Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom

Today is my mom's (ahem)th birthday.  Not that she won't tell you her age, but just in case she doesn't want it posted on the 'net, I'll keep that to myself for now.


Anyway, there was a time when I worried that I wouldn't have her around by now, due to her being diagnosed with lung cancer.  Thankfully, she was one of those patients that marveled doctors with her resilience and her treatment went quite well.  She just told me last week that she doesn't have to see the oncologist for 6 months, showing that the doctors are confident about her health at this point.  But back then, it was scary for all of us.   I mean, that's my MOM, you know?  After all of the years that she worked for places dedicated to cancer research and treatment, she was on the other side of the laboratory. 


This past year, I've been growing my hair very long, in plans to donate it through Pantene's Beautiful Lengths.  Unlike other organizations that focus on children, this one focuses on free wigs for adult men and women.  You know me, I just need to be different from all of the other people that I know that have generously donated their hair.  Some of them have done it twice, these generous people that I know.  (Love you, V!)


So I called up my hairdresser and she asked where I'd been.  I told her about the donation, and she was excited that she'd get to cut my hair off.  I picked this very date on purpose, as this gesture is a dedication to my wonderful mother.  She lost her hair, wore a wig (except when the weather was too warm because it made her head too hot), wore a head scarf, and has subsequently given a family friend her paraphernalia and advice when she was recently diagnosed.  She's had a full head of hair for quite a while now, so she doesn't need it for herself, but I hope that some other woman like my mom can use it.  Besides, Mom often used to tell me to cut my hair.  I think she just kept having flashbacks of taking tangles out of my hair as a child, but whatever. 


Happy Birthday, Mom.  I'm proud of your strength, your courage, and your optimism.  If I could be even half of what you always are when faced with adversity, I'd be an honorable woman, indeed.  I love you.



Sher's Back Before



Sher's Front After
(and her 14 inches of hair donation)

1 comment:

  1. I love your haircut! I'm so proud of you and honored to call you my friend. Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete