Saturday, September 10, 2016

Penultimate Pella in Laguna

Rockapella in Laguna
Show #7
Saturday, August 27, 2016 -- 8:00 p.m.
Laguna Playhouse
Laguna Beach, CA

I had seen a boba place a few times as I walked back and forth to the beach during these days in Laguna, and told everybody that I wanted to go there before the Rockapella shows were done.  We picked today to go to Boba Me Baby.  Nick and Dodie hadn't done the boba thing before, and I didn't really want boba so much.  I wanted a slush with some jelly.  They had mango slush and lychee jelly, and I was happy.  Dodie trusted me and got the same.  Nick got some kind of slush with traditional boba.  KP got something green. We were all happy campers, especially KP, because the company's logo has a monkey on it.  Wait.  They had specialty drinks called The Monkey (chocolate and banana) and Almond Joy, and none of us went for those?  I must have been delirious in my craving for slush.


We enjoyed our boba in the courtyard while waiting for the doors of the theater to open.  Dodie and I had seats in the front row, but we were not sitting together.  I asked the person with the seat next to her if she was waiting for someone and she was, so I couldn't sit there.  The lady next to my seat saw that Dodie and I were craning our necks to talk to each other, and asked her companions to move down so that Dodie could sit next to me.  Rockapella fans are the best!

Sun Brothers

L-O-V-E
The woman seated next to me looked for them on stage, and asked, "Where are they?"  I told her that they were behind us.  I got to shake hands with Calvin.

Alamo
Great response from the crowd.  It's going to be a lively evening!

Rockapella

Rock Around the Clock
Hi, Mitch!

Jailhouse Rock
The crowd loves Bryant and his low notes.  Mitch had a hard time setting down his mic stand so that it was straight.

Scott asked if anyone had seen Pella before, and we cheered.
Scott:  All my Pella Posse down front!
Yes, Scott said "Pella Posse".  No, he was not pointing to us but to people we don't know.  KP and I looked at each other from opposite sides of the front row.  It doesn't really matter that he wasn't pointing to us.  He used my phrase!  I wondered if he'd be saying that when the posse would be in the front row again tomorrow.

Dancing in the Streets
I'm letting everyone else sing without getting upset because I'm tired.  Tired of hearing people sing behind me when I want to hear the people on stage.  Plus it's an upbeat song.  But this feeling won't last long.  

Just My Imagination / Imagine
After Bryant said about Mitch, "That's the move right there!", Mitch motioned with his head that he'd like the show to keep going.  Bryant: "Oh, sorry."
After the song, someone from the crowd:  "WOW!"

Satisfaction / Cupid
Great crowd reaction as they loved Scott's Jagger moves.  Bryant sang to the lady in the front row whom I had spoken with earlier.  Nice eyebrow motion back at him, Lady!

Moon River
I like the harmonies in this song, but I can't hear them when people in back of me are SINGING OUT LOUD.

Scott is wearing black Nike socks. These are the things I notice when I've seen them for 7 shows in a 2-week period.

Paper Doll
Mitch is so cute and bouncy!

Blame It On The Boogie
Nice thrusts at the end, Mitch!  Cal gave up on the boogie when he saw all of the craziness from the other two tenors.

<Intermission>
I'm still trying to get used to the fact that Nick is allowed to drink wine.

Used Ta Be My Girl
They sang to me!!!!!!!!  Hi, Calvin!  Hi, Bryant!  So nice.  I heart them.  The lady to the left of me asked if I know them.  I didn't know how to answer her.  I just kind of nodded my head yes as I wrote my note that they sang to me!

Commercials
Before Almond Joy (1), Mitch said, "God Bless You" to whomever in the audience sneezed.
Scott:  "Oh, that was nice!"
I didn't realize it was Scott who does the *pop* at the end of Folgers.

Scott felt a connection with Ellen from San Clemente, whom is a college consultant.

Stand By Me
Ellen sang.  YAY!

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Yay! Dance, Ellen, dance!

Macklemore
Mitch and Calvin were laughing at something, but I don't know what.  This is what reminds us of the old days of Kevin and Elliott -- that goofball craziness.

Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego
Nice and loud "DO IT ROCKAPELLA!!!" on the first try.

Encore

Up On The Roof / Wonderful World
I give up on these f**king people singing during the f**king quietest song of the evening.  AUGH!

Meet and Greet

I guess I didn't take any pictures at this meet and greet, sorry.

I told Mitch that I was starting to get sad because this was almost the last time I'd see him on stage with Rockapella.  I told him that Steve knows how much I love him, but it's been really fun watching Mitch on stage because of his energy.  I asked if I could have both of them on stage, and Mitch said, "I'm all for it, but you'll have to talk to Scott!"  

Jeff asked if I enjoyed Wahoo's, and I said yes.  He said that he thinks Calvin wants to go tomorrow, and they might be able to get Scott to go because they have fish there.  

I forgot to tell Scott how happy I was that he used the phrase "Pella Posse" during the show.  I also forgot to mention in the post regarding the matinee show that he signed my photo "To Fast Pass Sherry".  

I thanked Calvin for singing to me and he gave me a big hug.  He gives such great hugs!

I also thanked Bryant for singing to me.  He hugged me and as I was leaving, I told the posse, "Bryant's sweat is on my forehead and I don't mind it AT ALL."  They laughed, knowing they'd feel the same way.

We took the trolley back to our cars and said good night.  This was such an awesome day, perfect for this awesome week.

Next up:  Show #8

No comments:

Post a Comment