Sunday, November 30, 2008

Rachel and Repo

I saw "Rachel Getting Married" about a month ago, so I guess it's time I made my comments on it in time for the DVD to be released, whenever that's going to be.

  • Anne Hathaway is as terrific in this role as all the hype you've heard.  The role of her recovering addict is totally different from all of her rom-com/princess-y roles.
  • I think that the incessant playing of the bohemian musicians would have made me crazy if I was staying at the house, too.  I mean, shut up, already, and let me play some rock and roll.
  • I really didn't understand the whole wedding theme.  Was it supposed to be an East Indian wedding?  Why the saris?  Did they just really like the Indian culture?  None of them seemed to be Indian, so I was confused.
  • There were a lot of uncomfortable moments, which is understandable given the subject matter.  
  • All of the actors did a good job, although none of them could get me out of the whole bohemian music/wedding theme craziness.  

Shortly after seeing that movie, I saw "Repo: The Genetic Rock Opera" with several friends who enjoy demented stuff.  When Cindy said that Anthony Stewart Head was starring in the movie, I hurriedly advised that I wanted to see the movie, because I loved him as Giles in "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and knew that he could sing.  Although I dislike opera, I figured that a rock opera could be interesting, and really, did I care?  It was Tony!
  • OK, that was violent.
  • That dude had his spine ripped out because he didn't make his payments on his transplant.  Just ew.
  • Liked GraveRobber's voice.
  • That was Sarah Brightman?!  I never thought that she was cool until seeing this movie.  Yes, I liked her in Phantom, but I'm not much a fan of her voice.  I enjoyed it in this movie, though.
  • I also liked Shilo's voice.  I especially liked her room, because in her daydream, her plush hippo sings.  Yes, a hippo.  How perfect was that?!
  • Am I demented because I liked seeing Paris Hilton's face fall off?  Not the gross part of it, but the symbolism of it.  The gross part was just gross.
  • Why did that guy have to screw new faces on to himself?  And why were they so badly placed onto him?  Blech.
  • I didn't know that Paul Sorvino could sing, much less sing so operatic.  What a beautiful high note he has!
  • That Zydrate stuff sure is a pretty blue.
  • I did like the comic-book style cinematography.  It helped me remind myself that their world wasn't real.  Because I didn't like that messed-up world.
  • True to being an opera, tragedy occurs.  I can't believe I actually cried.  

OK, so 2 movies which did not make me feel all shiny-happy inside.  The next one will be happier, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment