Thursday, August 10, 2017

Got A Hole In My Pocket

DCI Finals Week
Travel Day
Wednesday, August 9, 2017


I drove to the Ontario Airport on Wednesday morning and thought that I had scored with the parking when I saw a bunch of empty spaces...and then I saw that the aisles were blocked off.  Oh, that's employee parking now.  The security line was long because TSA wouldn't let people up the escalator to prevent blocking the top.  They only had two x-ray machines going.  Well, they had 2.5 because one was for pre-check only.  I think they should have let people go through there when there wasn't anyone in line for pre-check, but I'm efficient that way.  They are also doing construction to add another lane.  Ontario was one of my favorite airports for a while because I have good memories there, but this was ridiculous today.  I was in the line downstairs for at least 10 minutes before being allowed up the escalator, and there were maybe 20 people in front of me in my line.  They kept giving priority to TSA pre-check and First Class/Preferred members in the other line.  The guy behind me finally yelled out loud, "We need to get on a plane, too!"  I understand priority and all that, but they really need to do something with the pace up on the second level.  Maybe have 3 people checking IDs?  Also, the aforementioned use of the 3rd x-ray when no TSA pre-check folks are present?  Is it really that hard to figure out?

Anyway, my flights were thankfully uneventful.   I saw a couple of people wearing DCI gear (Bluecoats and PC) in Ontario, which made me smile.  While I waited to board in PHX, I was even happier because I saw folks wearing SCV jackets.  In the jet way, I heard people talking about being in Vanguard and whether or not they were marching with the alumni corps this year. 

When I arrived in Indy, I got in line with a bunch of other folks to board the IndyGo Express shuttle.  We all wondered what was going on when we saw a full IndyGo bus pass by.  When the shuttle arrived for pickup, he let those of us with reservations have priority, so that worked out for me!  Bro and V had already checked into the hotel early in the morning, but I still checked in so I could change the credit card on the account.  We caught up a little as I unpacked (they kept calling me fancy with my matching carryon and purse), then walked to the Old Spaghetti Factory to have dinner with their friends from their time in Ithaca. 

This year, we're staying at the Downtown Marriott, which is currently undergoing some construction.  Look at the pretty view from our room!


So another Finals Week has begun, one of my favorite weeks of the year.  Now let's see if I can actually sleep because, dang, it's early for this So Cal girl.

In the meantime, here's the reason for the title of this post, because I can't be here without listening to this song:




Next Up:  DCI Prelims

No comments:

Post a Comment