Monday, September 7, 2015

I Shot Some Pics in Reno

Rockapella West Coast Road Trip
Day 2 -- Saturday, August 29, 2015
Reno Sings Under the Stars II
Hawkins Amphitheatre Bartley Ranch
Reno, NV


After somewhat of a restful night's sleep, KP and I got ready for the next leg of our road trip.  She sat out on our balcony for a bit, and I wanted to get a picture of us there in the daylight.
Our beautiful view of the Jack in the Box drive thru

We met up with Weff and went downstairs for our free hotel breakfast.  I was annoyed by the color scheme of the new renovation.  Yeah, I'm crazy.  The room just doesn't feel the same without eating breakfast with FFE.  We said our goodbyes to Weff for the day, and went to the car.  I don't know what was up with this car, but we had trouble opening the trunk.  I couldn't figure out how to unlock it, and KP was able to open it right away.  Whatevs.  She then noticed my license plate, and said, "How did you manage to get a license plate that was only one letter off of 'FFE'?"  I hadn't even noticed.  (The letters of the license plate were "FGE").  As we were leaving our hotel room earlier, I told KP about the cool Haiku door signs at our hotel in Indianapolis.  We decided that we should document the rest of our road trip with Haiku.  

We drove to Reno and listened to the songs on my iPod.  Lots and lots of Pella-centric songs came up, even though it was on shuffle, and I swear that I have more than just Rockapella on there.  We thought up a lot of haiku.  A LOT.  Some of them made the cut, and they will be posted on a separate trip report.  You're looking forward to it already, aren't you?  Well, you have more to read here, so please sit tight.  At one point, we stopped at a rest area.  One of the trash cans was originally labeled something about "glass", but somebody scratched off the "gl", so it made for a funny comment.  When we arrived in Reno, we had a little bit of time before Cindy's flight was due to arrive, so we had lunch at Chipotle.  We tried to go to Peg's Glorified Ham and Eggs to reminisce about our morning with Fred, but they had just closed before we arrived.  Bummer.

We went to the cell phone lot at the airport and waited for Cindy to get off of the plane.  Then she got off of the plane but we missed each other and we had to circle around the airport.  Twice.  When she finally got into the car, "Didn't I Blow Your Mind" by Jordan Knight/NKOTB was playing.  (I told you there was more than Pella on there).  The trouble is that the "r Mind" was not showing on the display, so Cindy wondered what the heck car she had just joined.  It was hilarious.  We drove to the hotel and checked in, then got ready for the show.  

Since the show was General Admission, we wanted to get there early to reserve our seats.  A bunch of people were already in line.  When I went to pick up my ticket, they had my name listed twice, each with 1 ticket.  I don't remember buying more than 1.  So I took both, because I didn't see Cindy's name and wanted this one just in case.   When Cindy went into the same line, they told her that she wasn't listed.  Then they tried to help somebody else, leaving her just standing there.  She complained about that and they finally helped her and gave her a ticket.  This event is on its second year, but they need to get faster people to help with the ticket process, and also make it so that they're more aware of what to do.  I felt like I was at that voting polls because I told one person my name, she said it out loud, told the other lady, and then I got the ticket. 

There were a lot of seats that were reserved for people, so I was glad that we arrived early.  We found 3 seats in the second row, but KP and I eventually moved to the 2 seats in front of us because Cindy didn't mind sitting apart from us.  Thanks, Cindy!  Before the first group performed, I walked over to get some water and maybe a drink.  The water was being sold separately from the alcohol, so I had to stand in the long food truck line even though I didn't want their food.  I wish they would have had other choices there, but I guess I'm totally spoiled because I'm used to going to food truck events that have variety.  Little did I know that Pella was in the trailer about 20 feet away from me, getting ready for the show.  I was wondering where they were, but didn't know they were in there.  It's good I didn't know, or I might not have gone in to watch the other 2 acts.  :)


