Monday, April 12, 2010

Drink Me -- *Not* a Vampire Tale

I hadn't seen "Alice in Wonderland" yet, and Cindy was willing to see it again, so after a fun dinner at BASIL, we saw the movie in 3-D.  I had never really been a fan of the Disney animated version, because the storyline freaks me out.  Since this is live action, I wasn't sure that I wanted to see it, because the posters were kinda freaking me out already, hence my apprehension.  But this was a Tim Burton film, with Johnny Depp: how could I not give this great quirky partnership a chance? 
  • I'm really glad that I gave it a chance.  I ended up liking it a lot better than the original.  Maybe I'm more grown up and accepting of it, maybe it's the Burton/Depp thing.
  • I already liked Mia Wasikowska from the HBO Series "In Treatment".  How funny that I only know her as someone with something going on mentally in both shows.  She did a great job in this film.
  • So are all live-action 3-D movies going to have little floaty things all around?  Because I never see that many in real life.
  • I liked trying to figure out who in Underland matched the people in..um..Overland.
  • The film didn't scare me as much as the posters did.
  • Loved Anne Hathaway as the White Queen.  She was just so cute walking around and talking with her arms raised all of the time.  I especially loved when she talked about her sister's abnormal head.
  • Helen Bonham Carter cracked me up as the Red Queen.  At one point, though, I thought that she was going to have some pies made out of the card people, because that's how I think of her now.  Off with her head, and put it in a pie!  OK, she didn't actually say that.  But I loved that EVERYTHING was heart-shaped.
  • I missed the Tweedles hats from the animated movie, with their differently-lengthed thingies.
  • I love the background characterization the Johnny Depp used to help design the Mad Hatter: mercury poisoning and red hair and madness. 
  • Johnny Depp and Tim Burton together are GENIUS.
I enjoyed that movie more than I had expected.  I hope you do, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment