Saturday, August 11, 2018

Bring on the Babylon!

DCI Semifinals
Friday, August 10, 2018
Lucas Oil Stadium
Indianapolis, IN

I enjoyed my blueberry donut from Jack's Donuts as I blogged this morning.  Once everyone was ready, we walked over to our traditional Semifinals place: Tastings.  The closest wine we could find to the theme of Vanguard's show was a cabernet sauvignon from The Prisoner Winery.  Vanguard's show includes "My Body is a Cage" by Arcade Fire, as performed by Peter Gabriel.

Food we ordered: 
Seared Ahi Tuna

Shrimp Ceviche

Goat Cheese & Fig Flatbread


Wine we tasted (*favorite):
First round
V: 2013 Angulo Innocente Cabernet Sauvignon from La Consulta, Argentina
Bro: 2016 The Prisoner Wine Co Red Blend from Napa Valley*
Sher: 2016 Donnafugata Sherazade Nero D'Avola from Sicily, Italy*

V chose the Innocente because it was not-jail.  I chose the Sherazade to honor SCV's 2014 show.  I erred and got a double tasting, so it's good this ended up being my favorite.
This label caught my eye a few years ago.
I had a sip of Bro's, but prefer the one I chose today.

Love this label!


Second round
Bro:  2016 Iconic Wines Sidekick Cabernet Sauvignon from California
Sher: 2017 Chateau D'Angles Le Rose from Languedoc, France

Third round
Bro got some 2016 Force of Nature Cabernet Sauvignon, to honor SCV's 2016 show.  We all love this wine, so I'll give it *** for each of us.

This painting is totally me.

We passed through the lane of food trucks just for fun, and V got a free little basketball from the NCAA Basketball Hall of Fame, which she then promptly asked me to carry for her.  We walked to the stadium and shopped around to see if any of the corps had special stuff available for Semifinals night.  We only saw that SCV had a new shirt, in honor of their awesome snap which has the drum corps community all impressed.  

I didn't buy this, but I do like it
We also said hi to Oregon Crusaders' Benji.  He sniffed us and was very polite.

Our seats were in Section 141, Row 9, Seats 12-14, on the left 35-yard line.

The Star-spangled Banner was performed by the US Army Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps.

*Top 12 advance to Finals

SPARTANS -- 74.250
Beautiful show!  Now THAT'S the way to start a semifinals day!  The front ensemble played a gorgeous Claire de Lune, then the horns joined, and it's just...yessssss!


Vitruvian Man screen and flags

Mona Lisa

Flying Machine


GENESIS -- 74.475
Nice, simple show without crazy props.  The music was beautifully played.  I wanted to waltz along during Que Sera Sera.  The front ensemble was clearly having a great time!

Drum Major Salute


Front Ensemble Smiles

Pretty iridiscent flags

GOLD -- 75.425
Welcome to Semifinals, Gold!  Beautiful horn solo in the ballad.  Nice trumpet ensemble solo, too.

OREGON CRUSADERS -- 77.100
Yay, Brandt pronounced "Redrum" right.  I love this show!  So many awesome elements from "The Shining"; they even do the "come here" motion with their index fingers.   Some ladies in the front in the audience had red fans like the props they use in the show.  Neither V nor I remember red fans being in the movie.  Beautiful trio and solo during "Uninvited", and it's a perfect time to play it in the show, with the woman coming out of room 237.  This is now my favorite O Cru show. 
 
Come Play With Us


Aaaahhhh!!!

Wait.  That's what RedRum means?  

River of Blood

MUSIC CITY -- 78.175
Front ensemble must have had fun playing that first piece.  Great show!  I love all of the train-like movements.  V confused Casey Jones with Casey Jr., which is the circus train that carried Dumbo.  Casey Jones' story is a tragic one.

The train's a comin'

Dancing is fun!

Casey following the light

PACIFIC CREST -- 79.300
Brandt: "Drum majors, is your band -- is your corps ready?"
Stir from the crowd, and man in back of us yelled, "How long have you been doing this?!"
Sacrilege, Brandt!  
He then said, "The corps is ready."  (He doesn't usually say this).
Now the show is loud enough.  In row 9.  I love that I want to dance with all of the songs, even the balletic moments.  Beautiful show.  Happy 25th Anniversary, PC.  
Oh, "GO EMMANUEL!!!!!"

I love the detail on their uniforms


Go, Emmanuel!

BLUE DEVILS B -- 80.038
Oh, there IS "Coco"!  V pointed out to me that they play a little bit of "Remember Me".  I like the sugar skulls on the drums.

<Intermission>
I had a grilled chicken Caesar salad.  Bro had an Italian Meat sandwich again.  V had a pulled pork sandwich.  I wonder if Bro will order same sandwich tomorrow.  He really seems to like it.

TROOPERS -- 81.788
The drum major handed over his gun and sword before getting up on the podium.  I love the look of "Nailed it!" on the trumpet soloist's face.  I'm so proud of the improvement of this show since SCV Family Day.  It's like they're part of the Vanguard Family this season.  I'm going to miss this show.

My seat neighbor said he is as cute as he is charming

SCVC -- 81.025
The woman sitting next to me has a grandson who plays baritone for SCVC, and he's a rookie.  She said they were all bawling the other night when they got the gold medal.  I like what happens after the corps dances:  the color guard gal jumps off the stage, then the stage opens up so the drummers can come through. The pit members move the marimbas to a diagonal so the corps can run between them to get to the front of the field.  Awesome job, SCVC!
Drum Major Salute


MADISON SCOUTS -- 82.988
I understand this show more with the narration, and that irritates me.  Whenever I see their uniforms light up, I want to hear "Turn On Your Heart Light".  

Soul


Drummers are lit

Happy Ending


COLTS -- 84.613
There have been a few corps this year with the same red/gray scheme, which I kinda like.  All of the loud recorded stuff (not just Colts) is making my ears hurt.  OK, now I understand the story of this show.  

ACADEMY -- 84.563
Aw, she wrote "I love my mom and dad"on the board!  Sweet.  I like their drums.
Class Time



Academy Drums


SPIRIT -- 85.588
I like the way they use their long skirts as props to help the visual.  I figured out that my ears were hurting because we were in direct line of the speakers, and since we're in the 9th row, we're quite close.  Later corps had the speakers farther from the 50, so it wasn't that much of an issue.  I was getting ready to buy earplugs at one of the booths. 




CROSSMEN -- 87.250*
Hi, Bones! (I missed seeing him yesterday).  I wish they had their make-your-own-bracelet stuff when they came out West a couple of years ago, because I definitely would have made one.  Come see us again, please.  Great job, Brass!  Oh, that guy is singing.  He has a nice voice.  I wish I could understand the lyrics, though.


She's upside down!

I like this color scheme

Bones

Parasol in one hand, playing trumpet solo with the other

All I know is he's not singing
"Music of the Night"


MANDARINS -- 88.663*
YES!!!!!  Color guard was ON FIRE!!!  Go, rifles!  The cheesy glowy cube is no longer cheesy.  Bro says the tarps frame the field better.  OK, but is it necessary?  I don't remember all of those crazy sounds from the trombones, but I like them.  SEE YOU TOMORROW!!!  I'm really happy for them; they've truly earned their first spot in World Class Finals.  Mandarins was a consistent winner of their division back in the Division II and III days, so this is just another step up for them, and I'm happy to say that I've watched their progression for a while, and am a proud fan.  When their score was announced, the Californians were very excited. They didn't just *make it* to Finals; they are in 10th place at the moment, AND they jumped Phregiment, so that is an amazing accomplishment.

This is not a good photo of the non-cheesy cube,
but I like her pose.



PHREGIMENT -- 87.7*
That pas de deux is just him throwing her, then her returning, then him throwing her again repeatedly.  She's like an abused woman.  V and I did not like that.  They have their chevron on their sleeves.


Drum major sleeve

Phregiment Kick Out


<Intermission>
I ate loaded tots, and V had a smoothie, as we sat in the Crowne Royale room, which we had never seen before.  We sat by the window, and I wondered if the Bluecoats CG could see us as they warmed up.  

BLUE KNIGHTS -- 89.038*
LET'S GO, SEAN!!!  Again.  Sean is very expressive and clearly loves what he's doing out there.  I know because I spent most of the show following him with my camera so V can send him some shots.  
LET'S!


GO!!

SEAN!!!


BLUE STARS -- 90.475*
V tried not to laugh at the drill or the guy with the measuring tape.  I didn't notice their orange rifles yesterday.  I must have been trying (and failing) to see where the drill noise was coming from.  Perhaps I was sleepy, because that segment lasts a while, and they also have extension cords that I didn't see yesterday.  They really like being carpenters.  Very nice sound, Brass!
Guys and their sizes

House

CADETS -- 91.863*
The singing is well done, but is it necessary?  Their final flags are their old uniform, and a guy appears wearing their old uniform at the end.  I'm not sure if the crowd went crazy over the Z Pull, or over seeing the old uniform, because I think they happened at the same time.  The uniform thing was a new surprise tonight.  I wondered why someone was walking around in that uniform yesterday.  Maybe they were giving us a hint?

Front Ensemble


Uniform Flag


CAVALIERS -- 93.538*
Crazy rifles, crazy!  Uh, oh.  The tarp got tangled.  I love that brass ensemble.  When the horn players are lying down on their sides and playing, the color guard steps over them.  I want to learn the words to that song: "Every fashion magazine..."

Drum Major Salute


Double Trust Fall

Fabulous


BOSTON CRUSADERS -- 94.588*
Most of the cool stuff happens on the right side, which is a bummer when you're sitting up close and on the left side.  Great job, color guard!  The brass sounded great.  I'm even more convinced now that they all drowned: they disappeared when the tide came over them, and I never saw a ship.


CAROLINA CROWN -- 95.475*
I like that trombone feature, leading in the rest of the brass.  The drum beats signifying the beast's footsteps:  scary!  Their big middle flag was tangled in the end.  V thinks their hats look like dinosaurs.  I totally knew what she meant.  
Sher: You mean like whatever-asaurs?
V:  Yes.
(It's the parasaurolophus, by the way.  Google is my friend).


Drum Major Salute

They're wearing crowns!

TEETH


BLOO -- 96.588*
One of the cameramen was filming the beatniks before the show, and one of them finally broke a smile.  Guy in our section:  "We get it, you're cool!"  Ooh, a female tympanist!  Their vocalist has a perfect voice for this style of jazz.  Fun trombone feature.  I like that red-haired gal's beehive hairdo.  We saw her warming up when I was eating my loaded tots.


Snares

She's cool


BLUE DEVILS -- 96.75*
The trumpet soloist is in the window of the building at the end of the show.  The horn players now have a blue glove on their right hands.  What is that about?  Bro thinks they'll be sparkly tomorrow.  Why?  For Michael Jackson?  V said that's the wrong hand.  Also, it's only one segment of the show, and it's a recording.  I don't know.


Gloves

 Soloist in building


SCV -- 98.263*
That. Was.  SPECTACULAR.  Don't fall!  All of us in the Vanguard section went apeshit crazy.  My throat was sore from all of the screaming.  

Flight


It's like they knew I was taking their picture


Awards happened.  Stone from SCV received an award, and Volunteer of the Year was awarded to Stephanie, one of the SCV Faithful.  Thank you for all you do for the corps!

Winners of the Performers Showcase were introduced, including folks from SCV:
Baritone Leobardo, Trombone Skyler, Tuba Nick, Snare Cameron, and Tenor Josh, whose name and category wasn't listed, and when Dan Potter asked him who won Tenor, Josh just said, "Me."  Cute.


SCV Performers

Exhibition Performance:  FREE PLAYERS DRUM & BUGLE CORPS
This corps is the first corps for special needs/differently abled folks, and they are an inspiration.  They played songs from "Rocky", and their show was titled "Against All Odds".  I just couldn't stop smiling as they performed, knowing that this was a dream come true for everyone involved.  The crowd poured out their love for them, and I got all teary.  Thank you, Mandarins, for your role in helping them out today.  
Dan Potter:  Now THAT'S the power of music!



DCI In Memoriam

DCI Hall of Fame Inductees:
Jim Coates

Ken Turner

Age-out ceremony
Academy Age-outs wore mortarboards, in theme with their show and, well, them.  Colts had a pop-up tent and a sleeping bag.  I don't know why.




When we got back to the hotel, I went to the business center to print my tickets for Rockapella.  In the elevator was the lady who was sitting by me at tonight's show, whom had come down to the 2nd floor to get ice.  Hi, again, and good night!  We needed to rest up for the next day of no sleep, so no after-party for us.

Next up:  FINALS



Hoping to see this at least a couple of times tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your DCI posts. Glad I came back to your blog in time for Championships!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you came back, too! Thank you for reading!

      Delete