SILVER DOLLAR CHORUS

This is an award-winning community barbershop group of about 20-25 guys of all ages.  I heard them singing the Star-Spangled Banner while I was in line for water.  It was good, as well as the US Armed Forces Medley.  When I finally got back into the amphitheatre, I was subjected to the same talking that KP and Cindy had to endure while I was gone.  The emcee was OK and I laughed, but I don't think that he needed to introduce every single song and tell jokes for each one.  Maybe they could have him there to stretch a show, but there were 3 acts tonight, and each one did more than 5 songs, and they just didn't need the additional prattle.  I did enjoy the singing, but he was a bit much.  Probably my favorite pieces were the Calypso medley (they had bananas, they had a guy dressed as a banana, how could I not love this?!)...and How Great Thou Art, which was my grandfather's favorite hymn.  They had 2 people doing sign language for this one.  I don't know why they didn't do that for all of the songs, though.

See the bananas?

While they were singing, Fred arrived.  KP and I were pretty much distracted from that point on....but still, bananas!  Also, the emcee guy had a shark.  It reminded me of the Velvet Knights drum corps that liked to spoof stuff, and at one point had a shark on the field.  Emcee guy: "Do whatever you want to do to my banana."  Well, OK, then!


DAVID JOHN AND THE COMSTOCK COWBOYS

Emcee guy told us check out the pedal steel guitar, saying, "If you had a seizure, you could really kick some ass with that thing."

They played some Johnny Cash, which included "Folsom Prison Blues".  Well, how can you not, when you're in Reno, and one of the lines is "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die"?  But, but....Rockapella has that song in their repertoire now, so I wondered if we'd hear it twice tonight.  I couldn't help but repeatedly say to KP:  "CHOO CHOOOOO!!!"  Then they played an awesome version of "Orange Blossom Special" (with 2 fiddlers), and I about lost my mind, again saying "CHOO CHOOOOOO!!!!"  The band was quite talented, and the emcee wasn't talking anymore, so we were happy.  We were still being impatient about seeing Pella, but we were happy.

Singing Cowboys


During their show, various Pella members came to the stage wings to watch a little bit.  Steve waved at us.  We happily waved back.  HI!!!

Members of the Silver Dollar Chorus were handing out free bananas.  Of course I wanted one, and got all excited when we each got one.  It would have been more awesome if the guy was dressed as Bananaman, but hmmm...maybe it would have been more awkward.  Never mind.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you.  I have a banana in my ear.

We needed to take a picture of Cindy for Geo, and the guy sitting next to Cindy overheard us and offered to help.  I mean, I was ready to just call FFE over to do it because everything was taking so long, but this was more appropriate.  

He's Still The Man


Awards and thank yous happened.  I was concerned when they thanked someone whom couldn't really walk very well, and they were waiting for him to get to the stage, and then one of the speakers got knocked over.  We wondered if Fred was freaking out.  Then the Raffle Disaster happened.  KP decided that these folks were not Catholic, because they couldn't use the raffle drum properly.  Tickets fell to the floor.  It was just a mess, and there were a lot of prizes that we didn't care about because they were all from local businesses, so we'd need to come back to redeem them.  So that took forever.  We were 20 minutes past the time that Rockapella was supposed to take the stage.  AUGH!  They are your headliner, and you're making them wait that long?  WTF?


ROCKAPELLA

Finally!  The emcee said that they would have "buckets of catchy songs".  Buckets.  I need to buy a bucket for them one day, and ask that they place all of their catchy songs in it.

Rock Around The Clock
FFE's hair was very spiky today.

Rockin Us


Jailhouse Rock
APPARENTLY, CSL4 did not get the white shirt memo.  I couldn't help but be happy when they did Folsom Prison Blues, and said, "Choo CHOOOO!!!"  FFE got a big cheer when he sang that he shot a man in Reno.
CSL4:  Reno is our second home now.  We started the first 17 months of the year here.  (Did he say "weeks"?  I wrote down "months".  Either way, that's longer than they were here).  We know the path to the 7-11, the path to the Walgreen's...

Dancing In The Streets
Hi, Steve!  

Just My Imagination / Imagine
The crowd really likes Calvin's voice.  I don't blame them a bit.

"Two...Four...Twenty!"


Satisfaction
We noted that there were no doors to lock and hinder FFE from doing his audience participation bit.  While he was out there, one guy got up to go to the restroom, and FFE started to follow him out, ending up right in front of us.  We just laughed at him.  

