Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Little Bit of Football on Super Bowl Sunday

I'm not a big NFL fan, so instead of watching the Super Bowl, I opted to make a movie day for myself.  I kept in the spirit of the day, though, and chose "The Blind Side" as one of the movies.



  • I've always liked Sandra Bullock, though I don't enjoy every single one of her movies.  This one has gone right up there as one of my favorite Sandy movies.  I'm glad that she took up the challenge for this part, as she's done a great job with it.
  • Having been one of the lucky people in the world that doesn't know what it's like to live in the projects, I'm always amazed by the people that are able to succeed despite the time that they live there.  It's interesting to me that Mr. Oher went through all of the foster homes and just kept trying to stay in places that were away from his original home.  That is, at least between the times that he needed to be with his mother.
  • I was moved by Michael's mother wanting the best for him, even though she hadn't been able to give any of that to him  herself.  She had plenty of kids, and a drug habit, but, at least in the movie, she didn't want him to see or hear anything that was bad for him.  She'd rather that he stayed away.  Understandable, and totally opposite of the mother in "Precious".  
  • I'm an idiot, and didn't recognize Tim McGraw without his beard and cowboy hat.  I knew from the opening credits that he was in the movie, but by the end of the film, I thought, "Where was he in the movie?"  Duh, Sherry.  He played Sean, the dad.  
  • One of my favorite lines of the movie was Sean Touhy saying, "Who would have thought that we'd have a black son before meeting a Democrat?"  Kathy Bates, the Democrat, was awesome as usual.
  • I really enjoyed the scenes with the recruiters coming to the Touhy home, mainly because I liked seeing what they had to offer to SJ as part of their promise to Michael.
  • Actually, I pretty much loved all the scenes that featured SJ.  Jae Head was hilarious.
  • I liked the sweet sibling relationship that developed between Michael and Collins.  She could have been one of those rich girls that shunned her very different family, as other movies portray.  Yet she was just like the rest of the Tuohys: accepting of Michael as a family member, and not really caring about what the other girls thought.
  • I like how Leigh Ann Tuohy never wanted anyone to see her get emotional, so she would just walk away whenever it seemed like tears were surfacing.  So I cried *for* her, naturally.
  • This is a movie more about family than anything, which is probably why I liked it so much.  I like sports movies, too, and this movie was a nice blend of both for me.
Watching the movie was a great way to celebrate Super Bowl Sunday...and the Saints won!  That's me!  And they have a fleur-de-lis as their helmet symbol!  But I wouldn't have been disappointed if the Colts had won, since they have a nice,albeit concessions-challenged, stadium. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment