Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mary Poppins, Step In Time!

I went to see "Mary Poppins" at the Segerstrom Center for the Performing Arts (OCPAC), and some of my friends joined me.  We sat on the first tier, House Left, 2nd & 3rd rows.  
  • I love the fact that they kept "The Perfect Nanny" true to the original movie version, save for a couple of words.
  • The show is a lot darker than the movie.  Like those toys that came to life:  CREEPY.  But really, anytime you add that smiling monkey playing the cymbals, I'm going to freak out.
  • I miss one of my favorite songs that Mary Poppins sings: "Stay Awake".  I guess that was replaced by the freaky monkey.
  • Wow, I wasn't expecting to see "Jolly Holiday" so early in the show.  I also wasn't expecting naked statues instead of penguin waiters.  I miss the carousel horses.  
  • Loved "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", especially because Mary Poppins actually DID sing the word backwards, unlike in the movie, where the syllables were just messed up.  Fun arm choreography!
  • Now I know why Mr. Banks was so rigid.  "The Holy Terror!"
  • First 4 notes of the song "Feed The Birds", and my eyes already teared up.  It's Walt's song, you know.
  • I liked the showing of the difference between using "A Spoonful Of Sugar" and "Brimstone and Treacle".
  • My favorite song in the movie, mainly because of the dancing, is "Step In Time".  The stage version certainly did not disappoint me!  I just kept on smiling.
  • I liked all of the magic that they used.  It reminded me of the magic they utilized for Chip in the stage version of "Beauty and the Beast".
  • Bert's painting on the sky was really cool.
  • Mary Poppins flies!  And Bert walks up the wall!  And across the ceiling!  And down the other wall!  
  • I really liked the lighting effect during Mary's final ascent with her umbrella.  It was like she was becoming one of the stars.  Nice.
  • My favorite voice of the night was that of Steffanie Leigh, playing Mary Poppins.  She kind of reminds me of Susan Egan.  
I enjoyed the show, and got myself a Flu Brush pen as my souvenir.  It's from my favorite part of the show, and I had told myself before I even got there that if I saw a flu brush for sale, it would be mine.  And now it is.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment