Saturday, August 10, 2019

This Is Really Happening

DCI Semis
Friday, August 9, 2019
Lucas Oil Stadium
Indianapolis, IN

We ate the last of our donuts in the morning while I blogged, and then headed out to Tastings for lunch.  Oh, no!  Tastings changed their hours and wouldn't be open until noon, which would make for a really tight schedule to get to semi-finals.  So we walked around and found a place called Nada, which V had previously checked out online.  We weren't sure if we'd get good Mexican food in Indianapolis so we were wary, but we went in anyway.  We ordered our drinks, and V ordered her favorite stout, which had only just arrived and wasn't chilled yet.  She was willing to forgo the chilling process, but they said it wouldn't taste right.  She ordered something else, and they didn't have that either, so she finally decided on a drink that was actually available.  No, not water.  I ordered The No-Name Cocktail, which was made with libèlula tequila, strawberries, triple sec, campari, fresh lemon, and agave.  It was tasty.  For lunch, I ordered chicken enchiladas, which were served under a lot of sauce.  It was a little spicy for me, but it tasted good, and Bro and V helped me finish it because we had also ordered chips and guacamole and I was getting full.  I was annoyed because my boss contacted me regarding an urgent work issue, and I'm glad I was able to handle it even after having a cocktail.  

No-Name Cocktail and chips with guac

Chicken Enchiladas


We walked to the stadium and our bags weren't searched, but I hadn't put snacks in my bag anyway, so it didn't matter.  We moseyed around a little bit before going to our seats, which were in row 5 of section 141, seats 8-10.  Bro had his Earasers ready for all of the loudness!

The Star-Spangled Banner was performed by the University of Minneapolis Trumpet Ensemble.  Nice harmonies!

*Top 12 scoring corps advance to Finals

SEATTLE CASCADES -- 73.275
Ooh, that's a loud start to today.  They use that cool keytar thing.  Pink sleeves and gloves are cool.   I like seeing the corps members do their own dance moves during the ballad.

I like the pattern on his shako

I want one!  I'm not as cool as she is, though.

JERSEY SURF -- 75.9
The folks behind us started chanting "East Coast", but one of the Surf staff members informed them that they were trying to stop all that, and asked us to join him in saying, "Surf's Up!"  Now THAT I'll say.  I really like that show, even without any real mermaids.  It's even prettier up close, and I could hear the bubble sounds.

Pretty!

Surf Drums


MUSIC CITY -- 76.65
Cute little antics during the pre-show, like one of the mice batting around a mellophone in the front field.  They have covers on their drums for the first part of the program, so you don't see the cheese until later on.  They have cheese rifles, too!  That's another entertaining show brought to you by Music City.

Eek!  A mouse!

Love this flag


GOLD -- 77.1
Sparkly, but not too sparkly.  I see that the tarp got curled up again.  Nice high solo saber toss!  

Look, Ma!  One hand!

Look, Ma!  NO hands!


LEGENDS -- 78.4
The show starts with the corps kneeling and rowing boats.  Nice sound!  I'm glad that I got to see these water shows more than once.

Water lining

Great solo!


GENESIS -- 78.725
Their bass drum heads are different on each side.  I love that we end the year in front of their wall of sound.  Let's take care of Mother Nature, people!  

Mother Nature

Genesis drums


SPARTANS -- 80.35
It looks like their platforms are the same ones that the Cadets used last year, and yesterday they made me want a neapolitan ice cream sandwich.  That show ROCKS!  Great trumpet and trombone solos.   I like how the trombone player uses his slide to knock off someone from getting on his platform.  I heart the Spartans CG.  I also love those drums.

Rhythm Section

Other Rhythm Section with cameo from drum judge

Awesome trumpet soloist


<Intermission>
V and I got delicious pretzels from the pretzel stand.  V marveled at the huge piece of dough from which the woman made really long strands to tie into pretzel shapes.

TROOPERS -- 81.663
The DM on the left was all intense after the first song, then relaxed for the ballad.  The judge almost got run over when the corps ran to the space in front of the pit.  One of the guys got really emotional at the end, and was yelling and crying, which made V start to cry.  




MADISON SCOUTS -- 82.138
They received a standing ovation for that very fast drill, and it was well deserved.  I got faked out at the end again, but I do really like that last piece.  I was worried that the DM on the left side was going to get hit by the camera.  I worried like that for several of the DMs throughout the evening.



Madison Drums

COLTS -- 84.225
I so love that transition between hell and frozen hell.  The performers are so animated and clearly love what they're doing.  Wow, that trumpet sound during the trio!

Hell

Frozen Over


ACADEMY -- 84.3
The playful portion is during "London Bridge is Falling Down".  The contra players got all crazy after the show ended.  Dan Potter made people cry when he interviewed someone who was aging out after 8 years with The Academy.  

Didn't notice they were laying down before

Academy Drums


PACIFIC CREST -- 85.35
Go, George!  That's my friend's son's friend.  Got that?  Those trumpets!  Great CG, too.  Uh-oh: tarp issue.  So, so proud of you, PC!  Congratulations on such a successful season: highest placement ever!



SPIRIT OF ATLANTA -- 85.588
The DM cracked us up when she started her salute with a very stern face, then when her hand swept across her face, she gave a huge, goofy smile.  It was hilarious.  Cool SOA deltas on the back of the black uniforms.   CLAP CLAP!  I noticed halfway through the show that there are two drum kits in the front ensemble.  Love those rifles!

Contras

Drums

Rifles


CROSSMEN -- 88.225*
The Valkyrie that leads in the corps is actually the drum major.  Cool!  She flexed her muscles when she got onto her platform.   Vikings play electric guitar.  OK, they do play the Wagner throughout the show.  I don't know how I missed that yesterday.  They're throwing axes into the air!!!  I'm glad that we get to see this show again at Finals.

Entrance

DM Flex

Viking Drummers

Archery Dancing


PHREGIMENT -- 87.775*
Oh, now I see the double horns, but we think they're actually playing them.  I should have realized that there were male CG members at the outset yesterday when they're carrying Joan away during the pre-show, because they didn't have any instruments.  "This is our battle song."  I might sing that with them at Finals.  I don't know the rest of the lyrics, though.

Rifle Toss

Battle Song


MANDARINS -- 89.438*
Oh, she kills him with a sword!  I did not notice that yesterday.  That rifle work is just WOW.

Do the Conga


<Intermission>
We took a picture using the Lucas Oil big picture thing.  V will not let me post it because we were being lame.

CADETS -- 89.8*
Nice to hear the Old Hundredth Psalm hymn in their 85th Anniversary show. I didn't notice the banners at the end yesterday.  The way the CG flags go under that bridge is what I wanted the Academy to do during their show, also during the Troubled Water piece.  I guess it's good that they didn't; maybe it was too obvious?  I don't know, but Cadets are in finals and they did the move.  I'm just saying.

I feel like those should be Phregiment Phlags

I want her hat.
 She doesn't care about it, because she kicked it off of the stand
 just moments after I took this picture.


BLUE STARS -- 91.3*
The sleds are definitely made purposely as a profile of a wolf.  They confirmed it when I posted on Instagram.  I favor the CG uniforms over the others.   I like the way the low brass starts off the piece from "Moana".

Wolf Pack Flags

Wolf Pack People


BLUE KNIGHTS -- 92.625*
I bet you didn't ever think you'd hear Robert De Niro's voice in a drum corps show, did you?  I bet he didn't know his voice would be accompanied by sparkles, either.  Go, Alaina!

Home


BOSTON CRUSADERS -- 93.413*
Yay, herald trumpeters!  Wait.  But I still see his head on his body.  I don't think I was supposed to see that.  Bro and V saw that they turned the plinko board right away afterward, so they think Goliath got injured when he got back onto the stand, because V saw him pointing to his leg.  I told you those things were dangerous!  CG was outstanding!  (Crusaders received a 1 point penalty for warming up outside the designated area.) 

Heralds

Snares

Giant


CAVALIERS -- 95.213*
I love being able to hear those horns up close.  Go, Edward!  Dan Potter interviewed a CG member about how expressive he is and is so much fun to watch.  

Two rifles at once

Fancy hip action


CROWN -- 96.025*
Tossing horns into the air makes people nervous.  "The power in the detail is the movement."  I think that's what they're saying.  The drum judge picked up someone's stick from the ground, then was so busy watching the pit that he was in the CG gal's way, and she smiled at him.  He clearly wanted to go on the field to follow the battery several times during the evening, and I enjoyed watching him chase them around however he could.

Crown Drummers


SCV -- 96.325*
VAAANGUAAAAARRRRRDDDDD!  We yelled this time.  Whoo! They were on fire!  I went bananas after that first piece, as did Bro and the kid in front of us that was living his dream by seeing these corps live for the first time.  At one point, he said, "I can't believe this is really happening", and I teared up, it was so sweet.

SCV Drums


BLUE DEVILS -- 97.7*
I love hearing the crowd reaction when the walls go down and back up.  Awesome job, Devils.

BD Drums



BLUECOATS -- 97.55*
Never mind.  They're playing the whole time.  I didn't see the mellos last night.  It's fun to stand up and sing "Hey, Jude" with them.

Bloo in Blues


Exhibition
Open Class World Champions Encore -- Spartans
Aw, one last time!

We walked back to the hotel instead of staying to hear the last 3 scores or watch the Age-Out ceremony.  We were hungry, and the wait for the bars downstairs were too long, so we ordered room service, which was a wise idea because it took probably the same amount of time as we would to just get a table.  Then they forgot my Texas Toast.  Then I realized I didn't really like it.  Oh well.  I still got to eat my salmon and mashed potatoes before winding down and finally going to bed.

Next up: FINALS






No comments:

Post a Comment