Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bikinis for Sea Beings

OK, I'm just loving the most recent post from Michael Ian Black's blog.

My favorite paragraph:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There was a little bit of controversy regarding my daughter’s costume. Here’s the thing: my opinion is, if you’re going to go around asking for free candy, at least make your costume as good as it can be. Show a little effort. Okay – so my daughter wanted to go as a mermaid this year. A little trite, but better than some of her previous ideas (princess, witch, etc.). When she showed me her costume, I said, "It's very cute but I have a suggestion: lose the top." My wife said that it was too cold to go topless and also that it was inappropriate. I didn’t disagree with her on either count, but we got into a big fight because my point was that if she wanted to go as a mermaid she had to understand the consequences of her decision. If I have a pet peeve it’s that mermaids are always shown with bathing suit tops, which I’m sorry, is bullshit. Why would mermaids wear bathing suit tops? They wouldn’t. Don’t believe me? Just ask yourself this simple question – where would a mermaid get a bathing suit? At the underwater swimsuit store?
************************************
I myself have often wondered why they don't use shells on all of the mermaids, like Ariel has.  Perhaps because the shells could scratch mermaids in the wrong places.  Don't know.

1 comment:

  1. I would think that the sides of the shells would be worn smooth by the ocean currents and little rocks and sand. And if they used the shells with the clams still inside it, that would be like stuffing your bra! ;)

    I figured the mermaids would get bikini tops from the drunk girls who go swimming in the ocean and then take their tops off, never to find them again.

    ReplyDelete