Sunday, July 7, 2013

Strong to Save

Western Corps Connection
Sunday, June 30, 2013
Riverside Community College -- Arthur N. Wheelock Stadium

After a day of World War Z and playing with the niece and nephew, it was time for more drum corps.  Rudy showed up at my parents' house so that we could carpool, and we were on our way.  When we arrived at the parking structure, we saw a long line at the parking meter.  We'd never paid for parking there before, and the directions didn't mention that we needed to pay, so I decided to risk it.  The night before, I had been ready with money as mentioned in the directions, and there wasn't anyone or anything there to take my money, so I'm saving my $ for hot dogs.   Bro got a couple of Mandarin flags for the kids. We did get hot dogs, said hi to my friend Mike, and got to our seats:  Section 4, Row P, Seats 1-3.  I was happy that we had a shelf in back of our seats, between our bench and the wall.

The Star-Spangled Banner and O Canada were played by the combined groups of Bishop Grandin "Marching Ghosts" and Yamato Youth Band.

In Exhibition:

Yamato Youth Band played "We Found Love (In A Hopeless Place)" and some song none of the three of us knew.

The Watchmen Sound Sport made a "W" formation.  Rudy said, "Their brass had good eighth notes."  The color guard skirts flew up high due to the empire waist.  During their show, a bee was attracted to Rudy's cinnamon licorice.  He said to me, "Food, Flying Things, and You."  Ah, the history we share: a long time ago, there was an incident on Laguna Beach with a seagull and our waffle cones of ice cream.  There was much screaming and running and laughter.  So, naturally, I giggled during the show.  Sorry for not paying attention.

Bishop Grandin did their "007" show.  Rudy said that the color guard soloist "had pretty arabesques".  Oh, yeah, that's what those are called.  I didn't notice that Bond has a tux jacket until tonight.  Bro was watching the keyboard gal play sound effects, and it reminded him of Ross from "Friends".  I don't think that she's a real pit member.  I mean, she could barely play the high hat!  OK, I know.  They're not a drum corps.

In Competition:

SO CAL DREAM
Their orange flags match the yard markers, as well as the DCI Orange Cone (not here today).  Yup.  The arms are actually laced up with ribbon, not just sleeves.
SCD Color Guard

CITY SOUND
There are two people playing one of the modified conga drums because there are five marimba players and only four drums. Bro:  "The other one would be lonely."  Rudy:  "They should have rain sticks."  Maybe that fifth person could play a rain stick during that part, then!
City Sound DM Salute

IMPULSE
The tubas are the dancing hippos!  Nice smile from the drum major after the salute.
One-handed Marimba Time

GOLD
After the saber guy does his high toss, he struts, and makes me laugh.  Many others laugh with me.  Rudy told us about the movie he recently watched called "Curse of the Golden Flower", because the uniforms reminded him of it.  Rudy:  "I feel like I'm going to watch it all over again." I like all of the percussion features.  STOP DROPPING FLAGS!  I don't remember them shouting  "Ni Hau!" before.
Gold Parasols

<Intermission>
Walked the wrong way to get to the restrooms, had to walk extra.  Let's say it together now: "the farther restrooms have no line, people!"  We got some Gatorade.  For some reason, Bro didn't want the orange one.  I don't know what that's about.  Bro pointed out to me that drum corps personality and uniform design company owner Michael Cesario was present.  He's probably here to watch Crown.

MANDARINS
Well done, Mandarins!  There was no audience participation of number shouting today, like there was last night.  Seriously, every time the narration starts, I think he's about to say, "I was born a poor black child."  The brass needs to be sharper with their dragon tail flags.  Later, we asked Rudy who he thought the narrator sounded like. His response:  "Uncle George!"
Two Brothers

PACIFIC CREST
Two contras and one soprano were on the sideline.  I don't know if those are the holes that we see in the blocks, or what, but the blocks look so much better now!  They need to straighten the end, though.  I really like this music.

CAROLINA CROWN
I think Rudy liked that one.  :)  He exclaimed many times whenever the brass played, which is throughout the entire show.  I kept saying to him, "Right?!"  They have triple tonguing for days. How much do I love your horn line, Crown?  You are the light of DCI, the sun, moon and stars. You are our everything. Without you Drum Corps would have no reason for being.  Yeah, I paraphrased that from "Einstein on the Beach".  (You know I love SCV more, right?).  They have so much stuff that CG brings laundry baskets onto the field, then don't bother to use them when they leave.  Here is a sample of their warm up that night.  I mean, at about 2:00 and 5:50, Jeepers!
Crown Snares with E=mc2 wrap; Awesome horn opening

BLUE DEVILS
Bro and I like the show again.  Rudy's not sure yet.  Somebody dropped her ball and had to go chasing after it.  Another person (or maybe the same one) dropped a rifle.  What is going on with BD's guard?  The soprano ensemble solo hit a really high note.  Together.  It was amazing.  The last soloist now starts with no microphone, then turns to use the microphone.  I'm so confused.  Wow, that's LOUD.
BD Horns

Encore

Blue Devils and Carolina Crown horn lines took up the entire field and still couldn't make a proper arc.  We forgave them as soon as heard the first three notes.  

"Eternal Father, Strong to Save":  Wow, it's my favorite hymn!  One of Rudy's, too.  It brings me memories of singing at St. James.  Rudy's dad was a US Naval officer.   Also, it's the reason that I love the score from "Crimson Tide" so darn much.  That was beautiful.  See?



Scores

All-Age Corps:
61.25  So Cal Dream

Open Class:
3) 53.35  City Sound
2) 62.90  Impulse
1) 68.30  Gold

World Class:
4) 67.90  Mandarins
3) 70.30  Pacific Crest
2) 80.95  Blue Devils
1) 81.85  Carolina Crown

No, no boos.  Lots of cheering.  We happily went back to my parents' house and told V about our evening.  As I write this 6 days later, I'm in drum corps withdrawal and keep looking at videos.  Last chance to see drum corps this year in So Cal is at Bellflower on Sunday, July 14.  I'm thinking about it.  Let me know if you'd like to join me!

No comments:

Post a Comment