Thursday, January 24, 2019

Amor Verdadero

I was happy to realize that I had already seen 5 of the 8 Best Picture nominees for this year's Academy Awards, because I won't be able to do the AMC Best Picture Showcase this time.  One of the remaining three is "Roma", which I watched today.  I figured that while I'm still understanding a bit of Spanish after my trip, let's continue the language lesson.

  • This is one of the movies wherein I'm happily just watching people live their lives, and all of a sudden I'm crying a lot because I've invested over an hour into the characters and I'm feeling their pain.
  • "I like being dead."
  • Does Borras really poop that much, or do they not clean up after him every day?
  • What I got from this film is that most guys are a-holes.
  • "We are alone. No matter what they tell you, we women are always alone."
  • Also, don't ever trust a guy that does his martial arts training in the nude.
  • Oh, they're fighting over Twinkies!
  • So Cleo is as centered as that Martial Arts guru.  Makes sense to me.
  • I really liked Yalitza Aparicio's portrayal as Cleo, because she just seemed so real, almost like we were watching a documentary instead of a fictional movie.  The black and white also helped.
  • OK, I loved it when Sofia squeezed the car between the two trucks and totally messed it up.
  • That film clip from "Marooned" made me think of Cuaron's "Gravity".
I enjoyed this film, although it is not my favorite for Best Picture.  Now that I know that the film is based on Cuaron's own maid/nanny when he was growing up, I'd like to see it from that view.  It's no wonder that they loved her so much: she so fiercely loved those kids, and it is truly "amor".


No comments:

Post a Comment