Friday, April 11, 2008

Adventures in BradySitting -- Day 3

I got up a little late, so Bro had already left before I was done with my shower. When I opened the door, there was Brady, smiling at me and giggling, because Dad had just finished telling him to knock on the bathroom door to get me out of there. What a cute face to see in the morning!!!

Brady and I played some air hockey. There was only one handpiece to use, because we couldn't find the other one. So I offered to use the bottom of a Duplo block. I said, "Should I just pretend? I can use this..." and Brady nodded his head. We started to play, but he must have decided that my block was giving someone an unfair advantage, so he took a Duplo block for himself, and the game was on. Well, kinda. The air doesn't work on the hockey table because it needs batteries (it's a small table game), so we just kinda pushed the little disc around. I know this paragraph is long, but the game only lasted, like, 3 minutes. He got tired of it and decided to build stuff with the Duplo blocks instead. What's interesting about him is that he tries to get his towers to be one color. Lots of other people use whatever color is there, but he's quite methodical about it. After he connected his tower to whatever concoction I made, he realized that I wasn't using like colors, so he took it apart a little bit to make things match more. So I guess he won't be needing Garanimals.

Oh, Bro told me a few days ago that Brady bases his outfit choices on whatever Bro is wearing. So if Bro wears blue, Brady wants to wear blue. Too cute. Dad asked him about the color of his shirt that day, which was orange. I asked him what color Bro was wearing that day. Brady said it was blue. Apparently, Brady ran out of blue shirts, and someone needs to do laundry.

Brady saw that Dad was trying to sneak out in the morning, so Dad brought him along with him. After they returned, we went to Lakeshore Learning Center to get some gifts for a couple of kids. Brady seemed OK playing by himself as long as Dad was still in his sight line. When I offered to take him around the store to shop for something he'd like, he couldn't see my Dad anymore, and kept calling out, "Nono, Nono!" while walking through the aisles. He didn't walk very far, though, so I've decided that he's not quite a searcher yet. At least not in strange places. We didn't want him to get yet another ball-based toy, so he got mad at me when I wanted to take him away from the one that got his hand stuck. No, I did not get his hand stuck. He did that all by himself. Dad convinced him that he wanted a fishing rod magnet and a bag of letters that you can use in the bathtub. When we got home, Dad was disappointed that the reel on the fishing rod didn't actually turn. Brady was equally disappointed when he tried it. Dad has now decided that he's just going to give him a real fishing rod. OK, but when Brady got tired of fishing for magnets with the rod, he just started using the string and its magnet to pick up the other stuff. Hopefully, he won't do this when he gets a real fishing rod.

We went to Costco, and I carried Brady around while Dad got in line for his prescription. (He didn't want to ride in the cart, so Dad took it to get his orange juice). Brady didn't want to try any of the samples, so I ate them while he pointed at everything saying, "Ooh, BIG!" Yes, I encouraged that. I can't help it that those boxes of milk are big enough for him to crawl into. We also went to the flower bouquets and smelled the roses. We ate our lunch there, and Brady pretty much picked all of the meat off of Dad's pizza. Apparently, they can sit there for hours because there are birds for him to watch and stuff. Hey, as long as there's food and drink and restrooms, go ahead and loiter, I say. On the way home, Dad asked him to sing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star." So I sang, while Brady aah'd along. Apparently, he does know some words, but he didn't feel like singing them at the time. At least he was on pitch, which is what I hoped would happen. I tried to get him to say "TA DAH!" after he was done with each song, but I'm not sure that it stuck. I do know, however, that the difference between "bank" and "net" stuck, though, because I quizzed him without even having a ball handy.

Unfortunately, with all of the caffeine from Dad's Coke (the lemonade didn't taste right), Brady didn't feel like taking a nap. He actually ran from room to room to see what the dogs were doing, and they were really just lying there. We went to visit my mom and hung out there until she was ready to leave, and Bro met up with us. Brady really loved the carrots that were on Mom's plate, eating almost all of them, so it looked like Mom had quite the appetite. We told Brady that he could play with Mom's balloon when he came back the next day, but he didn't want to get into Bro's car without it, so he ended up taking it with him. I was just happy that there was no balloon in our car. :) Anyway, before he left, we told Brady that he wouldn't see me the next day, so he actually gave me a kiss this time. Finally!

You see? Dreams do come true! No, I'm not just talking about the absent balloon.

We'll see how much he remembers about our bonding time when we spend time at Disneyland together someday. Bro wants to see if Brady will actually let me carry him around there next time. I guess one needs to have goals, right?

1 comment:

  1. I love that he re-did your work because the colors didn't match.

    "Is that made of Duplo?" ;)

    Fishing, huh? Hey, Kenai can teach him how to fish with a rod! :)

    Yeah, you got your kiss!

    ReplyDelete