Monday, July 16, 2012

Puddles of Goo

Western Corps Connection
Sunday, July 1, 2012
Riverside Community College - Wheelock Stadium

Our day started with yummy sourdough french toast a la Sherry, and then Bro, V and I went to Jenn's place to celebrate her birthday.  Afterward, we returned to my house to relax for a bit before making the trek out to Riverside.  Rudy and Jeff were running late, so I left their tickets for them at will call, and took my seat.  Bro and V were worried that I'd be unhappy with some of the shows that I was about to see, but I wanted to see them all at least once.

The Star-spangled Banner was played by the trumpet line of the Yamato Youth Band.

Tonight's judges were using Sony Digital recorders, which are the official recorders of DCI.  I had never heard that announcement before, so here's a plug for Sony, too.  My friend Mike called to ask if I had any extra tickets because his friends didn't pre-order their tickets, and the event was sold out.  I advised that I saw that tickets were still being sold, which were for the area in front of the stands (on the track) and for the seats in the backfield.  They really need to update the seating for this stadium...or find another venue.  The event is just too big for its britches now.

SO CAL DREAM
Repertoire: "To Boldly Go" -- Enterprising Young Men by M. Giacchino, Generations by D. McCarthy, Captain Kirk/Spock Fight Music by G. Fried, First Contact by J. Goldsmith, Theme from "The Inner Light" by J. Chattaway, Battle in the Mutara Nebula by J. Horner

The gals behind me had never been to an actual drum corps show before, but they do march in their high school band.  When SCD took the field, one of the gals saw how few members were there and said, "How are they even a corps?"  Girl, it's not the number of members.  It's the style of their performance.  Then she saw that they weren't all wearing the same colors and commented on that, so I showed them my program to let them know that they were probably dressed as characters in Star Trek.  Then they understood.  They were also concerned about the flimsy platform upon which the drum major was standing.  It was a windy day on the field, which did not help the color guard manipulate their flags.  The second drum major almost fell on his face when he jumped off the platform.  I don't know if anyone else noticed that, because I may have been the only one that gasped.  I like the blue/aqua/purple flag.  Nice euphonium solo.  They had a cool effect of rubbing their mallets against the drum skin instead of hitting it.  The drum major did a Vulcan salute at the end.

I was surprised that Ryan T was also doing the announcing for tonight's show, since he doesn't usually do both in one weekend.  Bro and I had to convince V that this announcer would be better than the one that doesn't know anything.  It's really the airgrams that are annoying.  My favorite of the night was this one: "To the announcer from the anonymous photographer ... because I know how you love to read airgrams all night long."  We saw the photographer laughing and pointing up at the booth.

VELVET KNIGHTS
Repertoire: "Moving Forward" -- Short Ride in a Fast Machine by J. Adams, Road to Chicago by T. Newman, 1000 Airplanes on the Roof by P. Glass

VK Walk Sign
The corps is wearing a more traditional uniform now, except for the hats.  The CG wears a very BRIGHT yellow.  The walking man on the street lamp has red shoes and a red hat, just like the corps.  The bells from a nearby church chimed exactly at the beginning, making a perfect intro to Short Ride.  SCV did this show in 2001, so we know this piece quite well.  Their speakers had static at the beginning, which further annoyed those of us whom are not that thrilled with amps anyway.  They use a synthesizer to make the sound of footsteps.  Can someone please tell me why they couldn't use a drum to do that?  I don't think the show was done yet, because it ended quite abruptly.


IMPULSE
Repertoire: "Overture" -- American Overture by J. W. Jenkins, Cuban Overture by G. Gershwin, 1712 Overture by PDQ Bach

Ah, so this is why it's not the 1812 overture!!!  It's a parody by PDQ!  Got it.  This CG has mismatched legs, like the Mandarins.  The DM wears a tux with tails to match the theme of the show.  Oh, those are corsets, like from the classical era.  The synthesizer played the part of the organ before the final push at the end.  I get the gimmick (Bach), but whatevs.  The corps couldn't play that?  Nice drum feature, and good sound from the horns.


GOLD
Repertoire: "Different" -- Different by S. Director (Gold's brass designer)

The entire corps strips down to white shirts, which makes V think that she's looking at longjohns.  Why do you need a piano?  You have marimbas already.  Why did the first soloist need a microphone, but the second one didn't?  Was it the same person?  I'm confused.  They have a nice sound. 


CITY SOUND
Repertoire: "Sounds of Miami" -- music not listed

Instead of a mini-skirt this year, the DM wears a sequined red dress and long white gloves.  What is it with their drum majors' uniforms?  By this time, Jeff and Rudy had joined us.  Jeff said, "You can still be a drag queen and be a drum major."  OMG, please, please, please work on your INTONATION!!!  The low brass ensemble was OK, but the rest really needs rehearsal time.  Their flags have holes in them, but that's on purpose.  Also, they are not in rhythm.  This is a Miami show, people.  The rhythm is gonna get you.  I'm just saying.  You're right, Bro and V.  I can't unlisten to or unsee that now.  What a letdown to lead into intermission.  


Intermission


MANDARINS
Well, V and I were trying to remember who had the flags with the A on them.  We thought that maybe it was the Mandarins.  APPARENTLY not.  The corps needs to be more in synch with the dance moves after the chant, while the battery is playing.

Mandarins Chant Corps

PACIFIC CREST
Love the dynamics!  Beautiful music, and the soloist was spot on!  The CG also did a great job.  Rudy is already crying.  Can't wait to see what happens with Phregiment.

Yellow!


ACADEMY
They have a different ending.  Now the drummers surround the field at the end.  I love all of the hand drum snaps.  They got a big reaction from the crowd during the bass drum trick (it's actually the tenors who take off their own drums, and put on more bass drums).  I love their purple cravats.
Now, spin!


PHREGIMENT
Gorgeous!  Rudy is a puddle of goo.  Tears were still streaming down his face after the standing ovation.   I missed the beheading again.  I really need to just watch the backfield for the entire first act, so that I don't miss it.  
Phregiment Drum Major Salute


SCV
YEAH!!!  I got the Vanguard yell down.  Before the show started, members of the CG pointed at the sky.   Rifles did a great job.  I can see the Fiedler influence in the drill during Mars.  
SCV Cymbals & Snares


BD
Heaven help me, but this show is actually growing on me.  Do you think that Lady Gaga based her image on Dada?  Because she does artsy things that don't make sense to me.  They even have a crazy instrument which they hit to make some type of metal-thumping noise.  What's with the hands on a tray?  I still don't like all of the talking, though.  It needs to stop.  We found the "A" flags!  They're here, with each of the flags saying "Dada".

BD Contraption


ENCORE -- SANTA CLARA VANGUARD

Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again -- got my eyes all watery.
Excerpt from the 2012 show
Pit solo
Send In The Clowns -- Before starting, Justin the DM touched his fist to his chest, and my eyes got all watery again.  We all knew what was coming.  He felt every single note of that song and we felt them along with him.  He conducted with a great deal of emotion, and it drove me to tears.  Sniff!  Thank you, Justin.  Bro liked it even more than Michael's conducting at Finals in 1999, when they won.  Rudy was concentrating on the technical stuff and didn't feel what we felt.  But to me, it was the artistry and the emotion with which it was done.  I am really looking forward to reunion night at Finals.

SCV Big Horns and Little Horns

SCORES

All-Age
55.25 So Cal Dream

Open Class
4) 51.05 City Sound
3) 55.05 VK
2) 60.45 Impulse
1) 67.75 Gold

World Class
6) 62.6 Mandarins
5) 65.1 PC
4) 66.2 Academy
3) 75.3 SCV
2) 77.4 Phregiment
1) 80.25 BD

I bought a Starry Night t-shirt afterward and a set of mini-buttons, and we got 2 cotton candies for a total of 87 cents, since that was all the change I had available, and the kid needed to get rid of it. Yay for us!


1 comment:

  1. Phantom was my favorite show of the night. I've never traveled for a Corps show, so it's such a treat getting to see them on the West Coast.

    I also didn't like the pre-recorded voices in the BD show. But I am a Drum Corps curmudgeon who can't stand all the electronics in the Pit.

    Just Brass, Percussion and Visual, please. You can leave the Extension Cords at home.

    ReplyDelete