Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Golden Corn Sauvignon

Rockapella in Napa
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Napa Valley Opera House
Napa, CA

I arrived at the Ontario airport, and the line at security started to go out the door while I was standing in it.  I don't know why SWA didn't open up the switchbacks, because they really could have saved people from being confused if they had actually tended to the line a little bit.  I was tempted to fix it myself, but I didn't want to get hauled off by airport security.  The 2 gals in front of me were asked to do the full body scan, but I didn't need to, which prompted one of them to wonder why she was being picked on.  I kiddingly told her that it was because she placed her shoes in the same bin as her laptop (they made her go back and take it out).

Wendy was already at the gate, and I said hello.  The woman next to her moved over so that I could sit down.  It turns out that the woman's nephew had asked Wendy if she could help his aunt get onto the plane and also get off in Sacramento, because she didn't speak any English.  Wendy, being the good Christian lady that she is, kindly agreed to do so, and told me the plan.  I was able to save seats for the 3 of us.  The woman gave us Chinese Dried Plum candy, as well as dried kumquats.  How nice!   How yummy!  Wendy joked that we would be kept regular with our new treats.  I vowed to only eat one a day so as not to make myself sick.  But they were yummy.

When we arrived in Sacramento, our new friend pretty much knew where she was going, so we just kind of said hello to her family and walked to baggage claim.  We soon found that we had walked too far and were standing at a carousel for the wrong flight.  Oops.  So we went back to our carousel, finally picked up our bags, and took the shuttle to the car rental facility.  Our car was a white Toyota Camry, and I asked for GPS so that Wendy wouldn't have to deal with my phone.  We ended up naming the GPS "Annabelle".  She makes a "ding" sound when she wants you to turn, and seemed very polite, so I decided that she was a Southern Belle.  Clearly, she was NOT Helen.

We were hungry, and I wanted to take Wendy to a cafe that I liked, but when I looked it up on the internet, I found out that it was no longer in business.  Bummer.  So we decided to just stop somewhere along the way.  We found a Cindy's Restaurant.  As we got closer, we saw that there wre 2 names for this restaurant: "Cindy's" and "Kow Thai" in the town of Davis.  APPARENTLY, the restaurant is Cindy's by day, and Kow Thai by night, and sometimes by afternoon.  It was kind of confusing.  Since it was daytime, and everyone was told to sit next to the windows, Wendy decided that the perimeter of the restaurant was Cindy's, and the inner tables was Kow Thai.  The inner tables were being set differently than the ones at the window, so I agreed with her theory.  I had breakfast (surprise!  Not.)  and Wendy had lunch.  My breakfast was OK, but bland (mushroom scramble that needed more than just mushrooms and eggs, but there had been no description of it).  I wish we could have tasted the Thai food, but we were too early for that and did not have time to wait in this dual personality place.  Pella awaits!

We drove to Napa and found our hotel, the Best Western Elm House Inn.  It was a quaint place, and it reminded me of a boarding house, what with its open interior and the rooms along the perimeter of the building.  I told Wendy that it made me think of "The Facts of Life".  Then she got mad at me because the theme song from the TV show would get into her head.  I tried to sing "We Are Santa's Elves" to her, but it didn't work.  We got into the elevator, and it smelled like crayons.  I don't know what that was about.  Our room was really pretty, with rose-colored bedding.  We didn't have much time to relax, so we got ready for the show.

The venue wasn't that far away, we found out, as we approached the theater.  Both of us thought that the theater had gold filligree on it for some reason, but there wasn't any on it that day.  I also thought that it was a stand-along building, but it wasn't.  I felt like we had never been there before, when, in reality, I've been there about 3 times.  Whatevs.  We passed by a cupcake place and walked quicker so as not to get tempted by their wares, and entered the Opera House.  

Nick entered shortly afterward and introduced us to his girlfriend, Mikayla.  This would be her first Rockapella show, and actually the first concert where she could sit down, so she was excited.  We also saw Robin and said hello to her and her friend Mary, whom was also at her first Rockapella show.  I downed my 2007 Brick Lane Sauvignon Blanc, and got kinda dizzy.  Not too dizzy to go up the stairs to our seats in the front row, though!  We also saw Jeremy and April, whom were also sitting in front.  Yay!  It's their unborn child's first Rockapella show, too!  Wendy had given up her seat so that she could sit in the front row with me.  So she told the couple in the seats next to her empty one that they could move over if they wanted, since her seat was on the aisle.  She's so nice.

The opening act was the Napa High School Vocal Music Workshop. They sang KT Tunstall's "Black Horse & The Cherry Tree", Mariah Carey's "Always Be My Baby", Coldplay's "Fix You", the House Jacks' "Gone", and a Michael Jackson medley.  They had strong soloists, and were musically very good.  What they lacked, for my taste, was soul.  They didn't seem to be letting loose and having fun until one girl shimmied her shoulders during the MJ medley.  Perhaps they were nervous.  I don't know, but I really liked one of the girl's shoes.  They were red and had, like, a scallop kind of design.


Then it was video time!  Scott's voice sounded gravelly during his "la la la"s.  "Beat is gonna be so sweet!"


Tonight
The guys entered the stage wearing their dark gray suits.  I thought it was cute that Scott and Jeff were back to back at one point.


Scott announced that he is Jim Harbaugh (the new SF 49ers head coach -- he had to inform me of this later).


For U For Now For Life
When we were getting ready for the show, I told Wendy that I listen to this very loudly in my car because I love it so much.  I like that rhythm section thing after the first break.  At one point, I turned to Wendy and said, "Pella Butts".  Want to guess what my view was at the moment?  ;)


Scott said, "What a nice Sunday afternoon...evening."  He couldn't figure out what time of day it was, because his body was still on East Coast time.  It's good that we have an early show today!  Scott said that their flight from Iowa was delayed and delayed and delayed...we got here about 10 minutes ago."  Well, thanks for arriving, Scott!  He continued, "It's not so cold here.  In Iowa, it's negative 1."  Eek!


Nuthin But (ZIP)
I like the pause after the last big "Nuthin".


Got to Get You Into My Life
Steven looked at me.  OK, I'll get into your life!  ;)


I thought that they were in formation for "Stand By Me", but I was wrong.
Just My Imagination/Imagine
Cute intro by George.  I like how the others kneel for his solo during Just My Imagination.


I like Scott's tie.  It's a thin one (like him!), solid silvery/dark gray, with hash marks/checks toward the end of it.  


Tell Me What U Want
I like how it starts with just Scott on the first phrase.  I think that's new.  When he sang, "I'll be your little cabin boy", he patted an imaginary child on the head.  I touched Wendy's knee to let her know that he would be the cabin boy in her cabana on the cruise.


Scott said that they discovered Steven while he was performing  "The Lion King" at WDW.  Some people in the audience laughed.  He said, "it's incongruent to be a baseball star, but then standing next to Pumbaa.  I know he'd kick Pumbaa's butt."


Cupid
Steven picked a gal named Starla to be in the spotlight.  He said, "I'm kinda new around here, would you help me out?"  Sherry whispers:  "Oh my God.  *I* would help him!"


Hard Time
Yay!  It's my first time to hear this live.  I like it done better this way.  Wendy likes the slower version on it, like on the CD.  He sang to the lady singing next to me, probably because he noticed that she wasn't getting into the show yet.  I love when he sings "I'm so in love with you." 
Scott regarding the song:  "We've just done it a couple of times, if you can't tell."  Well, the diehards can tell, because there isn't any choreography for it yet.  Unless they don't plan on doing choreography.  


Scott:  "When we come to California we have to sing one song."
John:  "Just one."
Scott:  "Well, at least one, especially this one."


California Sad-Eyed Girl


John likes to say that Scott "has the Hair of Golden Corn" and also calls him "Crazy Legs Malone".


Paper Doll
Scott kept pointing over to someone on the other side of the theater while introducing this song.  I don't know what that's about, but perhaps he dedicated it to someone over there.  I effing LOVE that bass line!


It was time to "Do it!  Do the hustle!"
From my chair:  "Do the hustle! Owwww."  (My ribs ache from being sick, and yelling does not help).


Rock the Boat
Geo looked at us when he did the heart beat thing.  :)  Scott was too funny when he did whatever that gesture was that he did at George after his solo.  No, it was not lewd.  He kinda had his hands up to his chest and was pushing them out.  At this point, the lady next to me was finally clapping along to the beat with the rest of the audience.  I guess Scott finally reeled her in.  :)  Wendy said that they need to do this song on the cruise.  Agreed.


--Intermission--
I want to sit in those box seats on stage.  They have curtains and everything.


Rockapella returned to the stage without their jackets, except for George.  The stage was dark as the video started up and Scott sang solo the theme from "Thunderball".  (I later told Scott that I really like that intro.  We then went into a conversation about our mutual love for Tom Jones).


Bang!
"Shut your mouth!"  (silence).  I like that.  


Scott asked if we were having a good time, and then informed us in a strained high voice that he was exhausted.  Poor guys having to do all of that fast dancing while singing in key.  They're too awesome for words.


Jingle Medley
Scott:  "We've had this otherwise child-friendly PBS career..."


John asked us to say stuff if we were having a good time.  Then he told us to bark like a dog, and said "Good night!"


My Girl
So then where does John go to get the girl from the audience?  That's right:  Wendy's real seat.  Wendy whispered loudly, "SONOFABITCH!!!"  We laughed and laughed, knowing that we didn't want it to happen anyway without hubby Jeff there.  Anyway, the girl's name is Melina, which, she informed us, is a Greek name, but she's not Greek.  Her boyfriend's name is Albert.  Scott tried to get her to sing "Stand By Me" and at first she denied singing, then she got all into it, and she did very well!  She doesn't sing anywhere currently, but she used to sing for Napa High.  


