Thursday, July 5, 2018

West End Wonders

Western Corps Connection
Sunday, July 1, 2018
Wheelock Stadium - Riverside Community College
Riverside, CA

Somehow, I still had a voice this morning after last night's excitement, so I was able to sing in church choir.  On the way to church, I saw the Blue Knight's buses parked outside my alma mater's stadium, so I drove back that way after church in case I could witness some rehearsal action.  Unfortunately, they were still having breakfast (or were on some kind of break), because all I could see around the field were people's water jugs.  That's probably all for the best, because I hadn't had breakfast yet and I had some blogging to do.

Bro and Dodie picked me up and we made our way to RCC.  I had parking $ all set for Bro, but when he went to the machine to pay, there was a sign that said that the drum corps attendees shouldn't.  So he didn't.  I tried to get a Blue Knights long sleeve shirt for V, but they didn't have her size.  I did get the SCV shirt she wanted, and I got myself the Babylon slouch shirt that I had spied the other day.  Bro put our stuff in the car, and also got my phone for me because I had left it charging in there.  Oops.  Thanks, Bro!  The marketplace this year was around the West end of the track, and when I talked to the SCV folks about being the last ones in the line of souvie trailers, they said they didn't mind because it was easier for them.  I mentioned that I noticed they made a killing last night, talking about the very long line at their trailer after the show.  They said that they kept thinking the crowd would die down, then the next thing, they looked up, and there would be a huge crowd again.  I'm glad the show is getting such an awesome response!  

Our seats were in section 4, row O, seats 17-23.  Yay, we got our desks behind us!  Dodie said she was glad we had a shelf and I said I did that mostly for me and all of my materials, but she was still glad to have the by-product.  

The Star-Spangled banner was sung a cappella by Kim Lovett again.  So, in all these 3 days, they couldn't get one brass player to perform the national anthem?  What?!

VESSEL
Those ramps are dangerous.  Bro said that a tuba player fell down because of one of them on Friday, and the same one fell today.  This time, a bass drummer fell onto his/her back after tripping on the ramp.  I hope they're OK.
Pre Bloom

Cymbals on Flower Petals


GOLDEN EMPIRE
"Hear our voice! Hear our voice!"  It doesn't seem as strong as yesterday.  Were they mic'd yesterday?
Lean


INCOGNITO
I jinxed my favorite color guard when I pointed her out to Dodie, because she dropped twice after that.  She did redeem herself afterward, though.  Oh, she's limping; no wonder she sits out a huge chunk of the show.  They had 7 color guard today, including my fave, so when she sat down, the numbers were even when they crossed weapons.

High Rifle Toss


WATCHMEN
I totally have this show figured out.  It's like "Logan" or another mutant movie, where the kid mutants were being abused, and they slowly start to become stronger, and shed off their straitjackets to become uninhibited.  Then they gang up on the scientist (the backfield drum major), and put him in the straitjacket to suffer.  Great job, rifles!

Gene Flags

Attacking the Scientist

GOLD
The narration is unnecessary.  If it's "too bright", then why aren't they all wearing sunglasses?  Is the "shut your eyes" a response to the "too bright"?  If you leave these phrases out, I'm still good with this show.  I think of "Spy vs. Spy" whenever I see the drum majors on the stands, one in black, one in white.  (Look it up, kids).  Sounding great, Gold!

What is that writing on the drums?

Is it supposed to spell a word?


IMPULSE
Bro, before the show, leaning back against the wall:  "I'm gonna fall asleep.  If only there was some type of alarm to wake me..."
Great job, tubas!  I know you didn't have an ensemble solo, but I noticed your talent.  Good intonation!  I like the gesture of the color guard looking at their (imaginary) watches.  Somebody needs to make them some fake watch bands so they're not just looking at their wrists, wondering what a "watch" is.  

Post Salute


<Intermission>

PACIFIC CREST
Today the drum major was wearing black.  He wore white yesterday.  Maybe he saw Rudy earlier and had to change after he something got spilled on him.  Better, but still needs more volume, and tonight we were closer to the field than last night.  Oh, there IS a crest formation!  Bro had to point it out to me.  I missed the Esther Williams segment, though.  Go, bass drums!  Nice solos.  

