Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Tell Me No Secrets, I'll Tell You No Lies

Rockapella in Rrrrrancho Cucamonga
Saturday, November 16, 2013
Lewis Family Playhouse
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I don't know how, but somehow I was able to sleep instead of giggling all night long.  Wendy and I went downstairs for the hotel breakfast, and after I helped her figure out the waffle maker and got my food, we sat down to eat. Then what to our wondering eyes should appear but the beautiful face of our Steven Dear....er, Dorian.  We said hi, assuming he would grab his breakfast and run away, but no. The man got his breakfast, approached our table, and sat down to eat and have a very nice conversation with us!  Do you know what it's like to see such a sight in the morning?  It's like watching the sun rise:  too bright and pretty to look at for too long, but you're willing to risk your retinas anyway.  I don't know if I should swoon before noon, but it happened.  Swooooon!

We talked about tons of stuff, like his job in the Moroccan Roll show at Busch Gardens..  At one point, I pictured SD as Aladdin, holding out a banana as Abu sits on his shoulder.  That's because he talked about being in Bali at the Monkey Forest.   He's written some new songs, and is looking forward to playing them for the folks in Nashville.  SD had a little bit of trouble talking after a while because he was coughing, and Wendy offered to get him some cough drops.  He thanked her and she went upstairs to get them.  The elevator took forever to come down, and then the doors opened, the angels in heaven sang, and there was Scott.  She told him that SD and I were at breakfast, so he came by to grab something and he said hi.  I just marveled at the fact that I was looking at CSL4 with wet hair.  I hadn't even seen his hair wet when we were on the cruise and Adonis stepped out of the pool.  (Brief pause while Sher remembers that for a moment).  SD said that he would go get his stuff so that they could get going, and asked if I'd stay at the table.  Well, of course!  John came downstairs and got something quick for himself, and we said hi.  Wendy finally came back downstairs with cough drops, then SD showed up, and we all wished each other safe travels.  Wendy and I expressed to each other that we had great timing and we were very glad that we had taken showers and not come downstairs in our pajamas.

What a wonderful start to the day!  We packed up our own car and headed out.  While we were on the freeway, Wendy noticed that the car doors wouldn't lock.  That made me notice the indicator light, showing that one of the car doors was still open.  So I got off the freeway, and we ended up in a Target parking lot.  (See?  Target still made it onto the trip report!).  I guess I hadn't closed the hatchback correctly.  Then we got to the airport, but I wasn't following directions and had to turn around over there, too.  We arrived in plenty of time to find a birthday card and rest for awhile before boarding the plane.  Our flight was, thankfully, uneventful. I think I slept through most of it.  

When we landed at Ontario airport, Wendy called Jeff to pick her up.  I said that I should have texted him to bring a sign saying "Wife" (Wendy's idea from the previous day).  We parted ways for a few hours and I went home to get ready for church.

After church, Dodie, Linda and Jenn met me at my house, and I went into oh-my-God-where-is-my-ticket mode.  So did Jenn.  She called Marc and found out that she had left her ticket at home and had to go back and get it.  I called Jeff to tell him about my ticket being lost, and he told me not to worry about it since they are season ticket holders and could get the ticket reprinted.  Phew!  Dodie was willing to give up her ticket for me, which was very sweet, but I didn't want that to happen.  So the Fates of Pella smiled upon me and we were all able to go.

We arrived at the Lewis Family Playhouse and saw Karla, Nicole, a couple of former students whose names I never got, Liz, Joe, Ferdie, Wendy, Jeff, and Nick.  Ah, my posse!  Jenn arrived just in time before the show started.  Aura didn't get there until intermission, but at least she got there.

A man walked on to the stage and said, "Hi, I'm Jeff Thacher from Rockapella.  I'm so happy to be back in the Land of In-N-Out.  I can't tell you how happy I am."  He then introduced those other guys.

Sun Brothers
Today, they were wearing black shirts underneath their shiny suit jackets.  I couldn't figure out the color of the shiny suits because the lighting made them look brown, then silver, then brown, and I kept crossing out names of colors in my notebook.

L-O-V-E
Scott's hair flips up when he plays the trumpet.  So cute.

CSL4:  "Y'all Westerners are so nice.  We're from the Land of Tampa Bay.  We like to do our music nice and mellow and sunny and Tampa-ish."

CHANGE THE WORLD

ALOTTA LIGHT

CSL4:  "After a short pause, the mighty Rockapella."

Rockapella

DRAGGIN' THE LINE
Hi, Geo!  Thanks for the smile.  

CSL4 is still Miss California.  Sherry to Scott later:  "You need a sash."  Wendy:  "Challenge accepted!"  (The last time she accepted a challenge, Steve was given a cape).

USE TA BE MY GIRL
Hi, Steve!  

CSL4:  "Nice to be back in Rrrrrancho Cucamonga!  What is a 'Cucamonga'?"
Random guy in the audience:  "Indian"
CSL4:  "Is that one Indian or a lot of them?  I'm gonna Google it during the break."
He then talked about Livermore, and driving all the way down here.  "You all live on another planet.  It's like brown velvet mountains of figs."

JT's microphones "pick up the Cuca underneath the Monga".
BTW, " Cucamonga" is an Indian word meaning "sandy place".  If CSL4 looked it up during the break, he didn't share it with the audience.  I'm guessing he had a power bar or m&ms instead.

PRETTY MUCH YOU
Geo was getting all into it as he shouted, "Come on, come on!"

GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE
Saw Liz and Joe laughing.  I think SD did something to them.

JUST MY IMAGINATION
I heard a couple of little "ooh"s when CSL4 started "Imagine".  Yeah, I love that, too.

Steve later told us that it's weird how CSL4 talks about how wonderful John is after "Just My Imagination", then the next song is...

HARD TIME

CSL4 said that Steve is making his Rancho Cucamonga debut.  Come back often, OK?

CUPID
Steve looked at me as he sang, "You know it's hard on fella"...  I can't stop giggling and my friends know it.  Aaaaah!  Steve just slapped Wendy on the knee while going back to the stage.  I didn't realize that my exclamation was out loud, but APPARENTLY, my friends in back of me, as well as Wendy's side of the theater heard me just fine.  

CSL4:  "That's the best sounding audieence I've ever heard.  We should be paying you."

MY CHERIE AMOUR

CSL4 to JT:  "When we found you, you were living in L.A."
JT:  "Behind a dumpster.  Westwood.  Inside joke."

CSL4 regarding JT doing vocal percussion for 2 hours:  "I don't know how you do that without your head exploding."

JKB called CSL4 "the seedling of a capella music.  What he does is planted in the ground, grown, and given to other groups."
CSL4:  "There are seeds, then there are seedlings.  I'm definitely a seedling."

PAPER DOLL
Mouthed the lyrics "I'm guessing he's roundin' up" with SD as he looked in my direction, then I said other lyrics with Geo looking at me, but I can't remember anymore what those lyrics were.  Also, secret stuff happened again.  I can't help it, people!  

JKB:  "Y'all ready for this?  Good, because I'm not sure we are."

BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE
CSL4 is a crazy dancing machine.
Geo sang "Another one bites the dust" to Joe and Liz.  I love how much Joe totally loves these shows.

<Intermission>
Cindy and Glenn asked me if I was staring at Scott's pants because of the tag hanging out of his shirt.  No, but NOW I will!  AGAIN.

A*PUNK
Got some Geo love.  :)

MALIBU GRAND PRIX
I told Dodie that this was her song because of the race cars.  She likes the checkered flags on the screen.  "Maisy" was all touching on SD when he was dancing at her, and she wasn't even smiling.  What is her deal?  I love the crash and Scott's scream.

THUNDERBALL
This made Linda very happy.  I figured she would like the Bond song, and CSL4 is just hilarious with his antics.

BANG

JKB had us do a call and response with him.  "You all do whatever I tell you.  Bark like a dog!"  We happily obliged. When he was asking trivia of the audience, a man named James gave him the correct answer.  John chose James' wife of 39 years to get onto the stage with "5 beautiful hunk of men".  Funny seeing Rockapella turning around and looking for whomever he was talking about.

MY GIRL
Letty wanted to leave, like, right away.  She lives a life of luxury in Fontana.  CSL4 tried to get her to sing, but she refused.  So he asked her to just say the words.  She didn't really want to do that, but she did a little.  Then she said, "Can I go home?"  Oh, no, honey.  SD still needs to drag you back to center stage.

AIN'T TOO PROUD TO BEG
I love how she did NOT want to be there, especially when CSL4 was dancing at her.  She kept motioning to her husband that he was in trouble.  

