Saturday, July 16, 2011

Epic Sigh

A few weeks ago, I tried to get tickets for the midnight showing of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: part 2", but was unable to get them for any theater with reserved seating.  I didn't really want to be in line for 4 hours just to get seats together, so we opted for opening day in the daylight hours of the morning.


Auntie Milda and Allyson arrived at my house, and we drove to the Arclight Cinemas at Paseo Colorado for the 10:05 a.m. show.  As with most big openings at the Arclight, they had a special display in their lobby for HP.  This one was of all of the movie posters for HP throughout the years.  Very cool.  
Sher and HP Posters


Allyson and I got even more excited.  I even almost bought a horcrux ring, but refrained. For now. Auntie Milda, having only seen, I think, only the first movie, was really just along for the ride.  Allyson is a huge fan of HP, having grown up reading the books, and I've read the entire series and seen all of the other movies many, many times.  We took our seats, and a few minutes later, a lady 2 seats away said to me, "Excuse me, are you ditching work?"  OMG, it was Yvette, my dental hygienist!  She was there with her daughter, Kendra, and Kendra is a big fan, with Yvette just providing parental accompaniment.  I told Yvette that she and Auntie Milda should sit next to each other so they could nap together.  We saw a few people wearing fan gear, and Kendra spied 2 people with wands.  I want one!  This was the very first time that Allyson and Auntie Milda had ever seen a movie in 3-D.  I got even more excited that they were experiencing something new.


Well, here goes.  The last of the Potter series.  

  • The film assumes that you know what's going on when it starts.  No recap.  If you don't remember what happened in DH1, then I recommend that you give it a viewing before you go.  
  • Ron + Hermione scenes = cuteness.
  • Harry + Ginny scenes = chemistryless.
  • Hermione, as Bellatrix: "Good morning!"  
  • Awesome battle scenes of Hogwarts vs. Voldemort's army.  I loved how they protected the school with the shield and the statues.  
  • Professor McGonagall is awesome.  "I've always wanted to do that spell."
  • Molly Weasley kicks ass, too!  Protect your babies, woman!  
  • FYI: Giants are really, really, big.
  • The battle scenes between Harry and Voldemort were epic. EPIC. Loved them.
  • Neville, Neville, Neville.  I heart you muchly.
  • I cried a lot when they showed the aftermath of the war, probably because my brain made me forget who survived and who didn't in the book.  Allyson even had to ask me if I was OK.  I told her later that I cry at most movies, so no worries.
  • I really liked the way that Snape's story was told.  Tears!
  • While I was happy that they showed the epilogue to the story, I still wish that SOME people had more chemistry with each other.  Still boring.
Sigh.  It was wonderful.  It's over.  I'm back to being fulfilled and empty at the same time.

Thank you to J.K. Rowling for providing such a great story, to the filmmakers and cast for an exciting ride, and especially to Daniel, Emma and Rupert for letting us see you grow up over the years in this endeavor.  

I need to see that again!  And again.  And again.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment