Saturday, June 30, 2018

Finished Shows! In June!

Corps at the Crest - San Diego
Friday, June 29, 2018
El Camino High School - Herb Meyer Stadium
Oceanside, CA

Bro and family picked me up and we went to my parents' house in Wildomar, where the kids would be staying for the next week.  They are getting ready for the house to be photographed to be sold, and it's already starting to look like it's not their home anymore, which makes me sad.  I still got to stay in "my" room, and remembered that I still have some stuff there that needs to be moved to my home, where my parents will be living soon.  It's been nice to have a place to stay when we go to drum corps or wine country or San Diego.  I'm going to miss it.

Bro and I picked up Rudy and made our way to Oceanside.  We caught up with Rudy on his life happenings, and I tried not to tell him about all of the cool stuff he was about to see.  This is one of Rudy's favorite weekends of the year, for good reason.  There is some construction being done in the school area, so the corps buses were parked in the lot where we usually park when we arrive early.  We were directed to park on the field instead, which was still close by, and we didn't have to walk all of the hills and steps that we normally do when we park on the neighborhood streets.  We shopped for a bit and I saw a new SCV shirt on display, which they said they just received the previous day.  Because there were several corps present that Bro and I had not yet seen this season, there was new stuff for us to peruse.  The coloring book from Gold of the different guard uniforms is nice.  I might get one of those for fun.  I talked to the folks at the Golden Empire booth, saying that I was looking forward to seeing their show for the first time.  They were, too!  They did not do any of the Northern California shows because they're saving money to go to Finals this year.   I thought that it was strange that they didn't at least go to the Clovis show, and they thought so, too.  I looked at the Pacific Crest merchandise, and got a coin and pin set which commemorates PC's 25th year.  I like their 25th anniversary logo, but they didn't have it on any of the shirts, which disappointed me.

We went into the stadium and got snacks.  The ECHS color guard was selling homemade baked goods, so I got a couple of items from them.  Our seats were in Section 3, row Q, seats 6-8, and our view was of the right 48-yard line.  I'm glad Bro had reminded me that we would be sitting on concrete so I could sit on my SCV stadium pad and our regular blanket.  Rudy was totally unprepared for the day and didn't have his sweatshirt or his wallet.  Luckily for him, he has friends to provide him with what he needed.  

The Star-Spangled Banner was sung a cappella by Kim Lovett.  I thought she did a great job because it was simply done and she did not use vocal acrobatics, which make me crazy when utilized during our national anthem.  Rudy thought she went flat, but I didn't notice, probably because I was just happy about the non-acrobatics.

Exhibition

PHENOM (Soundsport)
They had some phasing and intonation issues, but I really liked the tuba duet.  Nice uniforms!

Phenom

Competition

VESSEL
Repertoire: "Bloom" -- Induction; Maturation; Antithesis all by F. Sullivan, F. Smith, N. Jasniewicz, and R. Carter

Formerly known as City Sound, Vessel has a different look from before.  I told the guys that I miss the drum major's slutty uniform, but then realized that I had meant "slinky", with the spangly dresses.  Their current uniforms are more traditional.  While they were tuning their instruments, Bro said, "They already sound better."  He's also glad they changed the name because sometimes the sound system made the announcer seem like he pronounced "sh" instead of "s".  Nice props, using the flower opening up as the color guard adds to the bloom.  I like the purple flags.  I don't think their show is done yet.

Bloom



GOLDEN EMPIRE
Repertoire: "Hear our Voice" -- I. Intro - Everyday: The Inside Out by T. Newman; Mvt. 1 -- Overworked: Foundry by J. Mackey; Mvt. 2  Exhaustion: We're Not Gonna Take It by D.D. Snider; Mvt. 3 -- Revolt: Revolt by E. Lanser; Mvt. 4 -- Reform: Cinderella Man by T. Newman

The color guard uniforms reminded me of Rosie the Riveter.  I tried to model her pose for the guys and they laughed at me.  Probably because I did it like I was showing off biceps, not like her.  The CG did eventually do that pose, maybe to mock my error.  
RV:  "Labor uniforms and red flags?  Kind of suggestive."
Nice low brass section.  Wait.  Are they doing Quiet Riot as a ballad?  No, Sher, it's Twisted Sister.  Very cool.  Their show is not done either.


Labor Party


WATCHMEN
Repertoire: "Altered" -- Altered by P. Rendon and H. Hutchins

Is the color guard wearing straitjackets?  Why is the corps beating them up?  Then the one guy is getting beat up at the end by the women.  Something in the story has to do with radiation, I guess, because of the radioactive symbol on the flags.  At first, Rudy thought they were Rorschach flags.  "What do you think this show means?"  Interesting use of the color guard jacket by one of the horn sections while they dance around their instruments.  


Watchmen Drum Major Salute


INCOGNITO
Repertoire: "Neverland" -- Learn to Fly by the Foo Fighters; Lost Boy by Ruth B; 
Neverland by Zendaya

They have the same number of pit numbers as they do horn players.  The color guard gal with one long pant and one short is ON POINT.  If she's not the lead, then she should be.  They need one more color guard...unless that one is supposed to be Pan.  I really like the scheme of their solid-colored flags, like shiny fall colors.  Three of their snares had gold accents, and one had silver.  What's that about?

