Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Sadness in Paradise

I had some time to kill between work and rehearsal a week or two ago, so I saw "The Descendants". 



  • Probably not a good idea to see such a weepy movie prior to singing.  Yes, I cried.  I do that a lot during movies, but there were a LOT of tears with this one.  I mean, hello, it's about a guy dealing with the fact that his wife is dying.
  • Oh, George Clooney.  You're getting even more handsome as you age.  Thank you for continuing to do quality work like this so that I can be happy to keep watching you.
  • It's difficult to walk fast or even try to jog in flip flops.  This is exemplified here, and it amused me.
  • Shailene Woodley does an excellent job here as the rebellious older daughter.  Then we get to find out why she's being so rebellious, and it drives the plot further, which is great.
  • Amara Miller cracked me up as the younger daughter.  She just says stuff without any filter because she's rebellious, too, yet I still felt a lot of sympathy for her.
  • Nick Krause was hilarious, too, and I loved his interactions with Clooney, especially the night in the hotel room when Clooney couldn't sleep.
  • Whoa, Beau Bridges.  Please do not ever grow your hair out like that again.  Yikes!
  • I liked how the plot of Matt (Clooney) dealing with his wife's coma played out against the other plot of him making a decision regarding his family's land.  It's that whole concept of "letting go" that interested me.
  • Lucky Judy Greer.  She gets this great role AND she gets kissed by the guy in the flip flops. Sigh.
  • I think that I need to read this book.  I'll probably need a box of tissues for that, too.
  • I really want to go to Kauai.  I was looking at some of those scenes and wondered if the Smoke Monster was there, though.  
Great movie.  Just remember to be prepared for crying when you see it. Especially that scene toward the end with Clooney talking to his wife.  Oh, I'm tearing up again.


No comments:

Post a Comment