Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Laugh, Don't Cry

Oscar Noir: Week 3
Laura
Monday, May 24, 2010

I killed some time after work by doing a couple of errands and picking up some dinner and after-show food before driving down to Beverly Hills.  I arrived at the parking structure and they told me that I couldn't park there until 6:30 p.m., unless I wanted to pay for 30 minutes.  Since I had seen one of the valets drive a van into a pole, I decided to leave.  I went to the other parking lot instead, which let me in even though I had 2 minutes until 6:00 p.m.  I stood in line for a few minutes before Liz got there and I was happy to see that she had an extra sweater for me, because it was chilly out there in that line!  She found seats for us in the center section, and I conversed with a guy wearing a Lakers t-shirt.  Liz informed me that she had just watched "Laura" again the other day because she loves it so much, full well knowing that she'd be here tonight.   Louise Currie of the Captain Marvel series was again in the audience, looking glamorous.  

Short:  "Adventures of Captain Marvel, Chapter Two:  The Guillotine" (1941)
Everyone in the car survived the car going off of the bridge, because it fell into the water, and Captain Marvel jumped down to save them.  The cliffhanger this week was that Captain Marvel was hit with an electric shock, and is on a conveyer belt, which has a guillotine at the other end.  Who will save him?  It's got to be someone, right?  There are several more of these in the series!

Cartoon:  "Flora" (1948)
It's like Film Noir, but with a dog all upset about a cat!  Why are all of the cartoon Siamese cats so mean?  I mean, she made the dog suicidal, for goodness' sake.  Meanie.

Feature Attraction:  "Laura" (1944) Screenplay by Jay Dratler, Samuel Hoffenstein, Betty Reinhardt, based on the novel by Vera Caspary, directed by Otto Preminger, and starring Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price and Judith Anderson.
  • Another special guest in the audience was Cara Williams, nominated for an Oscar for her role in "The Defiant Ones", and was in the scene in Laura's office as the secretary who is listening to Waldo ask Laura to dinner.  
  • The film was introduced by Scott Frank, writer for "Dead Again" and "Marley and Me".  He didn't give spoilers, for which he received applause, and I was happy.  He defended Dana Andrews' work and told us to watch for Mr. Andrews' facial expressions in different scenes.
  • The makeup artist was Guy Pearce.  But isn't that the guy in "L.A. Confidential" and "Memento"?  Wow, he's been around a long time. ;)
  • Clifton Webb is hilarious.  I kept looking forward to the next scene that he'd steal every time he wasn't in one.
  • I wish my hair could do what Gene Tierney's did.
  • I did like the looks that McPherson gave to people, especially the look of disdain he gave to all of the suspects.
  • I needed a few minutes to get over Vincent Price's voice not saying something haunting, or laughing maniacally.
  • Favorite line:  " In my case, self-absorption is completely justified. I have never discovered any other subject quite so worthy of my attention." -- Waldo
  • Close second:  "I don't use a pen. I write with a goose quill dipped in venom." -- Waldo  (He had all of the great lines).
  • For a moment there, I thought that McPherson was having a dream sequence.  It's the soap opera fan in me, I guess.
I really enjoyed this movie.  This is what I think of when I hear the term "Film Noir": murder, mystery, and witty dialogue.  You gotta love it.

Next up: "Double Indemnity".

No comments:

Post a Comment