Sunday, October 25, 2015

Bite Me!

Dallas Comic Con Fan Days
Saturday, October 17, 2015
Irving Convention Center
Irving, TX

Last weekend, I was lucky enough to be treated to a trip to Dallas to visit fellow PellaPusher Angela and join her in attending Dallas Comic Con Fan Days.

We were unable to go to the event on Friday night, so our Con Weekend started on Saturday.  I was disappointed to miss the James Marsters Q&A, but later events made up for it.    We went to dinner at Tio Carlos Mexican Latin Grill.  I enjoyed my mango margarita, as well as the Brisket Enchiladas.

Mmmm...mango.


Autographs from James Marsters  
Angela and I used our VIP passes to get to the front of the line to see JM.  She had a cool Vampire Spike toy for him to sign, and she also bought one of his photos.  The volunteer was really cool and helped us figure out which ones to choose, and also told us that JM would have cool stories about the photos we chose.  I don't think that JM ever told me the story about mine.  He asked me where I got my Sunnydale HS Slayers Club shirt.  I told him that a friend gave it to me.  THANKS, DODIE!!!  He said that he loves seeing new merchandise about Buffy.  I was really happy to meet one of the principal players from my favorite show!  I had also paid for a Selfie with him, and I love this picture.

Getting cozy with James Marsters
 While I waited for Angela to talk to JM, Michael Rooker bumped into me when he was returning from a Selfie with one of his fans.  He said, "I butt bumped you."  I said, "Let's do that again!" so we did.  Yeah, that was kinda awesome.  JM told Angela that the photographer told him to do a pirouette or something while he was wearing his awesome black leather coat.  JM told the photographer that Spike would not be dancing like that.  The photographer asked him if he wanted to leave.  JM said yes.  Photographer told him to just spin around.  Then the picture was taken as the coat is open, and it's very, very cool.  He signed both of our pictures "Bite Me!"  Awesome.  While all of this was going on, Rooker saw that my bag had fallen off my shoulder, and put it back on for me.  Sweet.  JM said that he was excited to be sitting next to Michael Rooker because he is a fan himself.  JM was very nice, and we were really happy that his volunteer was not like that of another celebrity, whom was being talked about all around the con about being way too strict and not giving her celebrity time to talk to the fans. 


This is us after meeting JM.  Such happy faces!

Angela just met her dream dude


Like my shirt?


Lunch
OK, the food from the Mad Grill truck was pretty good, but that's not what made lunch one of the highlights of the day.  As we were eating our lunch, a guy nearby was pointing out different cosplay people to his friend.  Somehow, Angela and I got into the conversation because we were helping him when he couldn't remember names.  He wore a Batman hat and jacket.  He was funny.  He called over someone that none of us could figure out by saying very loudly, "HEY!  WOMAN IN WHITE!  GET OVER HERE!  BATMAN IS CALLING YOU!"  It was hilarious.  She approached and he asked her who she was.  She said "Blue Snow".  I don't know why this was her name, as she wasn't wearing any blue, and she had underwear on her face.  Like, the crotch was over her nose, and her eyes were peeking out of the leg holes.  It was bizarre.  But Comic Con gets all kinds of folks, and we weren't there to judge.  We just liked hanging out with Batman.  You know how I am about Batman.  He even took some video with us in the background, and we took pictures with him.  Yup, I didn't take pictures of cosplayers, but I took one with a fellow gawker.  That's the way I roll.

With Batman


Celebrity Q&A: Karate Kid Reunion with Ralph Macchio, William Zabka & Martin Kove
Billy Zabka is funny and still insists that his character was the protagonist and was wronged by Daniel.  He also said that Elisabeth Shue was the only one not to go to fight choreography rehearsals, and she hit him for real plenty of times in the scene at the country club.  Martin Koye: "A lot of guys on that set would have loved to have been hit by Elisabeth Shue."
 They gave us lots of homework to watch:

Celebrity Q&A: John Rhys-Davies
JRD didn't want to sit down, so the interviewer (huge Indy fan, dressed in Indy vest) and he stayed standing, and actually, JRD paced the stage a lot while he spoke.  JRD said that while filming Raiders, Steven Spielberg did not eat the food with the rest of the cast and crew; he had his own food brought in.  Consequently, he was the only one not to get sick on that day that they filmed Indy shooting the sword fighter.  Somebody asked about "Sliders", a show that I loved back in the day, at least for the first few seasons.  The fan asked what dimension JRD would like to return to.  JRD first said that Sliders could be on the air today because the premise of different dimensions is so good; then he talked about the disappointing writing that became rehashes of movies instead of being creative and original.  I like that he says it like it is.  I miss "Sliders", but I would want to see the original cast.  JRD talked about getting his thumb cut off during "Lord of the Rings", and pranking Peter Jackson thanks to the prop department making him a prosthetic thumb.  For some reason, JRD doesn't think that he was a very good tree, but I think most people would disagree with that.  He currently has plenty of voiceover projects upcoming for video games.

Picture time!
I purchased a photo for the Outsiders Team Up:  C Thomas Howell and Ralph Macchio.  The event organizers don't give you much time to talk, as the photographers just take a picture and call for the next person in line.  The only time they'll take another picture is if someone has their eyes closed, so you have to be quick and not mess up your dang picture.  I got up there, looked at Ralph, and said, "OHMIGOSH!"  He repeated it back to me, and we all took our picture.  I said, "Thank you!" and went on my way.  Angela had her picture taken with James Marsters.  Have I told you how much Angela LOVES JM?  :)

With Ponyboy and Johnny

We had dinner at The Ranch and I had a Pumpkin Martini.  It was yummilicious.  I could hardly taste the alcohol, and wanted to have 3 of them, but I did feel it after just one, so I didn't have anymore.  The ribs were fall-off-the-bone delicious, and the Cadi-Mac'n Chz had a nice kick to it. We ordered banana fried pie and a pecan pie for dessert.  I loved my banana fried pie.  The pecan pie was also good: it had a cinnamon roll crust and Henry's vanilla bean ice cream with a bourbon anglaise.  

Mmmm...pumpkin.

Next up:  Sunday at the Con




1 comment: