Saturday, August 26, 2017

Celestial Symphony

The Planets with Dudamel
Hollywood Bowl
Hollywood, CA
Tuesday, August 22, 2017

I bought a set of five tickets for this season at the Bowl, but I'll be elsewhere for the last show I was going to attend, so this was my last show of the season.  I took the shuttle from Arcadia, and when I arrived, I couldn't decide what to eat for dinner.  All I knew was that I didn't want to eat sushi, because I already had rice at lunch.  I walked in and out of the marketplace twice before I finally decided on a roasted veggie sandwich and Terra Chips.  


Scordatura by Daniel Bjarnason -- world premiere, LA Phil commission with generous support from Elizabeth and Justus Schlichting; violin soloist Pekka Kuusisto
  • The piece started with the soloist whistling while playing pizzicato.  The rest of the strings come in pizzicato also, but not whistling.
  • The piece was not melodic, but it was interesting.
  • He plays (with bow) as he sings, too!  
  • This piece was written especially for Kuusisto. Cool.
  • Cute how the soloist kind of teased Dudamel while he was playing a lot on the low string, which I have now learned was tuned to a low D.  (It's usually a G).  THAT'S what was weird!  
The Planets by Gustav Holst -- LA Philharmonic with Women of the Los Angeles Master Chorale

  • Mars, the Bringer of War -- Kicked butt.  It was awesome.  It was really difficult for me to refrain from yelling "VAAANNNGUAAAAAARD!" a few times.  Instead, I cheered really loudly, "YES!!!!" at the end, which is not what I usually do during a concert but I couldn't help myself.  Thank goodness I was sitting near people just as enthusiastic as me.
  • Venus, the Bringer of Peace -- There were two harps being played on stage.  TWO!  I want to try playing the harp, but I don't want to have to wheel it around everywhere.
  • Mercury, the Winged Messenger -- I like that the music is so lilting, like flying.  Even when Dudamel conducted, his arms looked like he had little wings.  
  • Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity -- Hmmm...I need to use that word someday.  I love this piece.  I almost cried, it was so majestic and beautiful.  
  • Saturn, the Bringer of Old Age -- I don't know if Dudamel touched his shoulder because he was showing that when you get old your joints start aching, or if he was sore from all of the big conducting movements during Jupiter.
  • Uranus, the Magician -- I agree with the lady behind me. The beginning of the piece sounds like "The Sorcerer's Apprentice".  Must be the magic theme.  There are four bassoons in the orchestra. That's a lot of bassoons.
  • Neptune, the Mystic -- I can hear the influence on John Williams' score for "Star Wars" in this piece.  The women of the LAMC sang from off stage, and it was ethereal and sounded really cool.  Those tritones!  Yes!
Well, that was a pleasant end to my season at the Bowl.  Two nights after the solar eclipse, I get to hear The Planets live.  Thank you, Dudamel and the LA Phil!




No comments:

Post a Comment