CSL4:  Steve has a new CD, his first country-rock crossover CD.  He played it for us today and I tell you, it's OK! 

CSL4:  Our CD is available in the lobby...  We don't like to go too far out on a limb with the titles of our albums.

My Cherie Amour
I tell you, they really love Calvin here.  Huge applause when he began the song.

CSL4:  Ryan has those low tones...they just rumble me nicely.  Jeff has been our vocal percussionist for over 20 years.  He started in utero. Anything that requires any degree of intelligence, we give to him.  

While CSL4 was telling people about records being a round thing with a hole in the middle, Calvin and Ryan were demonstrating to each other like they were DJs scratching.  People "whoo"d.
CSL4:  What was that "whoo!" for? The hole?  You have questionable taste.

Paper Doll
FFE was kind of far away from our vantage point, but he still managed to Flirty Flirty Eye me.  Awwww....happiness!

See that FFE Action?  That's for ME!


Blame It On The Boogie

That Bass

Blame It On Him

When CSL4 said that he felt a connection with someone in the audience, somebody in the back loudly called for his attention.  He saw that it was way up in the lawn area, started to walk up there, and said, "I. Cannot. Go. That. Far. Up.  Dear Lord, we're at altitude here!"  He finally got to Callie.

Stand By Me / Ain't Too Proud To Beg
Callie was having a good time up there, singing and dancing. FFE was sliding all over the stage.  Sher:  "He is going to fall down."

Callie and The Boys


JT pointed at us at the "Do It, Rockapella!" point.  
CSL4: We sang this song every day for 53 years.

Carmen
Sounds like CSL4's voice was hurting at this point, maybe due to that altitude, and the fact that they were tired.  We noticed that FFE was setting up his phone on a music stand, and I figured that maybe he was doing another Periscope session from the stage.  I told KP.  We waved at the camera.  The guys came back onto the stage, one by one.  

Up On The Roof / Wonderful World
They were still using their microphones this time, probably because of the venue.  We were outside, and it was pretty big, and people had started to leave, which I thought was rude, but it seemed to be older people, so OK.

We didn't know if the guys were going to do a meet and greet, or where they would have it, so we hung out for a few minutes at our seats before going outside the gate.  That's when we realized that they were in the trailer.  That, and the post on FB of a picture of them inside the trailer.  KP paid $8.00 for Scott's new sheet music.  I had only paid $5.00 the night before.  Maybe the proceeds were going to the benefit?  I don't know.  Maybe it's the effect of the Supermoon.

Supermoon!

Cindy told Calvin that "My Cherie Amour" was awesome.  I told him that I almost cried.
Cal:  Me, Too.  Could you hear my voice kind of losing it at the end?
Sher:  No...
Cal:  Just kidding.
He said that the venue was beautiful, and wanted to take pictures inside before they closed the doors.  We told him that we noticed that he got lots of cheers really early on in the show, and he smiled.

We talked to Scott and I told him that I wished he could release his Bee Gees CD again, and that I had told Cindy about it.  He said that he couldn't release it because the music belongs to Sony.  I told him that I had 2 copies from Angela and they are now somewhere lost in my house.  I just want the recording of "Massachusetts" at this point, because I love the way he sings it.  I also said that I had told Cindy that he'd be singing in my house.
Scott:  Yeah....
I asked if he was worried about Steve getting all rich and famous and leaving the band.  He said that he wasn't worried.  I didn't ask him why he wasn't worried, because I kinda don't want to know.  
KP told him that we tagged him on Facebook with bad poetry, and we discussed the haiku format.
KP said that Rockapella needs to sell new t-shirts because they were getting...Scott offered the word "ratty"...KP preferred the word "crusty".  We told him that he has Ryan now and he could probably do them.  I asked him if he needed me to talk to Ryan.  Was he shy?  He looked at me like I had grown a few more heads, and said that he could talk to Ryan.  Gosh, I hope he knew that I was kidding.  We also mentioned that they should have Sun Brothers glasses, because we'd buy them.  He said that was a good idea.  

