Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Early Tastings in Indy

DCI Finals Trip
Travel Day
Wednesday, August 10, 2022

I actually woke up in time to get ready without rushing this morning!  Yay, me!  The Lyft driver picked me up and got me to the airport a good 90 minutes ahead of the flight departed, I had time to get a little something to eat, and the plane took off in time.  That all alleviated my initial anxiety of not having been on an airplane in over two and a half years.  My stopover was in Denver, and I love the way this airport looks.  



My connecting gate was a long walk away, so I decided to get my exercise and didn't use any of the moving walkways.  I had plenty of time, so it was no big deal.  That flight left on time, too, despite the fact that there was an issue with an inflatable car seat that someone had brought on board, and they didn't know how to deflate it.  I arrived in Indianapolis on time, and all was well.  Well, maybe not all.  Bro and V's flight was delayed for 90 minutes out of LAX because their plane was coming from Austin.  The Austin airport had to evacuate folks because there was a water main break and it set off the fire alarm.  I was originally supposed to stop in Austin, so I'm really glad that my flight was changed by Southwest for scheduling purposes.  

Overhead lights on the way to 
Ground Transportation



So I took a Lyft to the hotel on my own, checked in, unpacked, and waited for Bro and V to arrive.  

I took this pic from inside the car



Once they were close by, I went downstairs to let them up the elevator because they didn't have their keys yet.  We were hungry and decided to go to Tastings, because we wouldn't be able to go on our traditional Semifinals day.  Tastings changed their schedule to dinner time only.  It worked out for us because we wouldn't have to worry about being sleepy at the show.  We could also take our time, so that was nice.

They didn't have our traditional filet mignon flatbread anymore, but they did still have our traditional Goat Cheese & Fig Flatbread, as well as Chimmichurri Steak, Fingerling Potatoes with aioli, Ceviche, and Portobello Mushroom Spring Rolls.  Everything was delicious.  OK, I didn't have the ceviche because it had shrimp, but Bro and V really liked it.

Chimmichurri Steak 

Fingerling Potatoes w/ Pesto Aioli

Glad they still have my favorite Goat Cheese & Fig!



Our server had only been working there a week, so we decided to try to help train him, but he was so busy and we were so hungry that we couldn't wait for him to bring us our plates and silverware when the food arrived.  So Bro just asked the guy behind the food counter if he could take the plates that were stacked there.

The bartender was very friendly and talked to us quite a bit.  He said that during COVID, he thought up a drink that had elements that were kind of healthy but not.   It had honey and agave and citrus and some kind of alcohol that I can't remember.  He called it "noname" because it doesn't have a name, but he pronounces it "noh-nah-meh" to make it sound kind of Japanese.  We ordered one, and really liked it.  It reminded Bro and me of a Pisco Sour.

Secret Menu!




Wines we tasted--
1st tasting:
Bro: Field Recordings ‘Fiction’ Zinfandel Blend 2019 / Paso Robles, California*
Sher & V: Slo Jams, Sauvignon Blanc 2021 / Horse Heaven Hills, Washington -- there were notes of cantaloupe, but it wasn't in the description so V didn't expect it.  Bro told her to smell it, and then it was really noticeable.

2nd tasting: 
Bro: Force Celeste Semillon 2020  / Swartland, South Africa
V, Sher & Bro shared Lola Pinot Noir / Napa Valley, California because the card wasn't working and the new server poured the rest of the wine from the bottle because it was almost gone.  But there was a lot in that pour.  We're not complaining!

3rd tasting:
Bro: Field Recordings “Fiction Rose” Grenache 2020  /   Central Coast, California 
Sher: Montaribaldi Moscato d'Asti DOCG, Piedmont, Italy*

Cheers to Indianapolis!



That was a nice way to start our Indianapolis week!  

Next up:  DCI Prelims

No comments:

Post a Comment