Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Sing-Off 2014

The Sing-Off Holiday Special
Wednesday, December 17, 2014

The Sing-Off is back!  Yay!  But it's only for one night.  Boo.  So if you have one bad night, and it's this one, you're screwed?  That sucks.  

Judges:  Shawn Stockman, Jewel, and Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy

Group Number:  Kids in America

I wish I could have been at the Dolby to watch this.  Shawn has 4 seasons of judging under his belt.  So is technically a "season"?  

Each group will perform their signature song for the first round.

Timothy's Gift: Ghost by Ella Henderson
They're 6 women from Nashville, and met in church.  They sing in maximum security prisons to inspire hope.  Well, that's so nice!  And scary.  

Nice harmonies!  I did not like that solo high note AT ALL.  Blech.

a.squared: Pompeii  by Bastille
They use electronics onstage and loop their sound.  They're from Yale.  OK, I gave it a shot for about 10 notes, and I don't like the electronic thing, probably because it sounds like electronica, and I'm not into that.  I guess I'm not into people trying to be a bigger group than they are through artificial means.  I'm a purist, I know. I agree with Shawn about not hearing enough of the guys against the electronics.  Patrick, EVERYONE has to know what they're doing in a traditional a cappella group, too.  Do you think that they can just sit back and relax and let the others carry them?  I guess I'm irritated by the noise.

Traces: River Deep, Mountain High by Tina Turner
They're from New York City, and have a gospel background.  5 of them, including percussion, and they're all female!  Cool.  Also, they have a nice low sound.  I dig them.

The Exchange: Love Runs Out by One Republic
They all met on "The Sing-Off" when they were in different groups.  Oh, that's why they look familiar!  Another group of 5.  One Direction wishes they had such a full sound as this.  Nice! 

SanFran6: Break Free by Arianna Grande featuring Zedd
Another group of a cappella all-stars, and Pinoy Nation is represented again.  YAY!   It's their 1st time performing on stage as a group.  Yikes.  They sound good!  Great lead vocal, and I like the breakdown by the guys.  Ooh, Filharmoic is in the audience!

Melodores: Trumpets by Jason Derullo
Cool.  Ted will be in "Pitch Perfect 2".  Jealous! They're from Vanderbilt University.  Dude, his voice is high!  As always, the collegiate group is the most fun to watch.  

Special Guests: Pentatonix -- Christmas medley
They're just all kinds of awesome.  

Finalists
The Exchange
Traces
Melodores

I'd be sadder if I had watched these other guys over several weeks, but I'm still sad to see them go.

2nd round is Judges Choice.

Traces: I'm Every Woman by Chaka Khan
I liked their performance, but their harmonies should have been tighter.  

The Exchange: Sing by Ed Sheeran
That was very cool.  They hit that nail totally on the head.

Melodores: Take Me To Church by Hozier
Nice lead vocal, Dan!

Special Guests:
Home Free and Judges with Nick: Stand By Me by Ben E. King
I would have liked to just hear Home Free, but here we are, cramming every Sing-Off experience into one night.  Also, I'd rather hear Home Free do their country thing.  I ask for too much, don't I?

Final Results
Melodores fulfilled their wish of becoming the first collegiate group to win the Sing-Off.

Congratulations!

Next year, can we please have a full season, NBC?

No comments:

Post a Comment