Later when KP was asking Fred if his wife Fran was the person that was interviewed while serving jury duty with Donald Trump, Scott joined in on the conversation because he hadn't heard about that yet.  Honestly, what does Fred ever talk about with them?  I know he wasn't in their car, but still, I wonder.  (It was Fran, by the way, and she won't be voting for Trump.  YAY!).

Jeff was holding stuff when I asked him to sign my program, so Cindy offered to hold it for him.  He ended up treating her like she was some kind of pack mule.  One of the items was a box of peppermint tea.  After signing my program, he was trying to get Steve's attention, but Steve was busy showing me the video that he took while they were on stage.  Clearly, he wasn't asking us his question, so I said, "Steve, Thacher's talking to you."  Steve apologized and answered his question.  Sorry about that, JT!  He kindly asked about our drive.  Sweet.

We talked to Ryan about the glasses, and he told KP that he was going to get them as he went back to the trailer.  When he exited the trailer, he gave them to me.  I didn't realize that he didn't give any to KP until later, so I gave them to her.   I guess KP and I look alike?

Steve wanted to sign on the dark part of the program, and declared that he needs a silver sharpie.  Perhaps his wish will come true some day.  :)  I had all of the EPs that I bought from him the night before, and he said that he would sign them there, in the dark, while standing.  He put a heart on mine.  :)   I got irritated at Cindy because she was spelling whatever while he was making sure to write my name correctly, because he was getting confused.  I told her to stand elsewhere, and she wouldn't.  My friends don't listen to me.  She's lucky that I was distracted by his blowing on each EP to dry the ink before handing it over to me.  I told him that I noticed that he put my name first in the paragraph of pledgemusic supporters.  He said, "That was by design."  Awwww....thank you!  "Yeah, you and Carol" (the other person that hosted a house concert).   I told him that I didn't realize he was going to do that, and had pledged to have my name on the EP liner notes, so he said that he owed me one, and not Double N.  I asked him what he was going to do.  He said, "Anything you want."  He really needs to stop telling me that.  :)  He offered to do a video of him singing, so I asked for "Weightless", a song that he sang in my house but had to leave off of the EP.  He agreed to do so, and seemed happy with my decision.  Then I gave him the others to sign.  For Bro's, I said, "This is for Bro.  Or Ryan.  Whatever you want to write."  He asked if B-r-o was the correct spelling and did that.  I beamed.  When I handed him Dodie's, I said, "This is for Dodie.  Or...Dic."  He said, "Oh, that was soooo embarrassing!"  You know I'm never going to let him live that down.  That was a priceless moment during our raffle.  Not the raffle disaster.  I'm going to let Dodie wonder what the heck he wrote since she hasn't received her EP yet and I like to torture people.  He talked about designing his studio at home, and I asked if he wanted the backdrop that we used for the photo op at the house.  At first, he seemed excited about it, then said, "Oh, but you should keep it."    I said that we had planned to sign it and give it to him, and we were all happy to do so.  He said that he'd like that.  He asked for us to put pictures of that day all over it and keep it.  I told him that we had something else planned for the pictures, and he'd find out around his birthday.  He gave me a puzzled look, and I asked if he'd be in California in November, and he said yes.  I reminded him that it was a few days before his birthday, and he figured it out.  KP told him how excited we were when he shared our haiku with the picture of "Living".  He said, "Yeah, I did!"  I asked him to take a picture with me and the EP, and he made sure that we stood in the light.  We smiled and said, "LIVING!!!"  So cute.

#Living


We said our goodbyes and safe travel wishes to the guys, and walked the long dark walk back to our car.  Most of the guys were going to Hussong's because they wanted to see the place that they frequented when they were in Reno earlier this year.  We were hungry and found a Denny's after circling around a bit while directions were being found.  The server told us that she enjoyed her late shift because the people that come in at night have more interesting stories to tell her.  No, we didn't tell her any.  She was quite busy.  When we got back to the hotel, Cindy and I agreed on a meeting time for our morning walk, and we went to sleep, all of us counting 5-7-5 in our dreams, I'm sure.  

Next up: Napa

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Scott said 17 months about Reno. I remember specifically laughing about that.

    ReplyDelete