Saturday, April 9, 2011

Use the Source, Jake

I had a bunch of extra time before meeting up with my friends for a birthday dinner at Umami Burger (which was quite yummy, BTW), so I went to the Arclight to watch "Source Code".



  • I still mix up Jake Gyllenhall with Tobey Maguire, so at one point, I thought that Spider-man had died.
  • The last movie that I saw with Vera Farmiga in it was "Up In The Air".  So when she was asked if she was married, I thought, "Yes, but she's having an affair with a guy that fires people."  Clearly, I need to separate actors from their characters more than I do.
  • I love that the bomber's ID shows that he lives on Hemlock Avenue.
  • So do you think that bad people that watch this movie are now thinking of taking the handgun from the official train compartment, and that they're bringing big flashlights to break the lock?
  • I've decided that I'm good at deciphering big city skylines/aerial shots.  I figured out that it was Chicago because I couldn't think of another major American city with all of the water going through it.  Those were spectacular shots, BTW.
  • I liked the sci-fi aspect of this film.  I wonder if it would actually be possible to trigger a person's memories from their brain after their death.  But wait.  How did they get Sean's memories?  Wouldn't he have blown up beyond recognition? OK, I'm being morbid now.
  • I also liked the "Groundhog Day"-like reactions that he had, especially near the end, when he avoided the soda and handed over his ticket.
  • I wanted Jeffrey Wright to say that he knows what it's like to be in the military, and that's why he uses a crutch.  But he didn't.
  • Totally bawled at that ending.
  • "Quantum Leap"'s Scott Bakula as a major voice in this particular film?  PERFECTION.
I enjoyed this movie, and am now thinking, "What would I do if I knew that I only had 8 minutes to live?"  Probably do an end-of-life blog (if I was at a computer with internet access), thanking everyone for being a part of my life, with a little prayer at the end. 

4 comments:

  1. So do Jake and Tobey fall into the "white guys who can't be differentiated" list? :)

    I absolutely LOVED this movie. We want to see it again to catch all the little subtleties now that we know what's actually going on.

    Did you recognize Scott Bakula's voice when you heard it? I didn't. I didn't know until I saw his credit.

    There's no way to have accomplished it for me, but I would have loved to have seen this movie knowing absolutely nothing about it, so that I could be totally in the same situation as the lead character. Those first scenes would have been an even better experience if I knew as little about the situation as he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The husband reminded me that Jake and Tobey were in a movie together - "Brothers". Natalie Portman is the female lead. Don't know if you've seen it, but it was really good, though *very* intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do remember that movie, but never saw it. I also remember wondering how confused I'd get if I watched it. Maybe I'll catch it on HBO someday so I can test that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I didn't know that it was Bakula's voice until I saw the credit.

    ReplyDelete