Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Living it Up in LANcastuh

Rockapella in Lancaster
Friday, September 12, 2008
Lancaster Performing Arts Center

Well, everyone, my trip reports are back. I decided that the website needs to be completely overhauled, and that will take a lot of time, so I'm doing these here on the blog until then. Sorry to those of you that enjoyed the short version. Perhaps those will return after the site gets back to normal, as a preview to the actual reports. On with the report, oh joy for those of you that have missed them, and for me that's missed writing them.
********************************************************

I was able to get the afternoon off of work, so Karla (KP) met up with me in front of my office building, thanks to a drop-off from Wanda. We mused about where the heck we were going to change clothes for the show during our ride up to Lancaster: some random hotel where we'd say we were waiting for our husbands with the credit cards; Target; McDonald's et al. KP had brought her GPS, who proceeded to tell us to get on the 405 toward SacramentA. Her GPS doesn't know the "O" sound at the end of words. The GPS also had a sort of British way of saying "LANcastuh."

We decided to check out the venue first, and figure out our route from our dinner site. The GPS somehow turned 750 West Lancaster Blvd into 750 EAST Lancaster Blvd, and we ended up at Joshua Memorial Park and Mortuary. It's good that we'd already been to the venue before today, or we'd be like, "I thought the outdoor venue was tomorrow?" So we turned around and found our way to the LPAC. I wanted to walk around a bit, so we went to the box office to see if they would be opening up apron seating. The snooty man corrected me and called it "Pit Seating," and said that no, they wouldn't be available tonight. I would have asked him more questions, like "Can we change our clothes here?" but I did not appreciate his attitude. I mean, hello, it's not like you work at the MET, dude. You're in a podunk little town with no rhythm. I guess the guys hadn't arrived yet, so we had nobody to follow around, and left.

We made our way to Target (now a KP and Sher tradition, apparently), used their facilities, and went to Payless on a whim. KP ended up buying shoes (I'm a bad influence), but at least they were on sale, while mine were full-price, and I didn't think I really needed them, but they came in handy later, because they were flats and sneaker-like. We also saw that there was a nail place in the same strip mall, so we entered the establishment, called "Fancy Nails," ASKED how much the manicure cost, and proceeded to get cute manicures (with designs on our ring fingers!) for ourselves. My manicurist, Lee, asked if we worked together and couldn't believe how talkative and happy we were. I told her that it's BECAUSE we weren't talking about work, and we were going to a show later. I tried to get her to go to the show, but whatever. She wanted us to come back to get pedicures, but I told her that we live too far to go there just for pedis. After our nails were dry, we went to Waldenbooks, also in the same strip mall. KP ended up getting a book because she had forgotten hers, and I made a mental note of an interesting book for myself for later. We did go back to Target for KP to buy something, and she rambled to the cashier dude about ... something I can't remember.

We then drove around to find the place where we'd be dining: The Wing Spot. This wing place is co-owned by one of my managers at work, and I'd tasted some of their stuff before when she brought it to work, so I wanted to go out and actually try out other menu items. We couldn't find it at first, and then realized that they had just recently changed their name to "Wing Supreme." This is apparently because people were calling their place and complaining about "their other store," and it wasn't even theirs! We contacted our friends to give them the update, and then did a little more shopping. We went into a candle shop and bought each other Fleur-de-Lis purse hangers. We're now officially old ladies, who have the love of the FdL in common. I found other stuff I wanted to buy, but refrained. We also went into the Bead Shop next door and didn't find anything interesting enough to create.

