Saturday, September 8, 2012

Couch Couple

Last night, Linda and I watched "Hope Springs", starring Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones and Steve Carell.  The other movies opening this weekend didn't look as appealing to both of us.  As usual, when we have time before a movie starts at the theater we frequent, we also browse around the toy store next door, The Dollmakers' Kattywompus.  I like the store because it has all kinds of different things that are not always found in the big chain toy stores.  We met their new dog, Tutti Frutti, and I bought a couple of items for gifts.  I refrained from getting myself a hippo, though.  Anyway, on to the thought bullets!

  • First shot of the movie is of Meryl Streep getting pretty for her husband.  Too bad her husband is not in the mood.  It was heartbreaking to see her get rejected.
  • Oh, Tommy Lee Jones.  You're so good at not showing emotion, and then showing it,and then hiding it.
  • But he must love her, or he wouldn't have gone to Maine to try to make her happy, right?  Sweet.  
  • Steve Carell is not funny in this movie.  This is not an accident.  Yet I still love him, partly because he's so very good at acting in scenes with uncomfortable situations.
  • Oh, and how uncomfortable were those therapy sessions were?  Quite uncomfy.  Especially the parts where they were asked to talk about their sex life.
  • Great way of showing the different phases of the intimacy by the juxtaposition of Kay and Arnold on the therapy couch.
  • At many times during the therapy sessions, I looked at the movie from a therapist's point of view.  So this is what I would have been doing had I not gone a different way in life.  It would have been difficult to deal with a client like Arnold, but I hope that I would have handled it as well as Dr. Bernie.
  • During the scene in the grocery store, Kay picks up a tube of cookie dough.  S: "Girl, that's too big!"  
  • I had a weird Men in Black moment when Arnold said Kay's name.  Isn't that HIS name?  
  • That nose that they broke looked like a model of Carell's nose.
Sweet movie.  I hope that when I get lucky enough to be married that long, my husband (whomever he is) and I don't have these problems.  But if we do, I hope that we find a therapist like Dr. Bernie.  




No comments:

Post a Comment