Sunday, April 22, 2018

A Cappella In A Cupcake

m-pact
Beckman Auditorium at CalTech
Saturday, April 21, 2018

My friends and I saw m-pact at DCA last year, and said they'd be willing to see them in a full show someday.  I had seen them previously, but not this current iteration.  As soon as I saw them post on twitter that they'd be in Pasadena, I rounded up the posse.  Well, a couple of them couldn't make it, so the Posse Personnel changed a bit, but all was good as everyone in attendance is already an a cappella fan.  I'm glad the tickets weren't going to be wasted.


With the 2 Substitutes

Linda, Bro, and I arrived early and got good parking (thanks, Varez family!), and wandered around a little bit before going inside to see the show.  

Pool between Beckman Auditorium
and Beckman Institute


Wisteria is so much prettier than ivy!

The Polyhedron of 432 Symmetry Fountain

A hawk landed on a tree nearby and
perched for a short time before
flying away in dramatic fashion

We went inside, and Bro's ticket indicated that he should go through another door because he was on the other half of our row, but he was feeling rebellious and went through our door anyway.  Our seats were in row D, Seats 201-209, house left of center.  The house never did fill up completely, but I would say it was about half full.  That's a shame, because this is a quite talented group, and people are missing out!  

I did not take notes during the performance, so here's what I could remember.


  • Nice opening with the Beatles' "Come Together"!  They won a Contemporary A Cappella Recording Artist (CARA) award for it this year for Best R&B Song.  Well deserved, guys!
  • Jeff welcomed us to being inside a giant cupcake.
The Ceiling

  • "Whoo!!!" is acceptable as meaning, "I'm having a great time tonight and I'm ready for more." (or something like that).
  • I'm not a big Miles Davis fan (I think he's way talented, just not my thang), but their rendition of "All Blues" was awesome, especially Aaron's trumpet. I mean, WHAT?!  Amazing.
  • Hmmm...they took The Flintstones out of their TV medley.  This one included theme songs from Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, I Love Lucy, The Muppet Show, The Jetsons, and The Jeffersons.
  • "My Funny Valentine" was gorgeous, as always.
  • Love the "stinnnnng" during "My Favorite Things."  Also, those chords! 
  • Wow, Drew sings high.  So different from his stuff at Disneyland as a Dapper Dan, and his "Human Nature" was my favorite of many songs he beautifully sang during the evening.
  • Absolutely loved "Just The Two of Us", sung by Jamond and Tracy.  It started off with Tracy singing a bit, and Jamond approving, and Bro and I wondering what the heck they were going to sing...then us recognizing the chords but still not knowing what the song was going to be...then total realization, and aahhhhhh!  Our side of the house rocked the audience participation of singing the bass line.    Halfway through the song, I thought, "and it's being sung by only TWO of them!  Perfect!"
  • I love Tracy's mellow bass sound.
  • The gal sitting next to Bro was way excited, and I wondered if that's what I look like during Rockapella shows.  But I'm usually surrounded by my friends so I don't stick out TOO much, but maybe I'm obnoxious.  Sorry, people, I can't help loving my boys!  Oh, right, this is about m-pact.
  • I've never heard that "Guillotine" song before, but I like it!
  • I was happy every time they sang a Stevie Wonder song.  Oh, "I Just Called to Say I Love You"!  Memories of my teenage years camping with my family abound.
  • I almost couldn't look at Andy sometimes because he reminds me of my ex-boyfriend, and I would imagine that guy singing instead, and then I remembered that he doesn't sing as well as Andy.  Then I'd snap back into reality and there was Andy, singing beautifully!
  • That drum solo was long, awesome, and deserving of the standing ovation my friends gave him.  I wanted to get up but was afraid my skirt would fly up with me and I'd flash the folks seated behind me.
  • I liked the ways they played with the microphones to make different effects with their sound.
  • The group's sound is wonderfully tight, and I love the way they glissando to the higher notes with no issues.
  • Their last song was done off-mic, but Aaron and Jamond were seated in the back and not singing.  Why?  I want to hear them, too!  Bro and I agreed that we liked Drew off mic better.  His voice is just so pure. 

    I'm looking forward to their new CD, which should be released later this year.  

    We did not stay to say hi to the guys.  Maybe next time.  Thanks for a great show, m-pact!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment