Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Adventures in BradySitting -- Day 1

My mom has been unable to take care of my nephew Brady this week, so I'm staying at my parents' house to help out my dad. Brady usually ignores me for a few hours before he warms up to me, so I thought that maybe if I stay for a few days in a row (instead of a day here and there), he'd get used to the idea of having me here.

We started yesterday with him agreeing to eat an egg that I cooked for him, even though he didn't actually say hi to me. That's OK. I'm not a morning person, either. Then we went upstairs to watch "Curious George," which is his favorite program. He said, "Monkey!" when I suggested going to watch it. During the program, he decided to turn on my dad's laptop, and promptly clicked on the TurboTax program. Since I didn't really want him to mess up my dad's taxes, I firmly said, "No, Brady," which resulted in loud crying until my dad came upstairs and clicked on the Curious George game website, which is what Brady had originally intended to do. He's pretty good at that, BTW. Brady also taught me how to play on his Nintendo DS, so that I could keep busy with him.

Well, our first argument of the day was over, and, surprisingly, we didn't have anymore. My dad sneaked off for a little while, and Brady did notice after about 10 minutes, so he went downstairs looking for my dad, calling "Nono, Nono!" (his version of the Tagalog word for Grandpa, which is actually "Lolo"). I somehow distracted him by playing basketball, which thoroughly entertained him as long as I was excited about my own b-ball skills. He ended up learning the expression "WHOO HOOOO!" (complete with arms up), "Winner!" and also learned the difference between "Bank" and "Net" shots. This impressed my dad later on in the day, so I'm pretty sure I taught him something new, which is cool. He did end up playing with me for awhile as I dribbled the ball (he can't quite do that yet), passed the ball to him, and he made the shot. Oh, he also learned "rebound," but I don't know if he knew that before. The night before, with my brother's lead-in, Brady cheered the U of Michigan "Let's Go Blue!" which cracked us all up, especially due to the fact that he was wearing his Michigan shirt.

Dad came home and after I left for awhile and returned, we had lunch and eventually took a nap. Yes, all of us. My nap didn't last quite as long as Brady's (2.5 hours), but it was still quite relaxing, as most of the family has been anxious as of late, and I needed the rest.

By the time Brady awoke, it was close to time to get him to his Daddy, so we said our goodbyes. Brady still won't hug and kiss me goodbye, but maybe we'll get around to it by the end of my stay here.

1 comment:

  1. Love the title!

    I think it would have been funnier and freakier if he had actually intended to do your dad's taxes rather than playing the Curious George game. ;)

    Looking forward to more reports.

    ReplyDelete