Saturday, September 5, 2015

That Door Is Locked

Rockapella West Coast Road Trip
Day 1
Bankhead Theater
Friday, August 28, 2015
Livermore, CA

The week before the show, my oven decided that it didn't want to work.  So I figured,OK, if it can be repaired in time, I'll bake for the boys.  Well, whaddaya know.  I order the part that my dad says I need, Dad comes over to fix the oven, and he leaves  a note for me that says, "Happy Baking!"  Well, I guess I'm going to bake for the boys, then!  Therefore, I spent most of my Thursday night baking stuff in the kitchen.  Luckily for me, I had been packing since the week before, so I didn't have that much more to do.  Of course, as always, I woke up in the middle of the night, remembering stuff that I needed to place in my bag.  The biggest challenge for me was transporting all of the goodies and the containers, but it got done!

I made my way to the FlyAway on Friday, then to LAX.  Terminal 1 is undergoing some renovation, which I knew from the Drum Corps trip.  I hope it gets done by the next time I fly out, because it seems even more crowded than usual with all of the construction walls around.  I arrived in Sacramento, said hello to Spider-Bunny, and took the shuttle to the car rental building.  The guy asked me about my trip, and I told him how much I'd be driving, and asked if he could find me an economical car.  He had a talk with his manager, and offered me a hybrid for $8 more per day.  I did the calculation in my head of the gas we'd need for a conventional car, and decided that it would be a good deal.  He told me about a lady he met that followed her favorite band around, some Swedish group that rarely comes to the States.  I'm lucky that my band is much closer than Sweden.  He then taught me how to turn it on and off, then I got everything prepared for my solo road trip to Livermore.  The drive was pretty easy, and I rocked out to tunes that included stuff from Steve's new solo EP, "Living", which I had downloaded earlier in the week.

I checked into the hotel and got in touch with Weff, whom were staying down the hall.  I had time to get the boys' goody bags ready, take a shower, and get ready for the show.  Weff and I went to the show together.  We arrived after KP did, whom did her own travel bonanza after she got out of work, onto the plane, onto the BART, and onto a taxi.  Phew!  She made it!  She was able to leave her suitcase with the box office, and I talked to the house manager, whom was willing to take the goody bags to Pella's dressing room, with a request to tell them that they were from Sherry.  (I didn't make any cards this time, but I'm pretty sure that once they saw the bags, they'd know where they came from).

Our seats were front row center.  Thanks, Wendy!  Wendy was wearing her "Steve Dorian" tattoo.  She's so funny.  KP was also in the front row, on the aisle, next to a guy that arrived at the same time as her.  I gave KP a monkey bracelet.  We were excited.  It had been 5 months since we'd seen Rockapella proper, and Weff had never seen the current lineup.  But first, the theater folks threw some plush lobsters into the audience for people to take selfies and advertise their lobster bake fundraiser.  They should have given one to Rockapella!  People don't listen to me.  They introduced Rockapella.  It wasn't them.  Well, not really.


SUN BROTHERS OF TAMPA BAY

The Sun Brothers entered the stage, wearing orange sunglasses.  All I could think of was that Karla needed a pair of them.  Well, that and I was thankful they weren't wearing blue suits.  

L-O-V-E
OK, so this is what I'm thinking during this song:  "I sang along to this when Steve was in my car!!!"  Yeah, that happened.  So I had this huge grin on my face for the entire song.  I couldn't see if he was looking at me, but I'm kinda glad because I would get all blush-y.  Love that trumpet section, guys!  

Change The World
So nice.  A baby gurgled.
CSL4:  We put babies to sleep.

CSL4 was wearing a sparkly belt.  I told Wendy.  I don't know why she still wonders why I look at his pants.  I can't help it!  It's SPARKLY!!!  Not, like, bedazzled, but there are shiny bits in the leather or something, and the lights make it sparkle.  


ROCKAPELLA

Rock Around The Clock/Tell Me Something Good
Hi, FFE!  They've added a vocal percussion drum line section to this, and that makes me very happy.  I bang my head along with them, because I feel the need to do so. This song will always mean "Reno" to me.  They debuted it there, they made the video for it there, and the time they spent there has many special memories for me.  I wonder why.  :)

Jailhouse Rock
When they picked up their mic stands during "Chain Gang" and walked around yelling "Hoo!  HA!", Steve directed his shouts at Weff.  Theguys put JT behind bars.

CSL4 regarding the name of the town:  Your town is more than liver...it's extra pate.
CSL4:  Who was here 2 years ago?
Most of the applause was from me and Wendy.
CSL4:  We're really pickin' em up!

Dancing In The Streets
FFE went a little astray there.  Cal and CSL4 kinda looked at each other, but they were all able to get back on track.  JT did some pelvic thrusting during his dance solo.  He may not dance often, but when he does, watch out!  FFE almost walked off of the stage right in front of us and I got all nervous that he was going to fall down.  I do not want to have to visit you in the hospital, Steve!

Satisfaction
When FFE left the stage during "Cupid", I turned to Wendy and said, "He sang this in my house!!!"  He talked to someone.  He went to the other side of the room.  He tried to go back to the stage, but all we could hear was, "That door is LOCKED!" and then he made his way back into the theater house, saw that there were no stairs back to the stage, and kind of rolled his way onto it.  Wendy was concerned that the stage was dirty because JeffEvs was able to write his name in the dust on the stage in front of us.  I could not stop laughing about the door.

CSL4 said that he was told that their new CD was in the lobby, called "Motown and More":  There's some Motown, and then there's some more.  We figured, "Let's not get too specific."

I got a wave from FFE.  I'm pretty sure I was still giggling at that point. Actually, when am I NOT giggling during a Rockapella show?  Oh, well maybe when I'm listening to the actual music.  

My Cherie Amour
I have heard this song many, many times.  Why is it that tonight I wondered about FFE and CSL4: "Are they singing in French?"  like it's new or something?  Calvin is so awesome at this song.

CSL4 said that he had to really concentrate while singing the song, because he was so busy enjoying Calvin.  He said that Ryan just got married and has a new baby...dog.
RC said "Livermore", and people swooned.  
CSL4:  It sounds good when YOU say it.

Paper Doll
Hello, Flirty Flirty Eyes!!!!  Once Cal started singing, the dude in back of me was all loud, saying, "Oh my God!  I can hear them!"  I wanted to turn around and tell him, "Yes, and they can hear YOU."  But I didn't.  I needed to concentrate on FFE.  Also, the looks that JT makes at RC when he's singing the lead.  I did my Beautiful Eyes thing back at FFE at the end of the song and blew him a kiss.  Awww, he's SO DREAMY!

Blame It On The Boogie
Cal pointed his mic directly at me for the echo of "Moonlight!"  Cal was in FFE's space when they were dancing, so FFE pushed him back in order not to run into him.  Well, now FFE's leg is out of control, too, not just CSL4's.  I like how they all point at JT at the end, because the boogie is all him.


<INTERMISSION>


Hi, JT!  We saw him waiting in the wings.

Draggin' the Line
I think that's a good place for this song, after intermission.  I wasn't fond of it when it was the opener of the show.  JT slapped Ryan's butt during his solo.  Hmmm...what was that about? (Later that weekend, JeffEvs asked Ryan about this.  Ryan wasn't sure.  JeffEvs asked if maybe he was dragging the song, and JT wanted him to hurry up.  I think it was, like, "Giddyup, already!").

Used Ta Be My Girl
They are having so much fun up there tonight!

Commercials
CSL4:  We sold our souls to the corporate devil for a quick buck.
Audience Member:  YAY!
CSL4:  Ah, Silicon Valley.

My cheeks hurt from laughing.  

After they sang about Dr. Pepper, CSL4:  Wow.. Not. A. Dime.

CSL4 went into the audience and talked to Liz.  Not our Liz.  Some other woman.  He asked her to come on stage.  "Put your shoes back on."
JT:  California!
CSL4 asked Liz where she's from.  APPARENTLY, between New Jersey and Livermore, it gets complicated.  She works in QA for a software company.
CSL4:  That's a California thing, isn't it?

Stand By Me
Liz did a great job.  CSL4:  I think you have a career in singing.  No more software for you.

Ain't Too Proud to Beg
Oops!  Her shoe came off!

Thrift Shop
While Ryan sings the opener, the guys walk in while bent over like they're grandmas. 

Carmen
JT's solo:  So. Very. YES!  That was way awesome.

Encore

A*Punk
Ay! Ay! AYYYY!!!  Do you think that the Fonz co-wrote this song?

Wonderful World (off mic)
I love being able to hear JT singing RIGHT. THERE.

Another wave from FFE, which I didn't notice at first because I'm an idiot.  He kept waving until I saw him, I guess.  Hi, Steve!

After the show, I just had to take a picture of the locked door.

Somebody forgot to tell the ushers to open this.

Also, Elvis, in Jailhouse Rock pose!  



JeffEvs was strategically positioned outside the ladies' room so that he could hold programs.  Thanks, JeffEvs.  KP went to the box office to get her luggage while we waited for our turn to talk to the guys, and she gave a Thank You card to the house manager for being so nice.

Baggage Claim

Meet and Greet

KP talked to Fred at the sound board, and saw that he had taken his goody bag there, mentioning that he got cookies from me.  He told her that they all got cookies, just to make sure that she knew he wasn't being singled out.  Yeah, Fred, but they didn't bring them on stage to eat them during the show.  :) He kept telling everyone that he'd been up since 2:00 a.m., our time.

There was sheet music for sale, Scott's "Don't Tell Me You Do".  I didn't think I had it.  I'm glad I bought it that night, because Scott said that it was, indeed, new.  I asked him to please not sign over his beautiful face.  KP told him her saga of getting to the show.  He thanked her for the effort.  Weff talked to him about the pets, Cutie and Princess.  I do not think that Scott named them.  He also said that Jesse is now in NY, but attending Florida State via online courses.  Scott said to me, "I heard that you guys had a good time with Steve at your house."  (I thought, "Uh oh").  Then I steered it to tell him that he should come to the house for a house concert, especially because we have a name for it and everything.  He liked the name PellaPosse Palladium.  I told him it was Wendy's idea.  

Sher and her future house guest.  Right, Scott?  Right?!

It was Geo's birthday, and Wendy made signs so that we could send him a joint birthday greeting.  I asked Scott to take the picture.  This is what it's come to, folks.  Pella is taking pictures of us for former Pella. 

Awww, he's still the man.

Ryan showed Wendy a picture of his dog, and she showed him Barney.  He purposefully took a knee on an ottoman to talk to KP.  She said that she noticed he did that because she's short.  He added, "I'm also wearing boots."  He took a selfie when KP asked him to take a picture of our Calvin sandwich.  We talked about the sunglasses that the Sun Bros wore, and he said that he got them through his day job.  She said that she wanted a pair because they're orange and her school colors, and he said he would give her one.  Aw, how sweet!  He wants to make some that labeled "Sun Brothers".  I asked him, "Why is it not Chap-elle?"  He said it used to be, then somebody changed it to Chapel, then somebody was being fancy and added the "E".  He had posted on FB that week that his wife talks in her sleep, and I told him that he needs to see the blog "Sleep Talkin' Man", even though she doesn't post anymore.  He said that the post got more likes than anything else he's every posted.  I told him that my BFF and I had a full-on conversation with each other once after we went to sleep, and her dad told us about it in the morning.  

With the Bass Man

Calvin is happy that his son is now in college.  One down, one to go.  His son is majoring in sports medicine at a small college in Georgia.  When Ryan was taking forever while taking our picture, Calvin was irritated because he was really tired.  KP has the progression of 4 pictures that Ryan took, with Calvin more frown-y in each one.

When KP was talking about the saga of her trip and the number of shows she's attended, Jeff said, "She's reached Platinum status."  Ryan:  "How about Diamond?"  He said that KP was having a good time in the front row.  KP:  "I earned it."  He was telling Weff that he was hungry, and they reminded him about the In-N-Out nearby.  He said that he and Ryan went straight there after they arrived, but still asked how late it was open.  I told him that it was open until 1 a.m., and he got all excited.  He asked me, "Did you bake today?  I'm sure it's delicious, but I'm saving it for the road."  I said, "Well, not today, but yesterday.  I figured that I needed sustenance for the road trip because I was going to be driving a lot, and thought you all might need sustenance too, since you're doing the same thing." He told me that I'm really smart.  Aw, thanks, JT!  He told me that he'd be listening to podcasts, so I should, too.  I asked him what podcasts.  He recommended Bill Maher's show (they do podcasts, too, which I didn't know), and RadioLab.  He said that I would get addicted to RadioLab.  I still need to check it out, but it sounds cool.

Steve asked KP, "What has it been?  Like, a month?"  He said to me, "Hi, Sherry," all cute-like.  Hi!  He brought out his new solo EPs in the goody bag that I gave him.  I was concerned that he ate everything already.  He said that he put them in a different container, so that he could put the EPs in something for me.  (I had asked the folks from the house concert if they wanted me to order for them, so he had a BUNCH of them just for me and my friends).  Then he apologized profusely to Double N for not including him in the Thank Yous, saying that he didn't realize that Double N was a contributor.  He said he owes him one.  I didn't know exactly what he was talking about, except maybe that Double N was one of the core posse contributors for the house concert.  He then told Wendy what all of the pictures were from the disposable camera that she received as her pledge.  His cousins were there, so we let him go and take pictures with them while we got ready to leave.  We ended up seeing him and Ryan in the parking lot as they left with his cousins.  

We went to In-N-Out because we were all pretty much starving.  When we arrived, an employee named Logan was exasperated because #63 was not picking up their order.  KP offered to just take it because she was hungry and was waiting for her food.  He was quite entertaining as he tried different ways of getting #63 to come up and get their darn food already.  Entertaining and still respectful.  It must have been tough for all of them, because a high school football game had just let out, and there were a LOT of customers.  I didn't see anyone wearing marching band apparel, though, so I was disappointed and didn't care about the other kids.  Finally, #63 arrived, and then #80 took forever to pick up their french fries, which might have sent Logan over the edge, because he had to take a break after that, which was AFTER I got my food.  I was #94. We loved Logan.  He was awesome.  While we were eating, KP got excited because somebody was wearing a Varsity jacket with the name "Leonard".  

We went back to the Hawthorn.  I took a look at the credits on Steve's EP.  There's my name!  There's Weff!  He didn't mention Cindy or KP, so I don't know why he felt bad for not listing Double N.  I figured that maybe it was for the get-your-name-in-the-credits pledge that I made, which I paid for, even though it was on Double N's card (pledgemusic payment issues).  I figured I'd tell Steve that he's off the hook with Double N, not that he would really care that much anyway.   KP and I talked for a little while before going to sleep.  I needed to rest.  Long drive in the morning.

Next up:  Reno




No comments:

Post a Comment