Sunday, May 20, 2018

Dinosaur Eats Man. Woman Inherits The Earth.

Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Celebration
Universal Studios Hollywood
Friday, May 11, 2018

My friend Linda loves dinosaurs.  I love "Jurassic Park".  So does our friend Liz.  We got tickets for the 25th Anniversary event at Universal Studios and met at CityWalk.  Linda happily parked in the Jurassic Park lot, which was good, because I had stuff to put into her car after I came over from work on the Metro.

We walked in and got Liz's and my credentials (Linda arrived early and had already received hers).  I was kind of glad that the lanyard was plain because I had just bought one with a JP when we were there a month ago.  

We're InGen guests!

I wonder how different each night's
 itinerary was from ours.


There were signs for the event that looked like the ones in the movie.  Hoping they wouldn't be knocked down by Dennis Nedry, we followed the arrows.


I waited for the globe to turn to get
the proper letters in the photo.

They had a store that was all-JP, and we weren't even at the event yet!  I had bought a bucket hat at CityWalk because of the periodic drizzle dampening us that evening.

I'm under there somewhere.

The score to JP was playing as we descended to the lower lot on the escalators.  We were standing by the event stage when the event started, and they told us there was special food at the Jurassic Park Cafe, so we went there to check it out, even though none of us were hungry.  I quickly decided that I needed dessert as soon as I saw what was offered.

Dinosaur Egg on chocolate mousse and icing

Amber Jell-O with chocolate mosquito

Logo cookie

Footprint Cookie



These were, like, Flintstones-Big

The first time I sat in this cafe, I lamented that they didn't sell Jell-O so I could reenact the scene in the movie when the raptors show up to hunt the kids.  So, OF COURSE I had to get the Jell-O cup!  Linda's dinosaur tried to eat it, but was unsuccessful.



We then watched the panel of effects artists that worked on the film.   Some kind of raptor battle happened on the other side of where we were standing, so I only saw a raptor head or two, but not the actual action.  An official walk-around character Dr. Hammond helped the official Muldoon character calm the situation.  Jurassic World director Colin Treverrow moderated the discussion with First Assistant Director John Kretchmer, Cinematographer and Ship Captain portrayer Dean Cundey, and Visual Effects Supervisor Dennis Muren.  The video of the panel is currently on YouTube.
John Kretchmer



We shopped a little bit, then decided we needed to have protein, and had dinner at the place by the Transformers attraction.  I got a couple of cookies for the family to enjoy.  We walked around a little bit and finally found the place where they had the prop exhibits and activities.  I don't know why it took us so long.  It's not a big area.  I guess it was just hidden well, and since we didn't get on the actual ride, we were not in a place to see it.  We saw that the line was long, and the Ls convinced me to go to the activity area and rejoin them in line afterward. 

 


Model of raptor and egg

I might want one of these signs at my house.

Dinosaur not to scale

Mattel display

Hamster Ball

This pteranadon was huge

More replicas

I couldn't find them when I returned to the exhibit line, so I waited for them, and insisted that they join me to take a picture with the green screen.  It turned out to be free!



Aaaaahhhh!!!!

I don't know why the lady was telling everyone that the last tram to the theater was leaving at 9:30 when the guy earlier said that they'd start loading at that time.  Whatever.  We got our photo print, made a quick pit stop, and walked to the tram, which picked us up behind the area where we had eaten dinner.

During the tram ride, they showed clips of the film, as well as some making-of moments.  It was pretty cool!  Some vehicles were parked outside the theater at CityWalk, and we picked up our tickets.  Universal had reserved all of the theaters for event goers to watch the film!  Although I didn't get to see the props back at the park, at least I got to see the displays at the theater.



Are they heavy?  Then they're expensive.
Put them back.

Life found a way

Ellie's outfit

They are quite efficient at this theater.  They had popcorn ready for purchase, and you pick up whatever is ready, then pay at one of the many registers.  If you want to order the non-regular items, you can order and wait for those.

Before they played the movie, they showed a film of different fans' renditions of scenes from the movie.  I really enjoyed it.  Then they showed us 5 minutes of the new Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.  EXCITED!!!  It was really great to see Jurassic Park on the big screen again. The dinosaurs will never cease to amaze me.

We walked to the other side of the building to look at the props they had on display.

No menthol?


Not my Jell-O

Triceratops feet maquette

Nedry's raincoat

We said goodbye to Liz before going to the parking lot to see the other vehicles on display, including the cool motor home.  It was big!

Love the dilophosaurus!

Replica of Motor Home from Lost World


This does not get old for me.  I need one.

California Division

I wish I had a replica vehicle so I could
get this sticker.

The event was enjoyable, despite some of the hiccups of employees not giving out consistent information.  Thank you for hosting, Universal Studios!












No comments:

Post a Comment