PC Horns

Quartet.  Look at those shiny drums!

What's over there?


TROOPERS
I didn't see more than one arrow turn, but I DID see it actually turn!  Beautiful solo in the ballad.  Great job, color guard!  I don't know if this is the same drum major as last year, but he is also very entertaining to watch.  That gal ran all the way out beyond the fence this time.  Either she needs to go to the bathroom, or she wants to get some souvenirs.  Thank you for coming out to California, Troop!

Troop DM

Such Pretty Flags for the Sunburst

Love the blue of these drums


ACADEMY
Rudy:  "Ryan, did they have those on Friday?"
<pause>
Rudy:  "Academy wasn't there on Friday."
One day they're going to pull a tuba out of those tables.  I like the way they hold their lapels with one hand and play their horns with the other.  Are they supposed to be mouthing "O Captain, My Captain"?   Because some do and some don't and I don't feel commitment from the ones that don't.

That is not how the correct spelling of "seize"

"I think, therefore I am"

Help, the boards are attacking!


MANDARINS
The cheesy glowy cube did not glow today.  Dodie thinks they found a magic ice cube in hell.  I really like that brass arrangement.  I also like how one of the color guard members drags the other one out from under the turntable during the trombone slide.

Setting the Tone

Fire Flags

Stare Down


BLUE KNIGHTS
Beautiful trombone solo in ballad leading to the gorgeous ensemble solo.  Lots of right angles adding to the visual effect.
DM Salute

Double Flags


SANTA CLARA VANGUARD
I tried to see if the color guard guy also does something acrobatic during the other guy's back flip, but he doesn't.  That's OK. This show is still amazeballs.

Lift

Back to Back

My Body's In A Cage

Love this part of the dance


BLUE DEVILS
I had to leave after SCV, and didn't make it in time to get to my seat, so my vantage point was from the stairs to the left of the stadium, and I couldn't see the 50-yard line without getting on my tiptoes.  So I watched whatever came over to the 10-20 yard lines.  This did allow me to get a closer look at the flags and uniforms, though.  The first flag has a typewriter.  The one during "Natural Woman" has wording on it, and I could make out "Hedy Lamarr".  The yellow flag: is that a snowman?  Maybe not.  I don't know if the other flags have different names.  I'm trying to figure out the graphic on the color guard guys' right pant leg.  Is it a map?  A painting?  I don't know.  I don't really like the corps' spangly uniform, or the weird pink square bib on the color guard women.  My interpretation of the ballad is "You make me feel so natural that I'm going to rip off my smock and throw it at you."  Nailed it!

No encore today.

Rudy asked us if we knew about SCV's tradition of playing "Send in the Clowns" at their truck for the Velarde family after every RCC show.  We knew about it, but have never seen it because we're usually listening for scores and tired and wanting to go home because I have to work the next day.  He thought of going there, and thought for a long time before trying to go, but the crowds and Brian's mobility difficulty were prohibitive.  Maybe on the 20th anniversary, next year.  Art's nephew currently plays cymbal for SCV, but I don't know his age.

Scores

Open Class:
6) 42.85 -- Incognito
5) 48.65 -- Impulse
4) 49.00 -- Watchmen
3) 50.40 -- Vessel
2) 53.55 -- Golden Empire
1) 57.75 -- Gold

World Class:
7) 64.30 -- Pacific Crest
6) 65.55 -- Troopers
5) 68.30 -- Academy
4) 70.75 -- Mandarins
3) 72.20 -- Blue Knights
2) 78.05 -- Blue Devils
1) 78.80 -- VANGUARD!!!

Two nights in a row over BD, and in a smaller stadium, no less.  YAY!

After saying our goodbyes, Bro bought a watermelon agua fresca for V, and we went to the parking structure, where we saw Marie waiting for Glenn to pick her up.  She had fallen earlier in the stands, poor thing.  I hope she'll be all right.  She says she felt OK even after falling down two rows.  Yikes.

Bro dropped me off at home, and I had trouble falling asleep.  Drum crops withdrawal starts NOW.  It's going to be a long wait until August.

No comments:

Post a Comment