Saturday, February 19, 2011

Braided

I got off of work early yesterday, so I made a double feature of myself at  the Arclight in Pasadena.  Between and after the films, I got some shoes.  So it was a good day!


The first film for the day was "True Grit".  Ooh, I like the song on the website!  I don't remember it from the film, though.  I also wish I could stop it from playing so that I can listen to other stuff.  I never saw the John Wayne version, but it was on one of the movie channels when I got home.  I decided not to watch the original in the same day.  Perhaps I will at another time, so that I could compare the two.   

  • Hailee Steinfeld was absolutely incredible.  I loved her performance, and wished that I could have as much moxie as her character when I was 14.
  • "Are we trading again?"
  • I did not really remember the trailers for the movie, so I had completely forgotten that Josh Brolin was in it.  When his character appeared on the screen, I still did not know the actor.  I did not know who it was until the credits.  Was it the black hair?  Whatevs.  He will always be a Goonie to me.
  • My friends had told me about the credit for "Matt Damon's Abs Double", but I had forgotten about it when I watched the film, so I forgot to look for a scene in which we would spot his abs.  I do not remember one.  APPARENTLY, the abs double is Ethan Coen's son, Buster.
  • So in the old days they did not use contractions?
  • Jeff Bridges was awesome.  I loved Rooster's relationship with Mattie, and surprised myself at the end when I was weeping at the love that the old codger had developed for his new friend.  I think I wept from the moment that he sucked the venom out of the snake bite until the very end.  I did not expect that to happen to me, despite my notoriety of crying at everything.
  • I loved Matt Damon's portrayal as the Texas Ranger, especially his pride in being a ranger.  Now that I think about it, it reminds me of Toy Story's Buzz Lightyear, and the way he announces himself as a Space Ranger.
  • I do not like it when horses die.
  • Am I the only one that now wants to go skeet shooting with discs of cornbread?
  • I totally giggled at the guy with the bear fur.
  • "You must pay for everything in this world, one way or another.  There is nothing free except the grace of God."
I really enjoyed this movie.  I think that I want to read the original story by Charles Portis.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, Hailee was terrific, especially since she was actually younger than her character's age at the time the movie was shot.

    Here's the story about the abs credit: http://scottfeinberg.com/truegrit-2.

    I keep hearing that the dialogue is almost an exact duplicate of the original. I'm curious to see it just to see how it differs.

    ReplyDelete