Sunday, August 22, 2021

Santa Clara Vanguard 2021 - "Wait For Me"

One more post for the drum corps stuff this year.  


We didn't go to Indianapolis this year, and neither did Vanguard.  But Vanguard did make an appearance via this video, and I finally watched it tonight.  



Thoughts from my initial viewing:
  • Mikey!
  • How did they keep those uniforms so clean?  Even with one performance, all of that dirt must have gotten somewhere.
  • I hear some Asian influence in the music, which is beautiful and serene.
  • Mmmm..shades of other shows.  Warm smiles.
  • Those are cool drums!  Where are those from?  Is that from another show I'm not remembering?  Or maybe these were supposed to be in their 2020 show.
  • Nice rifle catch!  Yes, I'm aware that there were likely multiple takes, but still, nice!
  • WHERE did that hight note come from?!?!
  • I didn't understand the design on the flags at first, but when they kept them still, I finally saw the V.  
  • Ah, that ending.  Gorgeous.
  • Crying now as I write this.  There really is No Place Like Santa Clara.
As I was writing this page, V was texting me and I told her that I had tears in my eyes because of SCV.  She asked if I had watched Galen Hooks' short film on which this is based.  So I did.  Now I'm crying again.

Until we meet again, Vanguard.  March On.

You can check out other (mostly unofficial) 2021 performances on YouTube, like Phantom Regiment's tribute to their 2003 show, "Harmonic Journey", which was the fan favorite. (Uh oh, I'm crying again).  I will not be posting about those, but I hope you peruse and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment