Friday, July 4, 2014

SCV 2014 Riverside - Clowns


The video below is from after the Riverside show this year.  SCV played their corps song for Ray Velarde and his family.  Ray and his brother, Art, were on their way to SCV camp one night  in 1999 and were in an accident that caused Art's death.  

I remember that year well, because it was the year that Bro and I first went to Finals, accompanied by his best friend, Chun.  The corps tied the Blue Devils for the championship, and when SCV played their song in their encore, everyone's hearts, corps and fans together, were thinking of Art.  It was a bittersweet moment for the corps as they celebrated their come-from-behind win and mourned their fallen brother.  I remember seeing the emotion on drum major Michael's face, while the drum line watched arm-in-arm, with tears streaming down many, many cheeks (both Art and Ray were part of the drum line).

I never really felt the impact of this song because I never saw the show that it came from, "A Little Night Music".   But 1999 SCV changed all that for me, and their rendition is the one I prefer over anyone else's.

15 years later, I still cry for people I've never met.  We haven't forgotten you, Art.


No comments:

Post a Comment