Saturday, February 25, 2012

Quelle heure est-il?

I was going to see "Midnight in Paris" in the theater, but just figured I might as well rent the DVD from Redbox on this one, too, since it would be cheaper and the viewing time would be much more flexible.

  • I haven't seen a lot of Woody Allen movies, so I didn't really have any preconceived notions about seeing this film, which is a good thing.  At first, I didn't get it, then the clock struck 12, and I said aloud, "Ohhh."
  • Well, of course Owen Wilson plays a screenwriter. It's a Woody Allen movie!  I do know that he likes to write about writers.
  • "I see...a rhinoceros."  I heart Adrien Brody.
  • I loved the scenery.  I want to go to Paris and walk in the rain at night.
  • Oh, dude, I was annoyed by the annoying Paul practically immediately.  I don't know how any of the characters could stand to listen to him at all.  I know he was written to be that way, and I'm glad that I don't have to hang out with anyone like that.  I usually like Michael Sheen, so this is some good acting (and makeup) where I didn't even recognize him.
  • I liked hearing the Cole Porter tunes integrated in the score.
  • I don't know much about art history or literature, really, but I smiled whenever I figure out who each famous person was. The other ones just flew over my head.
  • Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein: awesome.
  • Totally loved Corey Stoll as Hemingway.  Spot on how I thought Hemingway actually acted.
  • "What is it with this city?  I need to write a letter to the Chamber of Commerce."
I enjoyed this movie (pssst....it involves time travel, how could I not?).  It also has Salvador Dali being surreal.  I would totally see this again, probably several times.

All nine of the Oscar Best Picture nominees have been viewed.  I'm looking forward to the ceremony.

No comments:

Post a Comment