We then went into the Wing Spot, changed our clothes in the restroom, and ordered something to munch on while we were waiting for our friends. Thanks to the Wing Spot for nice, clean bathrooms! Liz, Jordan and Joe had arrived while I was changing, and Wendy and Jeff joined us later. We all enjoyed our wings (Spicy Teriyaki was quite spicy and I thought my lips were swollen from the hotness; Lemon Pepper seemed to be very popular as well). I also enjoyed the sweet potato fries, as well as the fried green beans. Since I had already tasted their peach cobbler prior to today, I just HAD to have some, and shared some of that with Wendy. Unfortunately, they didn't have any sweet potato pie to make Liz happy. Joe told me that "Josie and the Pussycats" made Jordan dislike all teenybopper musicians because they're only in it for the money. Miley Cyrus is therefore "evil." A jazz band was going to play that night, but we had our own show to attend.

We went back to the LPAC, and Hank and Sharyn were outside waiting for us. Hank went to the box office window and found out that there were still 2 seats in the front row, so KP and I went to exchange ours for those, but they wouldn't do it. Whatever. They did say "No Exchanges," but this is for the same darn show! Besides, they hadn't given me as-close-as-possible when I called and asked for that specifically. Whatever. KP found out that the seats were on the rhythm section side, so we paid for more tickets. We're nuts, but that's why I love us. Besides, it allowed Liz to sit with Jeff and Wendy instead of by herself.

We spied Fred and KP was happy.

Tonight: Scott, who introduced himself as "Scott Schwarzenegger," was wearing a gray suit with a lavender shirt, and Geo was also wearing a lavender shirt. Very nice. John had a goatee and was wearing an off-white tunic, which made KP think that he was playing "Genie" in "Aladdin." Kevin was wearing some kind of beige coat over his black outfit. I wasn't sure that it matched. Jeff wore his same boring black outfit. His shirt had a little red tag on the side, which bugged me all night long, because I could see it from my vantage point, and it was contrasting from the all-black.

4U4Now4Life: Scott came over to us during the song and said, "Hi, ladies!" HI!!!

Scott's home is on the East Coast. "It's so nice out here though in California with the love and the sunshine and Arnold and stuff." (Scott has no idea what Arnold is going through right now with the CA State Budget, I guess, so he had no idea that I was irritated about it). He mentioned the horrible train accident that occurred that afternoon, and said that their hearts were with those people. How thoughtful! He introduced Jeff and his throat mics. Scott: "Oh, that is SO Schwarzenegger!" Then Geo came in with his Geo-ness, and Scott said, "No, THAT'S Schwarzenegger!!"

ZIP: I've always loved the "Hang Tough" move because of the NKOTB thing, but now I love it even more since I'm going to see the NK soon.

Gotta Get You Into My Life: Shake those hips, baby! There was some major Pella Butt action from our vantage point in the corner.

Stand By Me: I love hearing the passion in John's voice during this song.

Use Me: The woman behind me said "WOW!" at JT's VP intro. When Scott shook his booty again toward our direction, I said to KP, "It's like he does that just for us." KP said to me, "Just for YOU!" Aw, thanks, KP. He came over and pointed to KP when singing the lyrics "When you love me, I just can't get enough." NICE!

Kev Ramble Alert: They flew today from Florida to Texas to California, all the while avoiding Hurrican Ike. Kev said that he didn't know if they were going to make it or not, but they flew to Dallas, so they were OK. They've been traveling a lot, and a lot has happened on their other flights. On a recent flight to Germany, a woman passed out as she was walking in the aisle of the plane, and hit her head on Kevin's armrest. Then on another flight (or maybe it was the same one), one dude kept kicking the back of the seat in front of him, so the person in that seat turned around to shoot him a dirty look. The kicker gave him like a "What?!" then said, "Why don't you run and tell your mommy?!" So the kickee pulled the kicker's earphones right out of his head, and was all in his face. So Kevin was, like, OK, HERE's something different in our traveling! So then the stewardess walked up to both of them and said, "We're gonna have to turn this plane around if you fight." So one of the dudes decided to change seats. The guy sitting next to Kevin quickly told him to pretend they were asleep and kinda sprawl onto the empty chair between them, so the guy wouldn't sit there, and it worked. Anyway, so now we're in California, and it's really dry, and I've started to drink more and more water....and water reminds me... (HUGE laugh out of JT at this majorly awkward segue) ... of the beach!

Under the Boardwalk: "Me and my Speedo, oh yes, I remember it well" generated a huge WHOO! from us since he was dancing right in front of us, and it cracked up Kevin. After the song, he said, "Thank you for coming to the beach with me tonight." I said, "Thank you for your Speedo." I don't think he heard me, but KP enjoyed it.

Tell Me What You Want: More Pella Butts: More Better.

California Sad-Eyed Girl: Scott said that it would be sung with the "Florida Golden Throat" of Kevin Wright. He then said that he's not from California, but he needed a place to fit the syllables of his lyrics, and chose "San Bernardino." Then he came to California and learned that "it's not this flowering, beautiful place that was in my mind."

Kevin said that Andrew Lloyd Webber kept him employed many years. Scott: "How come youo're not like Sarah Brightman? She sang in the Beijing Olympics...he probably didn't want to marry you." Kevin: "I don't ... know." Scott: "But you get to come to San Bernardino twice a year!"

Scott told the story of Geo's former group becoming BoyzIIMen, which made us laugh. Kevin said that in California, "you guys laughed, because you GET IT!" Apparently, other audiences just feel sorry for Geo and just say, "awwww."

Scott said that they found JT in L.A. Fred hadn't turned on his mic yet, so the audience couldn't hear his first attempt at stating that he was found "in a box." Then when Fred turned on the mic, he said, "Thanks, Fred," which especially pleased Karla, because it prompted Scott to thank him and tell us all that they were actually all lip-synching.

Kevin said something about Scott singing high notes that only puppy dogs can hear.

Paper Doll: My goodness, I love sitting on this side during this song. Go, George, Go!

Rock the Boat: Scott called his dance "The Lancaster." Geo did his heartbeat thing for Wendy. Or maybe Liz. But it's usually Wendy, so I'm sticking to that.

Jingle Medley: Scott checked out Geo's butt during Prep H. KP could see the outline of JT's nipple, and was thereon distracted.

Long Cool Woman: That was really, REALLY fast! Reminded me of Barry saying that Scott sings it fast because he's anxious. Some butt action toward me because I whoo'd at him when he came over and danced. THANK YOU!!!

My Girl/Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Karen a student of Physical Therapy at CSUN, with boyfriend Michael. When she walked up to the stage, KP and I simultaneously whispered to each other, "She's got fleur-de-lis on her pants/jeans!" which, of course, sent us into giggle fits. Kev asked Karen if she'd been dating Michael a long time. Karen: "Define 'a long time'." Kev: "How old are you?" Karen: "22." Kevin: "Well, at 22, 3 months is long." Kevin had her dance at Michael from the stage during Beg.

People Change: Scott sure held his "Nnnnnnn" long in that one prominent "More than Mine...."

Geo: "I could have been in BoyzIIMen and I'd be rich and sittin' up in a bowling alley somewhere, but I finished school and got my education...It takes a lot of energy to Dmm Dmm for 2 hours every night. Friends ask me, "What do you think about up there?" and I say, "I think about the Dmm Dmmms."

Papa: Awesome drum break, thanks to Scott and JKB with some new stuff. I was grooving to the beat with my neck and Scott saw me, so he did the neck thing with me and smiled widely when I caught him doing so and laughed. He seriously cracks me up.

Carmen: I was excited that we get to say "Do It Rockapella!" for real, because we didn't get to say the right words at ACappellaStock. Both KP and I like Jeff's black sneakers with the white trim.

Encore:
Shambala: Now I'M distracted by the nipple! Scott said that they'd be in Vegas tomorrow, and that we'd all make a road trip. JT informed that it was a free show. Kev: "We'll be back for a holiday show." Scott: "When?" KP: "DECEMBER 21ST!!!, Rancho Cucamonga!" Scott: "Rrrrrancho Cucamonga!!!" Kevin said that it would be their last holiday show of the season." Scott said, "Rrrrrancho Cucamonga" again just to make us laugh even harder. I know this because he looked straight at us and smiled right after he said it.

Up On The Roof/Wonderful World: (off mic) Why are OTHER people singing? WTF?

While the guys were shaking the hands of those of us in the front row, JT pointed at KP and said, "See you later." Hank missed it. I felt invisible.

The meet and greet was scatter-style, which has its good and bad qualities. Good because it's easier to get individual pictures, bad because it's so unorganized and you never know if you'll get to talk to all of the guys.

George got engaged 3 weeks ago to Amber. I said that it was too bad that he doesn't get to show off an engagement ring like she does. He said that he wears a mood ring on his ring finger, so people think he's already married, but it's really just a mood ring. When it's blue, he's happy. One night on stage, it was black, and he freaked out and showed it to John, but apparently it was just the lighting. He said that the traveling has been really tiring, and he wishes that he could just stay in town for a day instead of flying almost every day, so he could rest. He said that he'd disappear during the upcoming break, and turn off his phone. I joked that Amber wouldn't be able to call him, but lucky girl gets to spend the break with him. Sweet. While we were standing around, Jordan noted to me that her dad and Geo look a lot alike. I told her why.

Jeff said that he finally noticed me sitting behind the speaker. I yelled at him for not waving to me, and only to KP. JT said that I was skulking, so he couldn't. SKULKING?! W. Why do I get so mad at him, anyway? It must be that saucy-skulky-thing between us.


I told Fred that I think the guys give shout-outs to him especially when KP is present. KP was mortified.

Kevin said that he rambled about the Germany flight, but I told him that it was hilarious. It apparently did actually happen, and he didn't make it up. He said that he and Scott had red-eye flights after the Vegas show, but they like talking to us, so we should make sure to talk to them right after the show. What a nice thing to say.

I told CSL4 that Bro and I were looking for him when we were in Bloomington for DCI Finals. He said that he wasn't there, but will probably need to go to one of those pretty soon. Jesse will most likely be going to drum corps camp with Carolina Crown. I told him about the drama of Phregiment, and that Crown's show was awesome, too, with all of the finales. I also told him that we went to see XRP, and I told him that I missed him. I said, "I don't know if *they* miss him, but *I* miss him." Scott laughed. Geez, the words that come out of my mouth. I guess I hadn't offended him, though, because he told me that my dress was nice. Ergo all of the pictures posted today, since my outfit won Mr. Leonard' approval.

Hank asked about the nearest Denny's, and someone told him there was one on P street. There wasn't. We tried to go to Applebee's, but they were closed. At 11:00 p.m. on a Friday. Sigh. So we ended up at Chiji's. On the way to P street, it was revealed to me that KP didn't know her alphabet, which prompted a stop at the hospital.

We said our goodbyes and later down the road saw a silver car that had pulled over. Thankfully, it wasn't Hank's car. KP stayed at Chez Sher for the night, so that we could go to the airport together in the morning.

It was nice to see the boys tonight. I had really missed them in the last 7 months. SEVEN! That's way too friggin' long. Let's not do that again, OK? It's nice to see Karla sketching about the concerts again. People now think that we're working too hard during the shows though, since we're always scribbling. Yeah, well at least I'll *remember* stuff!

Next up: VEGAS

4 comments:

  1. aww, what a nice recap. I felt like I was there all over again and now I know during which song i was distracted by the nipple. oh and btw I love Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bummed that I missed this trip with you gals! I'm still kicking myself for forgetting when the show was! I will not miss the Rancho Cucamonga show this year. Thanks for sharing your Rocka-tale! ~aura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten about Scott singing "when you love me I can't get enough" directly to me. How could I forget such a thing? Oh, yeah because JT waved and mouthed "see you later" sigh. Oh and I did talk to Fred. I love Fred

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed that you mortified Karla! But I also loved being able to see the sketch from that night.

    ReplyDelete