Incognito


IMPULSE
Repertoire: "Time After Time" --  Primacy of Number by P. Glass; Time After Time by C. Lauper & R. Hyman; Time Is Running Out by M. Bellamy, C. Wolstenholme, and D. Howard

I like the white flags with the black clock.  Rudy made his own woodblock sound during "Time After Time" because otherwise it wouldn't feel right to him.  The cymbals do their headchopper move during the battery feature.  Their show is not yet done.


Sleepy Corps


GOLD
Repertoire:  "Through Our Eyes" -- Black and White; Through Our Eyes; Dyslexiaphrenia, all original music by S. Director

They wear white on their left sides and black on their right.  I thought maybe this was a Jekyll and Hyde show, but alas, it is not. The drum majors wear just black with white gloves or the reverse.  Very clean, nice look.  Great opening number, very strong brass section.  I like the ripple of the purple and green flags as it goes with the music.  


Gold

<Intermission>
I'm glad we got snacks before the show, because the line was very long for intermission.  Perhaps this is why the intermissions are long in the smaller venues.  People should have bought food from the color guard because their snacks were yummy and they had no line.  My brownie almost suffered through the fate of ants, but I was able to brush them away before they got to it.

MANDARINS
One of the staff members sat near us before the show and told others that the turntable weights 6,000 pounds.  No wonder it takes 30 people to push it.  It turns via a generator in the back.  In the final piece, the rifles now light up on one side.  Cool effect!  Rudy did not say anything about the Doxology in this show, and Bro and I thought that he would comment.  Maybe on Sunday.


Pas de Deux
Bones and Trumpets rockin' it

Lit Rifle Toss



TROOPERS
That compass/weather vane turned toward the left side of the field, and it turned from white to yellow!  Bro said that he told me about this before.  Oh.  I was hoping that they would all do that, but they didn't.  Maybe they're still working on that.  It would make sense since the corps all start at the right end of the field and end up on the left end, where the arrows would eventually point if the effect is used correctly.  


I love the colors in this Sunburst

Yellow!


PACIFIC CREST
Repertoire:  "Here's to the Ones Who Dream" --  Planetarium (from La La Land) by J. Hurwitz; Overture (from The Artist) by L. Bource; Waltz for Peppy (from The Artist) by L. Bource; The 20th Century Fox Mambo (from Smash) by M. Shaiman & S. Wittman; Audition (The Fools Who Dream) (from La La Land) by J. Hurwitz, B. Pasek, & J. Paul ; Pretty Peppy (from The Artist) by L. Bource; Epilogue (from La La Land)  by J. Hurwitz

Happy 25th Anniversary, PC!  I was looking forward to this show because I like all three movies and scores for the source music.  I was thinking of donating to get a star with my name on it, but didn't look to do that before they sold out.  A little part of me is glad that I didn't do that because the stars from the Hollywood Walk of Fame should be pink.  I would say that these look better on the field than the pink ones would, but I'm not sure that's true.  They need to sound bigger.   I don't know if it's first-competition jitters or what, but when they're sandwiched between two loud corps, their music sounds meek.  I like the tap dance portion, as well as the Mambo.  Beautiful red flags with just enough sparkle at the end of the show, and I love the introduction of the first flag as it falls with the music.   I like the shininess on the uniforms, which look great, and very PC.  They form the word "Hollywood", as well as a star.  I hope they also work in a Crest formation, or maybe the already have but I couldn't see from this vantage point.  Or they could make a "25". 


Sparkly with lampposts

I like the bit of teal in the side accent


Dear Lady In Back Of Me:   They are NOT called "boy majorettes".  WHAT THE?

BLUE KNIGHTS
Rudy was very excited that he had just seen his first finished Blue Knights show!  Ooh, the closer!  They build 3 bigger pyramids now, and the ripple of flags is beautiful.  They also dance in silence, which is cool.  Rudy agreed with me that the uniforms are very effective.


There's the pillar!  It's kind of an "i".

Bigger Pyramid

There's that BK knee bend I've missed


SANTA CLARA VANGUARD
That baritone duet leading to the full corps during "My Body Is A Cage" is just awesome!  How often does that happen that the baritones get so much solo work?  That trio of trumpets, too.  WOW.
Rudy:  THAT IS INSANE!  WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?!!?  
He was laughing happily through the whole show.  They did the closer drill!  It's very cool, and I look forward to how it's going to develop until Finals.  The ending right now is of a color guard member on each of two tall towers, coming together.


Play It LOUD!

Trumpet Trio

They're back together!  


Scores

Open Class:
6) 42.30 -- Incognito
5) 46.80 -- Watchmen
4) 47.90 -- Impulse
3) 48.35 -- Vessel
2) 51.80 -- Golden Empire
1) 55.75 -- Gold

World Class:
5) 62.35 -- Pacific Crest
4) 63.00 -- Troopers
3) 68.00 -- Mandarins
2) 69.25 -- Blue Knights
1) 75.55 -- Santa Clara Vanguard

Bro and I dropped off Rudy afterward and got a snack on the way to my parents' house. IIt was nice to see a lot of shows that were new to us today.  Looking forward to seeing that SCV closer again in Pasadena!  I can't get enough of that show.

Next up:  Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl


No comments:

Post a Comment