Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Mine! Mine! Mine!

Last week, I met up with Linda at the AMC at Westfield Santa Anita to watch the TCM Event Series showing of Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds", presented by Fathom Events.  Thanks to technology, I actually made it there in time, because Linda had sent me a text message saying she was there early.  I had just arrived at home and was about ready to cook dinner, having completely forgotten about our tickets.  So off I went, and on the way, saw that they were still filming at the parking lot of the Santa Anita race track (they're filming "The Lone Ranger" there).  Cue Sherry daydreaming about Johnny Depp.

Anyway, while we were sitting on a bench in the theater lobby, a woman walked by with a stuffed bird on her shoulder.  Funny and creepy at the same time.  I've seen "The Birds" many times on my TV.  Anyone that knows what has happened around my house lately with the fauna probably wonders how I'm brave enough to watch this movie at present.  But I do like this movie a lot, so there you go.

  • Before the film itself, Robert Osborne had clips of interviews with Tippi Hedrien, Suzanne Pleshette and Rod Taylor.  I was digging Tippi's cool birds broach, then she mentioned that Hitchcock gave it to her when he told her she'd be starring in this movie.
  • I like seeing all of the Bodega Bay scenes, remembering when I went there on the Girls Trip to Napa.
  • The restoration of the film is beautiful.  I wish I had money for the Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection on Blu-Ray.
  • Do you know that in the attic scene, prop guys were actually throwing real gulls at Tippi?  She was not warned that this would happen.  Yikes!  I watched that scene and cringed.  She was really shaken up after that, as most people would be.
  • When Melanie (Tippi's character) was playing her joke on Mitch, I felt like her antics were pretty much like a stalker.  So I called her Stalker for the rest of the movie.  Linda agreed and did the same thing.
  • That shot of the first bird attacking Melanie was done in one take.
  • There were several moments where I was really tense, but didn't realize it until the scene would be over, and I had to shake out my hands from all of the clenching.
  • All of the seagulls made me think of the gulls in "Finding Nemo" (see title of post).
  • Dude, that woman would have thought that I was evil too, what with the hawks hanging out at my house.
  • You know what's REALLY creepy about this movie?  NO MUSICAL SCORE.  Just silence.  And birds tweeting.
  • So, really now.  WHY the heck were all of the birds attacking the people?!?!  Eerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment