Sunday, October 25, 2015

Stay Gold

Dallas Comic Con Fan Days
Sunday, October 18, 2015
Irving Convention Center
Irving, TX


Sunday at Comic Con, despite the shorter day, had a lot in store for us!

Celebrity Q&A with C. Thomas Howell
CTH's panel was in a smaller room than the ones I attended the previous day.  It was nice and intimate, and I was on the aisle in the 3rd row.  He walked in with the interviewer.  CTH was wearing sexy mirrored aviator sunglasses, but he took them off before I could get a picture of him wearing them.  His dad is a stuntman, and his family is full of stunt people.  He's pretty much the only actor out of the bunch.  He happened to be on set when someone asked him to read from a script and then was asked to interview with Steven Spielberg.  One catch: he needed to know how to smoke cigarettes.  So his dad taught him how to pack the cigarettes, how to hold a cigarette, and how to smoke, which he learned in the car on the drive to the interview.  His interview went well, but when he was asked to smoke, he had sat on his pack of cigarettes, so he had trouble lighting a bent one.  They gave him the part.  This was the interview for "E.T."  Steven Spielberg was really smart and had a trailer set up that had all kinds of video games inside.  He told the cast of boys that they would only be allowed to play in the trailer once they finished their work that day.  CTH said that all the guys had their lines ready every day so that they could play.  He said that he learned a lot from Rutger Hauer, whom said that he "doesn't play bad guys."  This kind of freaked out CTH because of Hauer's many iconic villainous roles, but he understood later on when he played the villain in "The Hitcher".  When talking about "Red Dawn", he said that Patrick Swayze told him that it would be their last movie together (this was their 3rd).  Swayze just knew that three was enough for Hollywood, and they never worked together again, although they stayed close.  CTH said that Swayze excelled at everything he did, but the one thing that CTH was better at than Swayze was riding a horse.  Swayze was jealous of CTH's horsemanship, especially when they filmed the sequence in "Red Dawn" where he shoots while riding a horse and the horse rears up.  CTH said that wasn't planned, and the horse did it on his own, but pretended like he meant to do that when everyone praised him. Also, he said, "Wolverines!" during the panel, which made us cheer.  He said that the cast of "The Outsiders" was isolated in a hotel in Tulsa because people went crazy when they heard that the book was adapted into a film script.  People still found them, though, and tried to be with them.  I love that he mentioned "Secret Admirer".  Someone asked him about "Soul Man", and he said that it would be really difficult to get done today, because it's really tough to get a movie done with a white man playing blackface, unless he's Robert Downey, Jr.   It was a great Q&A!  I was only annoyed by one woman whom, after CTH answered her questions, still talked to him like they were having their own Q&A session.  No follow-up questions, lady!  Ugh.  Everyone was very respectful, though.  Is it wrong that I loved that he was able to curse all over the place because of the intimacy of the room?  BTW, CTH, your secret is safe with me!  ;)

Celebrity Q&A with Bonnie Wright
Angela was at the Shawn & Aaron Ashmore Q&A while I was at CTH, but we met up for this one.  Bonnie Wright is now a documentary producer.  How old am I?  Most of the questions she was asked were about her time on the Harry Potter films.  She said that the other kids playing the Weasley family acted like she was their real little sister, and they were all like family.  When asked, though, whose death affected her the most in the movies, she did not mention Fred.  She said it was because he teased her too much.  Her favorite spell was Reducto, because it would make things break and explode.  

Autographs
I wanted to get my picture with the Outsiders signed by both of them, because I had lost my mind by that point.  I told C Thomas Howell that I was really happy when I saw him on the season premiere of "Sleepy Hollow", but then he died.  He said, "Yeah, I've been getting a lot about that this weekend.  I'm going to try to get a part where I don't die."  Angela asked him to sign with something other than black ink because the background of the picture is dark.  He asked which color.  I said, "Stay gold, Ponyboy."  So he wrote "Stay Gold" in what else?  GOLD.  

Angela and I both got autographs from Ralph Macchio.  He saw the photo of us, and said, "I remember you."  I asked, "Because I said 'Ohmigosh!"?  He said yes.  I couldn't even talk anymore, because OHMIGOSH, he's the damn Karate Kid, and he remembered me from the day before.

Then we just stood there for awhile, and I told Angela that I really wanted a picture of CTH with his sunglasses (they were on his table).  She somehow got me to get the nerve to go back to his table, and she told the volunteer that I forgot to pay for a selfie as part of my package with the autograph.  Thanks for treating me to that, Ang!  I asked CTH if I could get the picture with him wearing his sunglasses, and he was happy to oblige.  He even took THREE pictures with us!  One with just me, then a CTH sandwich, then with just Angela.  It was soooo sweet of him!  Also, he hugged me and said my name, and I might just take him away from my best friend Mich because she's married now and I'm not.  (CTH was her crush when we were growing up and I loved Scott Baio).
Ponyboy Sandwich

With Angela

Hi, Sexy Shade man!


Angela wanted an autograph with Michael Rooker, but he wasn't there yet and it was taking a long time, so we met the Ashmore twins.  She got a great "Sexy Sandwich" picture with the 2 of them.  She also got an autograph from Bonnie Wright.  I asked Ms. Wright if she was wearing jewelry from her parents' designs, and all of her jewelry was from them.  Angela had her sign it to her daughter so that she can have it later.  Sweet.  Michael Rooker finally arrived, and I reminded him that we bumped butts.  He kept calling us "baby".  Unsurprisingly, I'm good with that.  I came thisclose to getting his autograph to commemorate the moments we shared, but I already did enough damage to my pocketbook due to those Outsider boys.

I forgot to write in the post for Saturday that Angela got an autograph from Steve Blum.  I know him from Star Wars Rebels and attended the Rebels panel at Star Wars Celebration.  He did a voiceover recording for her that combined 2 shows of which hubby Ryan is a fan.  So cool.  

All that was left was shopping, and we got some mash-up artwork from David Wong.  I also got a pair of Star Wars earring to wear in December.  :)  

Well, that was fun.  It wasn't crazy like San Diego CC, and I'm glad for that.  It kind of eases me into maybe going to another con out here in So Cal.  

Thank you, Ryan and Angela, for the fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment