Saturday, April 5, 2008

When did I stop being a Christian?

I was talking to someone the other night, and they asked me, "Are you Catholic or Christian?" I went off on a rant, and they explained to me that they just meant to ask if I was of a certain denomination or not, but it still bugged me.

This is not the first time that I've heard someone make this distinction. When the question is asked in this manner, it hearkens back to a time that someone told me that some people think that Catholics are not Christian. I think it had to do with the fact that we emphasize the importance of Mary, but I just don't buy it. I guess they're just ignorant or whatever, but I was never taught in Catechism that Mary is God. We just ask her for help to pray for us, as we do for the other saints. (Hey! Saint! That's me!) :)

Anyway, my rant included the fact that Catholics follow the teachings of Jesus, and we actually depict Him on the Crucifix, so where did the aforementioned people get the idea that Catholics aren't Christian?

I'm not going around telling people which church is best. What I believe is my faith. But don't tell me that I'm not Christian. You'd just be as wrong as wrong can be. I sing for His glory every week. I read the lyrics that I'm singing, you know. I've been told that when I'm up there leading the congregation, my love for the music and for God shine through and that I'm clearly happier up there than any other time they've seen me.

So don't downgrade me and tell me that my faith ain't real. These days, I need that faith more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment