Friday, July 22, 2011

S.H.I.E.L.D.s up!

I was able to get a ticket for a members-only screening at the ArcLight Pasadena for a showing of "Captain America: The First Avenger" before the midnight crowds.  I love being an ArcLight member!  I also love going to movies like this with a crowd that is just excited as I am.  There was a gal there wearing a Captain America mask/hood, so this was one of those occasions.  Before the movie started, the AL guy did his spiel, but it was after he gave out some free Captain America t-shirts and hats (which I did not win).  He also told us that he was excited because the next day would be his 72nd birthday.  Happy Birthday, Frank!  The trailer that got me (and several other people in the audience) excited was the one for "The Amazing Spider-man".  As if an audience such as ours would not be excited about a film based on a Marvel character, right?  Oh, and just so you know, Spider-man has been an Avenger, too.  :)  I learned that from a trivia game. 
  • First shot of the shield, Sherry says out loud, "Yeah!"
  • So, is Chris Evans naturally really skinny, or naturally HELLO, buff!?  Oh, OK.  I've learned that the skinny was digitized by erasing the buff parts.  Neat.  He does a great job in the film as Steve Rogers.
  • Yay!  The original uniform!  Love it.
  • At first, I wasn't sure that the villain was being played by Hugo Weaving.  Then I heard the very deliberate "s" he used at the end of a word, and I knew that it was him.  If he had said, "Mr. Anderson", I would have been TOTALLY sure.  ;)
  • Red Skull has high cheekbones.
  • Hayley Atwell has great lips.  Or great lipstick.  Or a great makeup department that made her lips look like a lipstick commercial.  Seriously, I kept looking at them.
  • "Do you...fondue?"
  • Stanley Tucci was great, as always, as Dr. Erskine.  "What am I doing?  You're having a procedure tomorrow!"
  • I love Tommy Lee Jones as the tough guy.  "He's still skinny."
  • Oh, yay!  Neal McDonough!  I like him.
  • Hey!  It's Iron Man's dad!  Oh, yeah.  There's a bit of the military involved in this movie.
  • "I could do this all day."
  • This really is a war film more than in any of the other Avengers installments.  I'm glad, though, that they didn't show every aspect of every battle, because it would have really dragged for me.
  • That vibranium shield is fake, right?  Because Stephen Colbert has the real one.  ;)
  • I can't believe that after all of the other Avengers movie set-ups, people still leave the theater (and don't return) before the credits are done.  PEOPLE!  Pay your respects, and be rewarded.  Learn, already!
We each received a Captain America poster on our way out.  Nice!  I enjoyed this movie, as I do with most origin stuff, because I like knowing the character progression of heroes.  This was another great installment for The Avengers.  I just watched "Iron Man" on the FX channel today, and now I want to do a whole marathon before May 2012.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't expect to cry at this movie, much less cry THREE times!

    Awesome movie all around.

    And seriously, you'd think people would have learned by now, ESPECIALLY for films like these. Don't flipping leave when the credits start, people! I didn't expect a whole teaser trailer though. That was so cool. But, someone's gotta tell Stark not to mess with Thor, cause Thor will just kick his ass. But I'm looking forward to some more RDJ time.

    "Some assembly required." Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete