked for more hints anyway.
  • The Asian kid sounded like he was drugged or something, and I kept thinking that he wouldn't get the words, but he did just fine. Maybe hewas on Spellling Steroids.
  • I'm always amazed by the very gentle "ding" of the bell that signifies that the word was spelled wrong. It so politely tells them that their dream has just been squelched by one letter. Ah, memories of spelling "vacuum" with 2 "c"s and only one "u," and hearing the disappointment of my entire grade as I became only the Honorable Mention instead of the winner. I'll never forget that moment as long as I live. Go ahead. Ask me when I'm senile. I dare you.
  • So I'm trying to spell these obscure words without looking at the TV, and when I do look at the TV, I realize that I'm WAY off. Makes me kinda glad that I didn't win the school spelling bee, in order to avoid a humiliating experience on a larger scale.
  • ...although, hello, I spelled "Kulturkampf" correctly.
  • Yay, SAMIR!!!! From "numb nuts" to the end, you certainly deserve that "guerdon"!!! What a perfect word to end the bee.

2 comments:

  1. Yup! April and Jeremy got married on the 19th of April. Go check out their website: prelandjer.com It was a fantastic wedding! Tiring though. haha

    I really, REALLY want to go see NKOTB in October! But I'm not sure if I'll be back from NYC by then. I have another cousin getting married in October, and a whole bunch of my family are going, then we're going on a side-trip to D.C. I'll have to figure out what the family's itinerary's like. But I'll keep you posted though about the whole NKOTB thing.

    LAKERS AND CELTICS in the FINALS! This year have brought back so many childhood memories for me (e.g. NKOTB, Lakers/Celtics rivalry)!

    ~aura

    ReplyDelete
  2. RE: Summer movies.

    I've only see "Prince Caspian" so far. I'm in-love with Ben Barnes! ahaha

    Hamlet 2 - I'm not sure if I'll be part of any cult following (I didn't know that it exists for Hamlet?). But I am a big fan of Steve Coogan (part of my Brit-show obsession - LOL!). He cracks me up!

    ~aura

    ReplyDelete