OLD MAN RIVER
Geo:  "Y'all thought I was fakin' didn't you?  You know, I drink a lot of chocolate milk to sing like this.  I mean, look at this.  You know what's up, Baby Boy."  APPARENTLY, "Baby Boy" is Joe.  He later said that he was just glad that Geo didn't call him "Dad".  

I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU

Geo said that boys from Philly are real cool, come out all dressed to impress.  So he wanted to sing to the ladies.

BABYGIRL
JKB was on fire!  Nice.

JT motioned to me when it was time to shout, "DO IT ROCKAPELLA!"  Then he made the motion that he was watching me.   I made the same motion to him.  So funny.

WHERE IN THE WORLD IS CARMEN SANDIEGO?

Encore

PAPA WAS A ROLLING STONE
Linda got some stage love from Geo.

They got a standing ovation, and CSL4 asked, "Were you getting up to leave or do you want to hear another song?"

UP ON THE ROOF / WONDERFUL WORLD  (off mic)
Dodie really liked that this was done without any amplification.  

Meet and Greet / Post Show

I got in line three times because the guys had signed separate parts of my CD/cover, and I needed to get all 5 in each place.  I didn't mean for that to happen.  JT pointed it out to me, and then Geo saw that another one was missing.  

I told Scott that he looked less tired than the day before at the same time of day.  He said that he can't remember because he's too old.  He and SD said that during their road trips, they start listing songs that they want to do.  I suggested (again) that he arrange Stevie Wonder's "As", and he said, "That's a good song.  Yeah, we could do a whole Stevie Wonder thing," and I said, "Yes!  But YOU need to sing lead."  He said, "Me?  OK."  PLEASE make this happen, Mr. Leonard!  Liz and I will love you even more than we already do.  He showed me video of his son Jesse playing drums and singing, and he was proud that Jesse could do that so well.  Jesse sounds like Scott when he sings.  Daughter Natalie is also a beautiful singer, and I hope that one day we can hear her, too.  I can't believe that she's already 14.  Dodie and I told him about our adventures when we get dressed up and sit next to famous people.  I showed him a pic of me in a formal dress, and he said, "That's nice!  You look nice, Sherry. That's a pretty dress."  <Blush!>  I told him that I liked his raven joke when we were in Livermore.  He liked his joke, too, but said that they seemed sensitive and offended.  Scott said that I would really like Tokyo Disney Seas.  I don't know how he knows that that is my goal in Disney fandom, but I guess that he just knows what I like.  You know, like I don't mind "unbuttoned".

I said to John:  "One more day!"  We held both of each other's hands as I tried not to get too emotional.  

This is the day that I was told that I don't know how to keep secrets.  Well, maybe if I knew that it was a secret, I could keep it.  But how is it a secret if everyone can see it?  I guess that's our thing, though.  OK, I like having a thing, so it's all good.  (Vague much, Sher?)  You know it's killing me that I'm not typing the real words, right?  BTW, Scott figured out part of the secret, and I'm pretty sure that I said, "Nothing" when he asked, so it's not my fault.

We gave a birthday card to Steve which had a picture of a dog playing a guitar.  Rock on!  Then I got in trouble again.  Oh, well!

Jeff told me that he had seen me during the show, and thought, "This girl knows ALL the words!"  I don't know if he was surprised, or just making sure that I actually love them as much as I say I do.

I didn't talk to George very much, because he was busy telling me which signatures were missing, and I kept getting in line.

I like that there's a sign that says "Line starts here to meet Rockapella" with their picture on it.
The guys in line to meet George




We took pictures with the guys, and when it was my turn, I was arm in arm with Steve and Jeff.  I said, "Can I stay right here?  Because I LIKE it!"  JT asked, "Are you coming to Santa Clarrrita? (Yes, he rolled his Rs).  You can come back for more."  My response:  "OKAY!!!"


Seriously, can I just stay here?
A bunch of us went to Lucille's for dinner.  We were supposed to go to Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill, but then realized that it was a real bar, and too loud for us to talk, plus one of us in our party was not yet 21.  Lucille's was yummy and we were happy.  Banter occurred.  I was told later that the banter was cute.  We closed the place down.  That happens a lot.

So, it was a wonderful day from AM to PM!  Thank you, Rockapella!


Pella and the Posse
Yeah, I know lots of people are looking at another camera, but I look cuter in this shot than the other one.


Next up:  Santa Clarrrrita



  


No comments:

Post a Comment