Ain't Too Proud To Beg


George asked us if we remembered the movie "The Bodyguard", then said, "Yeah, I went for that audition."  I'll Always Love You  Then he said, "There are so many fine-looking women out there that it's time a real man sang to them."  OKAY!


Babygirl
He didn't sing to Wendy as I had predicted.  Bummer.  Maybe that's because his girlfriend was in the audience.  (She was).


A-Punk
Yay!  Another new song!  I really like it a lot.  I look forward to seeing what they do with the choreography.  Ay ay ay ay!


Carmen
During the drum break, JT said, "I need some Merlot.  I'm sorry, Cabernet or whatever.  I don't drink.  Don't drink and drive, kids."  He's so wacky.  Then Geo came back with a short-sleeved shirt.  Hello, muscles!


ENCORE
Papa Was A Rolling Stone
Big applause after the vocal percussion section.


Up On The Roof/Wonderful World


MEET AND GREET


After the show, we went over to Fred and talked to him for a bit.  I asked where his orange juice was, and he said that he gets that when he goes backstage.  We talked about their travel out to the west, and he said that they were all very tired because it was an exhausting travel day due to delays.  He was looking forward to the day off before going to Portland, so that he could sleep.


Tim recognized me and gave me a huge hug, saying that he forgets that Rockapella has fans out here, and that it was good to see a familiar face.  He's earning his Holiday Goodies.  :)


By the time we got to the merchandise table (which was next to the signing table), JT was already ready to do the books.  Um, hello, get your ass back to the table!  No, I didn't say that to him.  The guys dispersed before we got to the table, so I got nothing signed.  But I did get to talk to all of them.  I realized that I had left my camera battery at home like an idiot, but luckily for me, Wendy had her camera with her and offered to take pictures of me with Bananaman and The Guys.


Yup, they met Bananaman!


Well, John didn't, because he said hello and rushed out.  To where, I don't know.  He wasn't going home.  Maybe he was hungry.   Before he left, though, he said that he would see us on the cruise, and that he was bringing his wife.   Jeff also didn't, because he was too busy ignoring us and doing the books.   I kid.  He wasn't ignoring us.  He was just too busy to notice.


Scott was drinking wine, which surprised me, because I thought that he didn't drink.  He said, "I drink like a fish when I don't have to work the next day."  Oh!  I asked him what he was drinking.  "Some Chardonnay."  I told him that he should try a Sauvignon Blanc, which is what I like, because it's fruitier and lighter.  He said he would.  Scott asked if I'd been to a Tampa show.  I told him that I had, but he fell off of a roof that day, and I waved to him at Tampa General from my hotel room.  He showed us the scar on his wrist.  Scott was wearing a big coat and I asked him if he was cold (it was 70 degrees outside that day).  He said that he didn't know what he was anymore, because he came from 5-degree weather.


I told the story of Bananaman to Scott.  I said, "Look, isn't he lewd?!"  He said yes.  He said, "Sherry gets a little lonely sometimes."  I said to him, "I'm never lonely as long as I have Bananaman."  Gooood night, everybody!  I told Scott that I thought that Wendy and I were going to go for some tapas.  He interrupted and said, "You're going topless?  Because if you're going topless, you should be sure about it first."  Clearly, the hoarseness of my voice was failing me, but it was hilarious.  He kindly took two pictures with me and Bananaman because I was closing my eyes and dreaming during the first one.  I LOVE this picture!


Scott, Sher and Bananaman


George told Wendy that they saw the two of us walking to the Opera House when they arrived.  Wow, they WERE late!  George saw Bananaman and said, "What is this?!" and "Ay  Ay Ay Ay!" all A-Punk-like.  I told him about Bananaman, and he took a picture with me and my craziness.


Sher, Geo and Bananaman
Steven hugged Wendy for the first time, which made her happy.  He met Bananaman and agreed to take a picture with us, but when he started to pose for the picture while holding my yellow guy, he said, "Maybe I shouldn't hold him, though."  LOL.  


Sher, Steven and Bananaman
Tim and Fred arrived at the Meet and Greet area, and they both took a picture with me and Bananaman.
Tim, Sher, Fred and Bananaman


Thank you, Wendy, for taking the pictures!


Wendy and I decided to go get some tapas at Zuzu, but the restaurant was very crowded, and we ended up at Downtown Joe's Brewery, which is right next to the Opera House.  She had a margherita pizza.  I had a yummy spinach and basil salad with grilled prawns.  Mmmm....dinner.  :)


When we got home, we talked for hours because of all of the excitement from the evening.  I'm so glad that the guys met Bananaman.  I hope to make the pictures a complete set at the Portland show tonight.


Tonight!  My birthday!  YAY!!!!

2 comments: